Powell IM6 Rod....repair or trash?

GManBart

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently wound up with a Powell IM6 Ultralight 9' 3wt rod with damage at the last guide...roughly 3" from the tip. I've tried researching these and the history is a bit confusing, but I think it might be a Loomis blank....if anyone can confirm/deny I'd love to know. I have next to nothing in the rod but it seems to be pretty nicely made, and a lot of people like the old IM6 feel, so is it worth saving? There's some finish loss that removed some of the markings, but it doesn't appear to have gone into the blank.

I bought this at an auction because it came with a reel I wanted so I can't really go wrong. Is it worth shortening or just a parts rod to save the guides, reel seat, etc?

IMG_2012.jpgIMG_2013.jpgIMG_2014.jpgIMG_2015.jpg

pnc

Reaction score
Can't tell by picture. Is it only the guide that is damaged ?
If only the guide needs replacing to fish again. Do it !

GManBart

Reaction score
Can't tell by picture. Is it only the guide that is damaged ?
If only the guide needs replacing to fish again. Do it !
Unfortunately, no. You might have to expand the last picture, but the blank is damaged at the last guide before the tip so it has a kink in it. It would seem the only option would be to shorten the tip section by about 3".

silver creek

Reaction score
There is a break in the rod at the arrow and the guide foot has pulled away from under the thread wraps. This CANNOT be repaired. The rod needs a new tip section.

Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 11.20.49 AM.png

You can try removing the guide, and breaking the broken section off but the rod will not cast the same as it originally did. You can heat the old tip with a lighter and remove it BUT I think it will too small to fit over the broken section. I think you will need to buy a new tip to fit over the broken section.

BTW, I think it the broken section is more than 3" from the tip.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I would contact Rich at the Classic Powell Rod website he would be able to tell you.
Really nice guy his email is [email protected]
His website is https://classicpowellrod.com/home-page
He buys and sells these rods regularly and a 3wt is unusual from what I have seen offered in the past. A 3wt in IM6 would be a great stream rod even if you did shorten it by 3 inches. Of course shortened it would lose a lot of value but still be quite fishable.
If I were not on a quest to reduce the number of rods I have I would probably be interested in buying it from you so there may be others that feel the same way.

knotjoe

Reaction score
Personally, I’d knock 6” off either end and see what it does with a 5wt MPX or the running section off an old and beaten 8wt line. It is, after all, a 9’ 3wt and has quite a bit of flex throughout the whole blank on account of this so there’s might be some ceiling room there for upper line weight use.

Although I’m not saying this is going to create some grandiose parabolic result, it just might make a rather useful fiver for tight work and niche fishing. Everyone always exclaims “OH GOD, NO!” to tip trimming ideas, but then there’s always some blank maker out there intentionally designing actions that are pretty far off the beaten path and work nicely for different purposes.

I’ve been watching this thread for some time now to see what you do with it. No one has chimed-in much so you thus have irrevocable social permission now to get creative and ballsy with the project. Saw the seat off, take another couple inches to match the shortened tip and get going on the 8’ “whatever it likes” rod endeavor. Might make a killer intermediate line rod for some tactile strike detection in cold stillwaters, sometimes you can flip those around and fish from the running line section quite nicely with weighted flies. Fat part/WF head serves no other purpose there than to give you the large arbor effect on standard reels (old school LA trick).

Wide open field of play here, GmanB…go for it!

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
Before taking a saw to it, I'd just remove the snake at the break, clean up the fracture and measure up for a new tip ring with the correct I.D.
It'll only cost a few dollars for that and some hot-melt glue. Try the new, shortened rod on a #3 as before, but it may now prefer a #4.

You'll probably find it's a perfectly serviceable rod still, maybe still a lot of fun despite being shortened. I did this with a 1980 T&T Graphite (IM6) 9'6" #7 and it's grand as a 9' 3" #7/8. If it were just handed over, ready set up, on a blind casting test I doubt many would know it's not what it's maker intended.

And, if you don't like it, then sure, get the hacksaw out and get playful. :)

P.S.
Keep the broken bit. If you like the shortened rod you might be able to strip enough thread off the snake ring whipping to reuse as a tip ring wrap, keeping the colour spot on.

dennyk

Reaction score
I have a Fenwick HMG that broke just above the female ferrule. I found an old tip section and spliced it back together with some epoxy and over wrapped it.

