Pere Marquette March 17th, 18th

burk48237

Reaction score
Well just spent a couple of days social distancing on the fly water. My buddy wanted to swing only, and he didn't move any fish. I hooked 7 on Indy rigs had one real good fish up to the net and leaned on him a bit two much, landed two skippers and a real nice male in the 9 pound class. I also stripped Streamers and moved 4 nice Browns, but couldn't get the hooks in them. Water temp was 37 and the guides were freezing in the mourning on the 18th. IMG_0952.jpg

myt1

Reaction score
Very nice.

I think you did very well.

I wish your buddy would've done better swinging flies though.

I've tried to adopt the same attitude toward catching a steelhead as a deer hunter has getting a deer.

If you get one good steelhead it makes your trip.

joe_strummer

Reaction score
I did my share of spring steelheading on the PM in the vicinity of GL when I lived in GR. Got family up there between Baldwin and TC

Wish I were there right now. That would be a nice consolation for the fact that I should be arriving in Belize City right about now, but am not.

ddb

Reaction score
Nice steelie, great picture, and fishing tale. Brings back fond memories.

What's an "Indy rig"?

ddb

burk48237

Reaction score
Nice steelie, great picture, and fishing tale. Brings back fond memories.

What's an "Indy rig"?

ddb
Indicator fished off a switch rod with a couple of flies. In this case an egg and nymph. The PM is a tough river for swinging, most of the swings are short not a lot of long runs where you can cover water. My buddy fished through water that was holding fish, didn't move any. Water was cold (37) that didn't help. From what I've seen the time for swinging on the PM is late in the run on drop-backs, they are feeders and aggressive. I've also hit quite a few drop-backs stripping streamers too.

strmanglr scott

Reaction score
Thanks for the report. Hoping to make it up there in the next week or two.

It's an electric time in northern Michigan.