PLEASANTON, LANCASTER FLY FISHING SHOWS CANCELLED FOR 2021

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Who wants to hang out with a crowd?
I didn't enjoy them before Covid.
Well, C-19 puts a different spin on it but I've loved these annual wintertime shows for decades. I get to visit and update with friends from around the country that attend these shows, converse with the factory representatives, see all the new products and perform evaluative casting comparisons, often accompanied by great caster friends from from far and wide. Many of these folks I only see when traveling to fish in their home destinations except for this show. Some, like rod designers, I only visit with at the show...and lean a lot.

I would have just returned from Edison today and would miss the comradery of post show evening cocktail multi-hours as much as the tackle introductions. Oh, and seeing my Forum buddy falcon too.

This year we have new rods from Scott, Winston, Taylor, Hardy and more that I may not get to even see till fishing season as I have no local fly shops nearby.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Denver ought to be a big one if all the others are quits.
I imagine the only reason the Denver show has not been cancelled is because it was the last one on the schedule (latest in the year). Purely a guess, but I suspect it's only a matter of time and certainly wouldn't be making any travel arrangements.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I've loved these annual wintertime shows for decades. I get to visit and update with friends from around the country that attend these shows, converse with the factory representatives, see all the new products and perform evaluative casting comparisons, often accompanied by great caster friends from from far and wide.
I too like, and miss not having, the annual show. While the crowds can make things tough at times, I've found the shows to be fun and also valuable. Last year I was looking for a new 8 wt. I live in 3-5 wt country and it's just tough to find more than one or maybe two 8 wts on a particular shop's floor. And so trying to compare rods is tough. You might cast rod A one day, then rod B a few days later and maybe rod C after that. And rods D, E and F may just not be available anywhere. But I got to last year's show when the doors opened and for the first two hours the casting pools were virtually empty. I was able to cast 5-6 different 8 wts side by side, several multiple times, without being a pond hog. There's just no way I could have done that type of "shootout" elsewhere.

I also really like the travel-related booths. A couple of years ago I stumbled upon and became intrigued by a guide service/outfitter for a destination that wasn't even on my radar. Ended up booking a trip and had an amazing time.

Anyways, I'm hopeful the shows can return next year.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Were it not for the Show, I never would have met and test cast Matthew Taylor and his rods and reels. I might never have heard of him other than he is a member of our Forum, inspiring us to meet at the Show. His rods and reels are now among my favorites.

Many of you are undoubtedly intrigued by Stickman rods from Hungary having read glowing reports here on our Forum but, like most of us, are hesitant to order a rod you have never gotten to test cast. It was my hope that Stickman's Akos would have had a booth at this years Shows but...hopefully next year.

Here are but two excellent examples of rod makers outside the old school brand mainstream whose products have significantly enhanced my personal fly fishing. Having an open mind and sampling otherwise unknown products one is exposed to at these Shows is potential transformative.

falcon53

Reaction score
There are many vendors at the show and I have made friends with quite a few you get to associate a name with a face. Besides checking out the new equipment and casting different rods I get some "comps" which I passed along to Project Healing Waters. Last year I gave them a new fly line, thingabobbers and tippet material along with the flies I tied in a little fly box. The are many show discounts available at many booths and I always grab all the Fly Line Company's catalogs. I get to look/buy some fly tying supplies from different vendors. Oh yeah .... Mathew Taylor's Booth (Taylor Flyfishing ) is really cool. I miss going. I was looking forward to meeting Akos and trying the Stickman's rods.

ddb

Reaction score
I always enjoyed the shows especially so in later years when tyers from outside the US started to show up and add their styles, materials, and patterns to the usual mix. I also think that the opportunities for the pros to intermingle and compare notes spread the expertise around and tended to raise standards. Plus the shopping opportunities dwarfed anything offered by any fly shop in the world. And hell, there was no better escape from cabin fever.

Our world has narrowed.

jfh245

Reaction score
Had the pleasure to chat with Joe Humphrey two years ago at the Lancaster show about his Penn State course when I was a student there decades ago. I still smile when I remember how his face lit up as he spoke. Always seem to cross paths with someone at the shows and renew connections while checking out new offerings and information.

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I recently attended the Southwest Florida Fly Fishing Show, it was a full venue with me and my three sons, our venue was small, about 17.5 feet long and 7’ wide. We discussed new products, had a history lesson on what didn’t and what did. New techniques were discussed and then utilized with some new gear selections from Scott, Simms and Sage. All in all a fine show....there may have even been a fish or two that were harassed into playing along with the new gear But no finned friends were hurt during the show. It is sad that we can no longer gather to rub elbows with those that hold dear the sport we all cherish. Cheers to 21.