Palomar knot strength attached to a barrel swivel

Northcountryman

Reaction score
I was rigging my gear up for salmon fishing and thought I’d try using a Palomar knot-As opposed to Using my normal improved clinch knot- to increase the strength of the tie to the barrel swivel; However , the opposite seemed to occur. When I applied pressure , I was able to break the Palomar Knot with my hands with some difficulty but not the improved clinch knot. I figured that the Palomar would be stronger due to its structure , more specifically , the fact that it is doubled when wrapped around the barrel swivel. This should increase strength by Differentiating the force onto 2 strands as opposed to just one I would think , right? But the clinch knot appeared superior : why??

leadfootedfool

Reaction score
The variables on knot strength are huge. Line material and line diameter are 2 of the biggest factors as well as the knot being tied properly. If you really want to see the difference in the knots, try each way 30 times and see if your results are the same.

ny yankee

Reaction score
The Palomar is an excellent knot with mono, tied correctly. It is the knot I teach to youngsters when we go fishing. I see no real reason why it would have done that other than being tied incorrectly, faulty or damaged leader material or a burr on the eye cutting into the line. I usually always use the Palomar for any terminal tackle and flies down to about 16. smaller than that, I use a Clinch.

Northcountryman

Reaction score
The Palomar is an excellent knot with mono, tied correctly. It is the knot I teach to youngsters when we go fishing. I see no real reason why it would have done that other than being tied incorrectly, faulty or damaged leader material or a burr on the eye cutting into the line. I usually always use the Palomar for any terminal tackle and flies down to about 16. smaller than that, I use a Clinch.
Yes , I’m sorry , you are correct ; I was tying it incorrectly and that’s why it broke

al_a

Reaction score
When I'm using an inline two fly rig, I often tie the top fly with a palomar knot, leaving a long tag end to which I attach the bottom fly. It works very well, but he odd thing I've found is that if the line does break on a snag, it almost invariably breaks right at the palomar knot, but leaving the top fly attached. So while the palomar knot itself is probably stronger than the improved clinch that I usually use on the bottom fly, the tag end side of the palomar apparently is weaker.

Northcountryman

Reaction score
It has its place and utility in certain fishing situations , for example , When fishing Salmon during the run in the great lakes tribs. More often than not , you’re standing nearly shoulder to shoulder with other fisherman , most holding a spinning rod in their hands and casting room is minimal , to say the least . The spin fisherman requires much less casting room than fly fisherman , and so , holds an advantage . To compensate for this inherent disadvantage , the fly fisherman can adapt and modify his tackle a bit , hence, the chuck n duck method . Barrel swivels are an integral part of this setup and are quite useful , although , I will admit , that the integrity of what is thought of as “ real Flyfishing “ is most certainly compromised

JoJer

Reaction score
I was surprised when our steelhead guide rigged like that on medium sized water, on a10" 7 wt Sage RPL III, with a HUGE white/red Styrofoam stick bobber, and two swivels. I don't even remember the fly.
That out fit cast like a dream.
Me Too! First knot I taught my kids.

Northcountryman

Reaction score
I was surprised when our steelhead guide rigged like that on medium sized water, on a10" 7 wt Sage RPL III, with a HUGE white/red Styrofoam stick bobber, and two swivels. I don't even remember the fly.
That out fit cast like a dream.
Me Too! First knot I taught my kids.