PMD or Sulphur Dry Fly or Emerger Swap

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
This swap will be a little different -- it's a match the hatch swap.

Pale Morning Duns (PMDs) in the West and Sulphurs in the East and Midwest are major hatches of light colored mayflies. These hatches can be some of the most exciting and frustrating of the year. The hatches are common on most waters within their range, often very heavy and dependable, and usually last several months.

In the West Pale Morning Duns range in size from 14-18s with smoky gray wings and bodies ranging in color from pale yellow to tan for the duns. You can read more about PMDs here: Pale Morning Dun | Ephemerella | Fly Fishing | Westfly

In the East "Sulphurs" often refer to several different light bodied mayflies, with pale gray wings also size 14-18 You can read more about Sulphurs here: Simply Sulphers | The Easts' Best Spring Mayfly Hatch!

Emergers, Duns and Spinners are all very important stages of both the PMD and Sulphur hatches. This swap will be your choice of your favorite dry fly (either dun or spinner) or emerger for either the PMD (if you're out West) or Sulphur (for Eastern and Midwestern folks). Because both the PMD and Sulphurs are similar sized light mayflies, they should fish well in each other's territory.

As always tyers of all abilities, including beginners are welcome. And of course tyers outside North America are always welcome, so feel free to jump in here too.

Due Date May 30, 2011
1. Futuramille
2. Aroostockbasser
3. khl
4. peregrines

Last edited:

peregrines

Reaction score
Brent I thought we'd get more interest too-- maybe pushing it back to May 30 will help--- I'll do that.

Anyone else out there that wants in?

khl

Reaction score
I'm interested but could someone suggest a pattern?

My in stock materials is relatively limited for dry flies though: black or grizzly hackle, mallard flank, and peacock herl for feather. My dubbing supplies are woeful - I've been meaning to order some, but haven't yet - so I have cream (dog) and brownish (cat).

Hooks and thread I'm good on.

If someone could come up with a pattern, I'd be happy to participate :D

Kai.

peregrines

Reaction score
Great, I'm in too, so that makes 4 so far with Brent (Aroostockbasser) and Kai (khl) and Jonathan (Futuramille).

Everyone else, feel free to jump in....

futuramille

Reaction score
ill do my best guys but i shattered my left wrist (ct scan shows 5 bones effected) and surgery is scheduled for this week. im down to hunt and peck typing. i tied one fb ptn yesterday to see (i was jonesing bad) and had to lay down after one. it will be slow going but im still in.

peregrines

Reaction score
Wow Jonathan, what a bummer! And the timing, right at the beginning of the season really stinks.

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

futuramille

Reaction score
its not all bad. they postponed surgery till monday next week. plates, screws....the works. water temp here is climbing into the 60s mid days now, our summer fishing is here. ive been fishing all winter and spring too so i didnt miss too much. ill be back on the water mid june maybe?

aroostookbasser

Reaction score
Hope all is well with all...Peregrines has had some tribulation lately...in my prayers Bud!!

Kai hope package arrived ok!

Futuramille.......hope you heal quickly...being hurt is the pits!

khl

Reaction score
Hi all,

Work's been a slice which is why I've been awol. I'm working on the PMD's for the swap - my sincere apologies but I'm not going to make the deadline. I'm going to be a few days late. That said, I'm DEFINITELY learning quite a bit about tying size 14 flies in comparison to size 8. My vocabulary of swear words is increasing even faster than my tying skills!!!

In other news, Canada Post may go on strike Friday. I am shooting to have the files off to Mark before they strike - they're not sure yet if they're going out.

AB - I haven't gotten anything yet. It normally takes a couple weeks no matter what the USPS tells you. Thanks again for the care package!

Sorry again about not making the deadline. This will not be a regular occurence!

Kai.

aroostookbasser

Reaction score
Loks like i am going to be a couple days late as well. Travelling down state to look at houses has crimped my tying time....My apologies. Should be in mail by Friday at latest!

Last edited: