Pfleuger Medalist repair question.

Powerstache

Reaction score
I need to replace the back plate on a 1494 I bought a while back. The click pawl well is gone...it’s just a hole. Weird. At any rate, I purchased a used back plate on eBay but I didn’t look at the photos carefully and it turns out that the drag screw is broken off...looks like the knob got whacked off... So here’s my question. Can the good drag screw on the other reel be removed from the plate? It seems like it won’t back out past a certain point. Any recommendations?

jayr

Reaction score
Last edited:

Powerstache

Reaction score
jayr,

Thank you for the quick reply. That’s an excellent post. Answered a lot more questions than just the one I asked.

I had inherited my dad’s 1495 some years ago. I coveted it as a kid and when he gave it to me, attached to his old Fenwick 6wt graphite I was over the moon. Recently I’ve been buying Medalists and clones on eBay and I quickly realized I need to learn how to work on them.

Thanks again!

jayr

Reaction score
You’re welcome!

i have and use and collect Pflueger reels as well. I used them back in the day as they say when they were one of the main choices we had. They are stupid simple reels that are easy to work on. The only real downside was their paint job, if they had been anodized back in the day would have been better but it is what it is.

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
This Pfluger is my first fly reel my dad bought for me in 1966. The paint was trashed so recently I Hotroded it. I used 0000 steel wool to buff it, drilled larger holes in the spool, added a bamboo knob, wood latch cover/drag knob and installed a brass and glass line guide. I still fish it once in awhile, but prefer the click and pawl older 1494.
4F89FE53-CB2C-45B3-A8F7-2478D6E87666.jpegA27200A2-C0C9-425A-9818-E22F913445F4.jpeg