Pontoon Boat Fishing questions

siege

Reaction score
My sons and I are looking at some 1 man class II pontoon boats for fall lake fishing. I have a boat, and have fished from boats for years, but never a pontoon boat. I need some basic info.

Is anyone on the forum actively flyfishing from pontoon boats ? What are the advantages of one size over another ? Got brand recommendations ?

Do you store your boat inflated or empty ?

Thanks for your input !

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi,

Joni and her husband use the Scadden boats on still water and are really into it. I would send her a PM and ask to speak via phone about the boats. Those two have it down to a science.

I deflate my boats and store the tubes in the garage loft over the winter but assemble and leave them assembled May - October. Mine are Out Cast pontoon rafts and I use them for floating rivers. I don't fish from them, I use them to reach distant downstream areas. I park and wade to fish.

Ard

rickf

Reaction score
Hi,

Joni and her husband use the Scadden boats on still water and are really into it.

I deflate my boats and store the tubes in the garage loft over the winter
Ard
Ard,

It's not just Joni and hubby ........ I'm also a Dave Scadden fan!

I purchased the Outlaw Escape (from Cabelas, only $700 ..... I think Joni's was a grand? but she makes big bucks with the ferruled leaders ..... I don't know how to make them? so I got the cheaper 'toon) A smaller float tube / pontoon hybrid. I put mine on my car top ...... and I keep it inflated all year (I try to go fishing every day of the year)

Mine came with oars, but I like to kick so much better. It's like a tread mill for me?

Kinda slow, but when lightning arrives ....... I kick so hard I pass the outboard motors!! LOL

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I also fish from an NFO pontoon, but there are cheaper versions out there. I store mine inflated in the garage during the summer months, turn it on it's side along a wall and use a bungee cord to hold it in place. Just before it freezes I deflate it and store it inside the house during the winter months.

Larry

dpenrod

Reaction score
i have an outcast oncilla which is a discontinued model that was made basically for stillwater fishing, though i have taken it down rivers. the pontoons are 6 ft. and the frame is a one piece that slides into loops on top of the pontoons. no straps. pretty quick set up and the tubes are double bladders. if i had the money, i'd try to find bladderless myself. keep an eye out on craigslist for good deals. a buddy of mine snagged an outcast cougar for $200 recently. if you use fins, no need for anchors on stillwater.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Siege: I was hoping Kelly would chime in. He is over in your area and he and his sons fish the local lakes from pontoons, if he doesn't see your post, send him a pm with your questions.

Larry

siege

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far. We picked up 1 used 'toon and will get a couple more for sure.
Lots of fun so far, and easy to manage. It will keep us on the water, but not in the water :)

dpenrod

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far. We picked up 1 used 'toon and will get a couple more for sure.
Lots of fun so far, and easy to manage. It will keep us on the water, but not in the water :)
good luck in your search. got bored and went just to the boise craigslist. veritable smorgasbord of used pontoons. this would be outstanding if it is in as good a shape as he claims. new it is a $1300 boat: Outcast Pac 800. big enough to take down rivers, but not so big it would be cumbersome on stillwater.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
A lot of good responses. No two will ever be the same as it comes down to personal preference. My son bought a cheepo from WalMart and it was just that - cheap. He has already snapped around three oars to my recollection.

Mine is a Bucks Bags Southfork pontoon and I love it. The Southfork is a bit pricey in my mind, but it has a stainless-steel frame.

My son's friend bought the setup offered by Costco and, for the money, appears to be a pretty good setup.

For stillwater the choices are as varied as your wallet. Now, it you are going to be running rivers - not whitewater mind you, but rivers such as the S.Fork Boise, South Fork Snake, Henry's Fork, etc. make sure to get something with at least 9-foot toons and a good quality oar.

When I fish my favorite stillwater I like to use both fins and oars. The oars let me pull across the pond to where I like to fish, and the fins keep me in the action.

As far as an anchor is concerned, I make sure to have one on stillwaters because if I find a great spot I can anchor up and concentrate on the fishing and not worry about finning around. Some lakes are just too deep, but if it is a windy day an anchor is critical.

I prefer Force Fins brand fins, but they are way too pricey new. I found my two pairs at thrift shops for $3 and $7 a pair - a lot better than the $190 new. Caddis makes a c=great fin that you can step into with your boots and they lace up for around $35.

I have a rod holder, but only one. I have ample pockets on both toons for lunch, drinks and gear. I also put a swivel under my seat.

The Costco model:

WalMart (left), Costco (right):

Buck's Bags Southfork:

Just my two-cents, hope it helps.

Kelly.

rickf

Reaction score
Pontoons are the best! IMHO, the very best way to fly fish!

My Scadden Outlaw Escape:

siege

Reaction score
'Priciate all the good info. We have now picked up a total of 3 used 9' pontoon boats. All are in good shape, and will get their first outing with us on Saturday.

We will try them out on a local reservoir that has some trout, kokanee and bass. ( unless Kelly spills the beans on where his secret spot is ! )

Update on the 'toon armada exercise to follow after the inital assault .

scott_g

Reaction score
I have fished out of quit a few different pontoon and u shaped float tubes. Picked up a NFO sunrise and love it! Being able to stand up and drift the river or lake is super nice! Going from a tube to an out of the water pontoon was the best move I could have made. Being able to summer fish the river without waders on is priceless!

siege

Reaction score
Hi 329727 !
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your post. What we were discussing was inflatable pontoon boats. It was nice to see this thread pop back up.
We ended up with three 9' boats. All 3 now have 35# thrust motors, as well as oars. Swivel seats were added, and that makes using the little electric motor a lot easier to reach.
All 3 stack on a 4 x 8 trailer, and tow like the trailer is empty.
Fishing is easy, and everything is close at hand. I still like wading small streams the best, but it's fun in a lake or reservoir, fishing from " the Lazy-Boy" sometimes.
My younger son caught his biggest trout on Henry's Lake last fall about 100 yards from shore. We will be going up there again in 2 weeks, looking for more like that one.

mojo

Reaction score
Hi 329727 !
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your post. What we were discussing was inflatable pontoon boats. It was nice to see this thread pop back up.
We ended up with three 9' boats. All 3 now have 35# thrust motors, as well as oars. Swivel seats were added, and that makes using the little electric motor a lot easier to reach.
All 3 stack on a 4 x 8 trailer, and tow like the trailer is empty.
Fishing is easy, and everything is close at hand. I still like wading small streams the best, but it's fun in a lake or reservoir, fishing from " the Lazy-Boy" sometimes.
My younger son caught his biggest trout on Henry's Lake last fall about 100 yards from shore. We will be going up there again in 2 weeks, looking for more like that one.
Siege, we'll be up there on the 19th to th 25th

siege

Reaction score
Mojo, we will be up this coming Saturday. I promise to leave the monsters we catch, so you can have at 'em.
If we go the next week, I'll look for the big ugly guy, fishing with a beautiful woman. Let's see, 2 Scaddens, 1 new bamboo fly rod ? :D