Practice Targets

Txbart

Reaction score
I practice casting in my lawn almost daily. I have a 14” target at ~35’ from where I stand and an 18” at a different angle ~45’. I alternate between the targets every 6 casts or so. My goal is to, if not putting my practice fly in the target, at least get my tippet to run across the center of the hoop. North Texas winds are gusty and variable so I use that as an excuse for some of my misses. My question is, what should my target setup be; number, size and distance?

Thanks!

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
That sounds fine to me, wind here typically increases as the days temps rise.

When I practice dry fly presentation on grass, typically I don't measure the distance or each individual target. I don't want to become an expert at hitting a small target, exactly 40 feet away, directly in front of me.

I use a series of targets ( 6 to 10 - 9" coated paper plates. They can be weighted on the bottom with flat weight and tape to keep them blowing around in windy areas. ) and place them in a random pattern 120 degrees left to right at varying distances. Starting at around 30 feet and ending at 70'..... that's for a five weight. My interest is training myself to hit any target in any direction, with wind coming from various angles. Halfway through the practice session I walk to the opposite end of the casting area, position myself around 30' from the nearest target and begin casting. Reverse field practice - working with differing wind directions, lighting angle, etc.

My only advice is the old marksmen advice " aim small, miss small " the use of smaller targets may not be good for the casters ego initially, but down the road the rewards are higher.

rusty 54

Reaction score
In the backyard, I often cast to a colored leaf, or tree root or sleeping dog. Sometimes I pretend there is a fish under a bush or shrub and maybe cast side arm to hit it. Just random targets.

JoJer

Reaction score
I had a lot of fun throwing curve casts around obstacles in my back yard, say, around the splitting block, into the woodshed.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I take tennis balls and roll them out to various distances and angles. Then walk around the yard casting to them. On occasion I will place them just past a tree or up against a shrub to mix it up.
Teaching my dog to leave them be took awhile and she still sometimes moves them for me to give me a new target.
If you can hit a tennis ball in variable conditions you can hit the nose of a trout.

LOC

Reaction score
In the backyard, I often cast to a colored leaf, or tree root or sleeping dog. Sometimes I pretend there is a fish under a bush or shrub and maybe cast side arm to hit it. Just random targets.
I do the same just make up random markers that already exist in the yard but I try to hit the marks with different style of casts as well.
I'll use various pile casts and it won't count unless I float the fly down over the target.

Another great exercise to practice your control is to false cast a large loop, then a tight loop and then finally a tailing loop all in a row.
Do a few sets of those and then mix the order up till you can do any loop you want at anytime you want.