You will have a flat spot in that part of the rod. I'm guessing a 3" tapered scrap blank could be slid into the inside your tip section and glued in place, you'll need to be a bit creative but once fitted and glued up you could use the guide wrap to cover it.

While I don't use the Fenwick I certainly could. After the repair years ago I still landed steelhead on it. At the time that was my favorite rod.

You don't have anything to lose.

Good luck!

Denny

GManBart

Reaction score
You can try removing the guide, and breaking the broken section off but the rod will not cast the same as it originally did. You can heat the old tip with a lighter and remove it BUT I think it will too small to fit over the broken section. I think you will need to buy a new tip to fit over the broken section.

BTW, I think it the broken section is more than 3" from the tip.
One good thing is that I've never cast it at all so I wouldn't be disappointed. It came from an online auction and was paired with a really nice Orvis CFO that I wanted. They didn't have any pictures of the rod markings, so I bid based upon the value of the reel and I'm still okay even if the rod turns out to be a total loss.

I measured again...it's a bit under 4" from the break to the base of the tip. I put a dial caliper on the sections and the blank is .050" at the tip and .062 on the low side of the guide where the break is so the current tip won't work, but a replacement would be cheap.

LOC

Reaction score
A saying mine friends and I have is, "That was then this is now"
Slap a new tip top on it and make some loops before you call in a air strike and trash the rod.

I will be surprised if it jumps up a whole line wt losing 4' from the top since it was a 9' 3wt to begin with.
If for some reason it does not jive with you I'm sure some kid would cherish that rod if you gifted it to them. :)

GManBart

Reaction score
I would contact Rich at the Classic Powell Rod website he would be able to tell you.
Really nice guy his email is [email protected]
His website is https://classicpowellrod.com/home-page
He buys and sells these rods regularly and a 3wt is unusual from what I have seen offered in the past. A 3wt in IM6 would be a great stream rod even if you did shorten it by 3 inches. Of course shortened it would lose a lot of value but still be quite fishable.
If I were not on a quest to reduce the number of rods I have I would probably be interested in buying it from you so there may be others that feel the same way.
Thanks! I may reach out to Rich. I've gone back and forth between thinking about just sticking a new tip on it and seeing what happens and finding someone who'd like to take it on as a super cheap project.

GManBart

Reaction score
Personally, I’d knock 6” off either end and see what it does with a 5wt MPX or the running section off an old and beaten 8wt line. It is, after all, a 9’ 3wt and has quite a bit of flex throughout the whole blank on account of this so there’s might be some ceiling room there for upper line weight use.

Although I’m not saying this is going to create some grandiose parabolic result, it just might make a rather useful fiver for tight work and niche fishing. Everyone always exclaims “OH GOD, NO!” to tip trimming ideas, but then there’s always some blank maker out there intentionally designing actions that are pretty far off the beaten path and work nicely for different purposes.

I’ve been watching this thread for some time now to see what you do with it. No one has chimed-in much so you thus have irrevocable social permission now to get creative and ballsy with the project. Saw the seat off, take another couple inches to match the shortened tip and get going on the 8’ “whatever it likes” rod endeavor. Might make a killer intermediate line rod for some tactile strike detection in cold stillwaters, sometimes you can flip those around and fish from the running line section quite nicely with weighted flies. Fat part/WF head serves no other purpose there than to give you the large arbor effect on standard reels (old school LA trick).

Wide open field of play here, GmanB…go for it!
That's some creative thinking, for sure! I think I'd probably try a new tip before I went that radical, but since I have almost nothing in this I can't really get hurt if I experiment.

If nothing else, ideas like this make me think....now that I think about it, I don't own another 3wt of any kind. The reel that came with it had a decent WF3 on it as well, so that's a bonus.

GManBart

Reaction score
I will be surprised if it jumps up a whole line wt losing 4' from the top since it was a 9' 3wt to begin with.
If for some reason it does not jive with you I'm sure some kid would cherish that rod if you gifted it to them. :)
I was thinking it might wind up working well with one of the lines that's half a weight heavy....but worth trying with a normal 3 and 4 first.