Planning to fish my local stocked lake w/ the fly - tips?

jplee3

Reaction score
Hey all,

Hoping to finally bring the fly rod out to a local park lake that has been getting stocked with hatchery trout. Last week I went and guys were catching them on orange single/straight tail grubs very similar to Trout Magnets.

I figure a San Juan Worm would be a good bet to use but any other suggestions? I was considering, if it makes sense, setting up a double dropper rig but not 100% clear on even how to do it. I think I've read that the bigger fly should be tied on first then the second fly should be attached to the hook shank with a length of tippet ranging from 6"-12"? I'm a bit confused about this part but was wondering about that order and if fishing both a dry and wet fly would I want a larger dry fly first in line and then the smaller wet fly last? Also, I don't know how weight of the fly makes a difference and if a fly that "weighs" more should be the point fly or the dropper fly. Slightly confused by the concept so would appreciate someone educating me on it :)

As far as my setup, I have a Fenwick World Class 9' 5wt rod paired with a Redington Crosswater 4/5/6 reel. I'm using a 5x leader and 5x tippet all the way through and have a decent selection of flies (but not sure which to hone in on using either).
I have a smaller 4wt setup too but the next biggest size up is an 8wt, so I'm thinking the 5wt setup should be OK. Last time the fish were well within 20-30' if not closer so I think roll casts would be plenty here, and safer too - I'd be afraid of the back cast - there aren't many places I'd feel too comfortable doing that as there are commonly ppl passing by. I'll still probably bring one or two spinning setups to soak some bait in case the fish aren't close in.

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
Mop fly in orange? Brown to represent food pellets?

I have great success with balanced buggers on still water, especially if there is a little wind.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

thomasw

Reaction score
Size 12/14 black bodied Doc Spratley ... it is killer in my interior still waters; in fact it has rarely failed to produce. Like a bugger it represents a host of different trout chow... Give it a toss :)

rodneyshishido

Reaction score
I learned something last year while fishing some lakes. I always thought that to fish in still waters, you need to give flies some motion, i.e. stripping. I caught the majority of my fish letting the fly dangle beneath an indicator - like bobber fishing.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Hoping to finally bring the fly rod out to a local park lake that has been getting stocked with hatchery trout. Last week I went and guys were catching them on orange single/straight tail grubs very similar to Trout Magnets.
I figure a San Juan Worm would be a good bet to use but any other suggestions?

I used to run some pay-to-fish trout ponds that were loaded with aquatic worms.
Guys there would fish small marabou jig flies under a indicator that looked a lot like those trout magnets
...Just cast out and let it the indicator jiggle in the chop. Then strip it in a little.
The trick was that the color changed by the day.

As for "pellet flies", hatchery trout respond to the sound of the pellets hitting the the water, not to the pellets themselves.

brownbass

Reaction score
This last Thursday My fly fishing club went to a lake that has been stocked with trout by the state. Just for a chance to get together and some of the guys figured out that a brown Wooley Bugger under an indicator was the ticket. I believe that was about the only thing that caught fish that day.

Bill

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I use to guide at a ranch outside of the Roaring Fork valley when the rivers were too high. Multiple lakes where they fed the fish.
Having lunch on the bank one day with a family the boy tossed a handful of gold fish crackers into the lake. The fish went nuts.
So I bought some orange foam and created a goldfish fly. Never failed to produce when nothing else would. Wish I still had some. Quite the conversation starter when stuck in your hat.

jplee3

Reaction score
Thanks all. Yesterday turned out to be casting practice LOL. I forgot that I loaded intermediate sink tip line on my setup too...after I already started on my way to the lake. But I ended up putting a stimulator-ish (? not sure what it is) fly with an orange SJ Worm at the end. I think the fish were generally holding out in deeper water however (you'd have to either bring a 10-12' long rod and pendulum cast to get out there haha). I had spinning setups with powerbait and micetails (which is what most other guys were using too) and it was very slow. When I felt like getting in some practice, I'd put one of the spinning setups away and cast (I was reminded how much I suck and how much more I need to practice). I noticed it has also warmed up quite a bit (into the 70s yesterday and 80s today!) so I'm wondering if the trout have generally been holding deeper overall. I'm interested to know the general 'pattern' of their feeding and habits in most lakes depending on temps. Sounds like when it's colder/cooler they'll more readily come into the shadows. I think fishing pressure might be another factor - there were guys lined up along the bank soaking bait so I figure the fish probably get spooked with all the lines in the water like that.