Pacu on thefly?

fq13

Reaction score
Well, to add to the Forest Gumps box of chocolate that is the exotic fishery in South Florida, We now have a new contender, the pacu. These are a vegetarian (not) relative of the pirahna. The record is 55 pounds, but most are far smaller in 2-3 pound range. There is apparently a population here in Naples. The method seems to be either stink baits or small lures like small yozuris. I can work with that. But have any of you more widely travelled folk fished for these things? They seem like the bastar d love child of a piranha and a sheep's head. Vegetarian in the amazon, eating nuts and fruit, but predatory elsewhere. I would love to hook up with one. Any thoughts?

osseous

Reaction score
They are fished for on the fly- you land a round, hard, floaty "nut" with a plop to draw their attention. The flyfishing film tour had a video about it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I have fished for them in Argentina. As osseous mentioned, the "fly" resembles a marble. Quite hard to cast actually, I think because of it being round. At least where I fished, the fly was supposed to imitate a piece of fruit falling from a tree. So often, but not always, the prime lies were under trees near the banks and as osseus mentioned a delivery with a "plop" was desirable--making the fish think a piece of fruit had just dropped. I probably fished a sinking fly/marble about 90% of the time, but sometimes a floating (so I guess a "dry" though again it's hard to think of it as a fly). I did not use an indicator with the sinking fly, and would just watch the line-leader connection and set when I saw it tighten. Some takes were strong enough to feel. The ones I caught were probably between 7-12 pounds, and they fight pretty hard. I think I put all but one on the reel. In case you wonder what they look like, I've put a pic below.

P2210409.JPG

osseous

Reaction score
Very cool. Hope to get the opportunity some day.

Carter Andrews has a great show on Pacu as well- might be able to search it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Very cool. Hope to get the opportunity some day.
It's always exciting to catch a new species, and if I had the opportunity to fish for them locally I'd do it occasionally, but FWIW I didn't really care for it all that much. As mentioned the fish fight hard and so it was fun trying to land them, but hookups aren't all that common (for me and others I fished with at least) and I just didn't really care for the technique--blind cast, dead drift, hope to feel a grab (wash, rinse, repeat). It probably didn't help that it was around 100 degrees with no shade. The focus of my trip was Golden Dorado, but they tend to be most active early and late and so we usually fished for Pacu just before and after lunch. It was certainly fine for a couple of hours, but personally not something I'd make a special, long-distance trip for--unlike Golden Dorado. :) But it's always nice to mix things up so if able to target locally or as part of a destination trip then I'd say by all means do it. Just my two cents, YMMV.