Panama City/Destin Area in September

bks

Reaction score
We are headed to this area for a week in early Sept. My wife and I fly fish in freshwater and want to try saltwater fly fishing. We need recommendation for a guide in that general area and what would be some of the easier targets for newbies. Haha

Thanks for any help

Stanler

Reaction score
Slow and Low Coastal Outfitters, Patrick Tarpey. I would call him first.

Shallow Water Expeditions in Santa Rosa Beach. I don’t have a number but a Google a search will get it for you. They have several very good guides.

Reactions: bks

ed from bama

Reaction score
Good morning to all-

bks- That's a good time to be fly fishing here on the Gulf Coast. I can't help you much with guide recommendations, but I can tell you that quite often, you can guide yourself to some good fly fishing here.
On nearly any Gulf Coast beach in late summer/September you can watch for birds working the close-in surf and put any kind of white/silver/chartreuse streamer into feeding fish and have a ball with ladyfish ( called skipjacks, here, colloquially) blue runners, and even the occasional Spanish mackerel, who will bite off your fly in less than an eyeblink. Early, early in the morning is best for this kind of sight-surf fishing.
As the sun rises, you can often see fish just beyond the breaking surf cruising the gut where the water drops off to two feet or so deep before the first bar. These will often be redfish, and although they'll take a live shrimp faster, they will often jump on a fly. Redfish on a fly rod are more fun than the law should allow.
The lower the surf, the better for fly casting because generally that means the wind is not too bad.

You ought to have fun- let us know where you went and how you did.

good day to all- Ed

okaloosa

Reaction score
Capt Tom Campbell
I have fished with Tom over 15 years from Homosassa to New Orleans but Sept is Gulf Coast from Destin to Panama City.
I would imagine mostly Bonito early on the fly, or specks (seatrout) under lights at night.
also, Capt Pat Dineen
caught my first Tarpon with Pat, too long ago to remember.
He likes to cruise the Gulf shoreline looking for bull reds, big jacks, tarpon etc....
Both great guides and fun guys.....