Platte River late November

Jokerswild

Reaction score
Im going to be in Casper WY on Thanksgiving day, with most of the day free ................ Ive never fished this area, but its obviously on the bucket list. Any thoughts, suggestions, or warnings are appreciated. Can expect pressure on the water?

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Hardly an expert--I took a trip there in early November a few years ago, had a great time--but in terms of thoughts/warnings....at that time of year it's all about the weather. Dress warmly, be prepared for the incredibly high winds and have a back-up plan for the day.

You mentioned you'll be free most of the day, so that tells me you probably need to stay closer to town rather than heading to some of the places farther out (the Mile, Fremont Canyon). Most of my days fishing around town were with a guide. We were floating, but I don't recall seeing a lot of wade-friendly water and the day I went out on my own I didn't find much (did more driving/exploring than fishing), though I cut the day really short as I was basically blown off the water (50+mph winds). If you can afford it, I would hire a guide. If not, I would call some of the local fly shops and see if they can direct you to some decent access points.

If you consider the Miracle Mile, make sure you're up to date on the road conditions. Depending on the weather and recent weather, it could be a muddy mess.

Good luck!

LePetomane

Reaction score
This is my first year of fishing it and I would be curious as to how it fishes this time of the year. A good resource is the Ugly Bug Fly Shop in downtown Casper. A nice bunch of folks.

GloveMan

Reaction score
Get a guide for your first trip. It isn't small water fishing and they will put you on some really nice Browns this time of year. 20+ fish are common. Ugly Bug or North Platte shops can hook you up.