Pheasant Tail Nymph

redietz

Reaction score
Every similar chart I've seen has 1=14, but this isn't surprising, given that the new system was a standard the old/modern system isn't.

bumble54

Reaction score
Every similar chart I've seen has 1=14, but this isn't surprising, given that the new system was a standard the old/modern system isn't.
Yes indeed, every manufacturer seems to have different idea of what a size 14 hook is, I have some that are to my mind a size 12 and some that appear to be between between 12 and 14. Had some hooks years ago that were labelled 14 but were huge. and the 16's were definitely a size 12. :oops:

trev

Reaction score
Yes and I read many years ago that hooks were sized by shank length and gape was a fraction of that length, I read on this site that size is by gape and shank is a multiple of that.
I don't recall how I arrived at #16 for these back in the '70s, but it looks like that's about right, and I know it'll catch in that size.

LePetomane

Reaction score
This fly in a size 18 has been very productive lately. i have been fishing side channels of bigger waters with a dry/dropper combination the way I would fish a small stream and doing well.

MarlSounds

Reaction score
This fly in a size 18 has been very productive lately. i have been fishing side channels of bigger waters with a dry/dropper combination the way I would fish a small stream and doing well.
Works the world over. A must-have for early season brown trout in New Zealand, although increasingly we wrap opossum or hare fur into the thorax and use the tungsten beads to get down quickly. Good call simply weighing more with copper and keeping it streamlined to get down quickly. A good reminder that often less is more.

LePetomane

Reaction score
I tied up a few of these guys today. I tried to tie them using copper wire instead of thread. That didn't turn out well.

IMG_1345.jpg

WWKimba

Reaction score
Here is Davy MacPhail's version. As always, a technique rich, no nonsense, enjoyable video.

YouTube
I like Davy's version and I have tied some unweighted versions substituting metallic floss (find in any craft/sewing store) for the copper wire. I fish a lot of still water and like the action in this situation. Also, I can first tie about 6-8 turns of small diameter lead if some more sink is needed.