Outfitting for the Tropical Flats

dharkin

Reaction score
Thanks to all who have contributed! This thread helped me outfit for my first Belize trip a few years back. A couple of contributions I will make are:

1. White socks to wear for sun protection instear of going barefoot. Slip them over a 1x2 board and spray the bottom with plasti-dip spray (multiple coats) to prevent slipping.

2. Wear tights under a pair of shorts when a lot of wading is called for. They provide sun protection and protection against biting bugs in the water, but don’t drag when wading like flapping pant legs do. I also put sunscreen on and let it dry before I don them.
Biting bugs in the water?

bonefish41

Reaction score
I use the Permethrin(Buz Off) treatment for clothes and treat one set shirt and pants for fishing/wading. On Andros when the "doctor" flies are about treated long pants even when wet from or while wading keep them off...also for ticks.
Because of recent trips to the dermatologist, I cover totally with the Buff and always hat...the using the Buff over the regular hat not S&S long billed will keep it on at 30 knot plus in the skiffBugs.jpgBiscayneBone.jpg

proheli

Reaction score
If you are having problems with sunburn, Destin (Zinc Oxide) (the white stuff you put on kids at the beach) is a near complete sun block, and it comes in extra strength. The other thing I noticed reading this thread, is that if you don’t want to use DEET, and it is understandable if you don’t, that stuff will literally rattle my nerves if I put it on, but a newer product, Picaradin, is 95% as strong as DEET and it is not toxic bad for you. It comes in spray and lotion.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
So I do have a new outfitting idea, not too radical, that I've previously expressed in the Hat Thread. Here is my idea, from now on, particularly in the Bahamas, I'm taking two hats, my normal long bill (with removable sun shade for neck and ears) and a second normal bill, up-and-downer style with a chin strap to wear while up on plane running in the skiff as my long-bill can/has blown off making me remove it exposing my unprotected scalp to the Suns direct rays. I've been thinking about two pairs of shades too, one for getting salty and then put the Smiths or Costas on for fishing ….but that seems like over the top.

okiekev

Reaction score
I am a ball cap and buffs kinda guy, but as far as glasses go, I always have two pair. One is a pair of Costa 580 glass which I feel are superior optics but I have a weird fear of the glass lenses when running. So I switch to a poly lens while the boat is moving. Paranoid? Maybe a little... I guess I am more likely to shatter that glass with a wayward gotcha but just the way my crazy mind works.

denver1911

Reaction score
I carry two hats. Normal ball cap for runs and long/wide brimmed hat with sun shade for neck. The wide brim is as i portant to me as is the length. Provides better coverage for sides of glasses preventing glare from creeping in. I get better vision that way.

As for glasses, I carry two. Brown/bronze and Maui’s HT. For different conditions. I put them in a shirt pocket and don chemistry goggles for the ride. Helps with bugs too. I got one in my eye in the salt marsh one morning even though I was wearing shades. That made for a bad day of sight fishing. Never again. Oh, and I carry ear plugs for the ride too.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I carry two pairs of fishing glasses too; Smiths Amber for lower light and cloud cover and Costa Cooper/Silver for normal bright conditions. Both glass and of equal optical quality. I was once hit in the face but not the eye by a jumping little squid while up on plane, I like the ideas of protective goggles.

okiekev

Reaction score
I used to wear a set of ski goggles when running in the bass boat and when I would take it off I was amazed at the number of bugs smashed on it like a windshield. The goggles also kept the wind from making my eyes water. May have to bring them back out.

brooktrout21

Reaction score
I know some don't like them and see them as a "fad" but I used to have bad problems with chapped lips so I started wearing a face buff and it has helped tremendously. Also, it may sound silly but once I get to the fishing area, I pull up the buff and go into "ninja mode".. It's game on at that point. I am in "the zone"
Can’t imagine not being fully covered in Hawaii. I’d go broke buying sunscreen and hate it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk