Patagonia Danner Foot tractors aluminum bar

adealarcon

Reaction score
Much has been said about this boot on introduction related to price and cost. With a hefty price tag but the added benefit/potential to renew the boot.

I have owned boots from many manufactures in the past including the older felt danners from decades ago that were a huge splurge in my 20s. I have owned various versions of the simms guide boots and most recently back to patagonia.

As many have stated in the forums finding the right or perfect boot can be difficult. Many factors come into play including fit, what kind of fishing you do and the specifics of your foot anatomy.

Personally I have always felt like I struggled with finding perfect fit. Always seemed like evvery boot had something not quite right.....toe box to narrow. slight heel slippage to get right toe box. To “short” despite right width. Great fit wet wading and terrible fit in waders with booties.

So I have owned the boots for 6 months. Joys of covid have meant forcing me and my son to discover and fish more local waters including some close ish trout water. Consequently the foot tractors have gotten alot of water time. Recently with a short vacation relatively close to home fishing small streams in the virginia blue ridges.

Size 10 boot: I wear a size 10 normally so its true to size more so than I have found in prior boots both from patagonia and simms where a 10 always felt slight too tight and would have to size up.

Waders and fit: I have worth these with both patagonia packable waders ( version from last year that was prior to the remake to the swift currents) and a older model rio gallegos. The rio gallegos are currently at patagonia for a repair of a leaky bootie.

In the packable waders which have a very think rubber like bootie which is great for summer. Fits well but slighlty loose. Add a wading sock, and add neoprene guard socks and fits snug dry but very quickly looses with wading in the water.

Worn with the rio gallegos pre sending back with wool sock and the neoprene like bootie. similar fit to above. Snug no where uncomfortable and with some loosening in with getting the boots in the stream.

Heel fit is perfect. Toe box is perhaps the most comfortable I have worn....ever. Its wider than most wading boots but it gives it room for your feet to have some more room I might have a slightly wider forefoot so may be why I really like this part. If you have a narrow foot I could see this as an issue for fit

Ankle support and comfort. So this got heavily tested on the blue ride streams. These streams are freestone with slick rocks and some interesting footing. The support on these boots is really great. They are form fitting and comfortable without feeling like you are wearing clodhoppers where you cant move your ankles and feel welded in. All I can say is Bravo patagonia and danner. They threaded the need to give a supportive wading boot that didnt feel like a brick or needed 50 days to break in.

Grip: What can I say the aluminam bars truly work. I am now in the converted. I have worn felt, stick rubber, stick rubber with studs. These were outstanding on par from my recollection with felt which I havent worn in ages. These held on slimy rocks with no slippage and never had my foot slip. These work. I you are hestitating on this part. dont.....way better than anything I have tried to date.

Construction: So far have held up. Some nicks and stratches to the leather but have not gotten super stiff like the old danners of old. Remain comfortable and easy to slip back on after drying out.

Summary: So far these are the best wading boots I have owned bar none. Will have to see how they now hold up to years of abuse. Have to give it to Patagonia I think they now have a wading boot that is 1st class and should be considered. If they truly do last a “lifetime” the cost will be well worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JoJer

Reaction score
There was a recent post here about Danner wading boots . Seems lots of folks found them too narrow.

zjory

Reaction score
Glad to hear your positive impressions as I bought a pair of these a couple months ago as my G3s were coming apart at the seams and am hoping for a boot that will last much longer. I have hardly used them as this time of year all my fishing is long hikes into the mountains and the Foot Tractors are certainly terrible hiking boots. They do seem like they will be great wading boots.

hatidua

Reaction score
Once I got the size right they have been perfect but my original pair were fantastic when trying them on (dry) and instantly too big when wet. Mine have seen at least three days of use per week for many months now. I have both the Foot Tractor and the RiverSalt, both are outstanding.

zjory

Reaction score
Had my first real day with these yesterday. Did 8 miles, much of it in the river. Also some steep terrain in and out of the river that requires sure footing. I was sure that these would be great in the water, which they we’re, but they exceeded my expectations for hiking. Very comfortable and well fitting boots (they have a big toe box, which I like). The thing that stood out for me most was the traction. I have the rubber soles and they offered solid traction on the river bottom and for scrambling I did out of the river. The real test will be how durable they are. Fingers crossed they hold up longer than other boots as it’s the main reason I bought them.

joelp

Reaction score
put in a weekend with these this past weekend. fit is perfect. wear size 9 shoes. wore size 9 FT aluminums. simms wet wading sock + rio gallegos stocking foot waders neoprene + simms after market insoles (removed original pata insoles) and the fit/feel was perfect.

cons-
loosen to the point of needing to be retied when going from dry to wet
aluminum bars sliding sideways on submerged sticks are more slick than the rubber would be
made from imported materials

pros-
much more comfortable than the pata lightweights i've used for the past few years
very 'solid' feel under foot
stiff enough footbed to really kick into loose dirt and hold going up/down into the stream
aluminum does grip. wasnt in a particularly slippery stream, but you could get the idea of how it works
assembled in usa

pro/con-
weight. these boots are heavy. while walking along the stream i noticed the additional weight. in the water i much preferred the feel and the weight was very nice. everything is a trade off and for what they are, i think the weight makes a lot of sense.

i am quite pleased that they dropped the price from 550 to 400 and that i figured out a way to get a discount on some. they seem like a solid option if you're in the market, but whether they last for years or have massive failures as many pata boots were prone to in the past will determine whether or not they are worth the money.

Last edited:

hatidua

Reaction score
-check the hex screws somewhat regularly, they do loosen and there are several aluminum bars out there on their own now:(

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have been wearing the pervious 1st. gen. foot tractors. They are synthetic uppers not leather which I prefer due to the lather changing character wet vs. dry. Yes, they are heavy and yes they do grip and so far after 3 years have held up well. I have wide feet and have favored Patagonia boots for a while though I were Simms waders. I need the wide toe box. My pair prior to these had felt with carbide studs and were terrific. They did begin to fall apart necessitating this new pair but I did not discard them. Took them to my old style craftsmanship shoe repair man and he glued and stitched them back to back-up usefulness. I never bought into the felt and whirling disease fake news.