Practicing Proper Catch and Release

bruce m

Reaction score
....I'm all for teaching the next generation the sport but at the same time, we need to restrict the number of trout anglers in an effort to conserve populations.
I could not disagree more with this part of your statement, the future of our fisheries relies on us sportsmen to bring up and teach the next generation along with continuing to teach the present generation of anglers proper handling of trout. But to restrict a certain parts of the population from the sport will only harm what you treasure.

lightline

Reaction score
Sometimes I just wish trout were placed under the endangered species list because too many get needlessly killed. There's also the matter of there being too many anglers and not enough fish. I'm all for teaching the next generation the sport but at the same time, we need to restrict the number of trout anglers in an effort to conserve populations.
Careful there. You do realize that if trout were on the endangered species list, you couldn't even fish for them, right? I'd rather keep them off any list, educate anglers and non-anglers about their value, and allow for smart selective harvest in places its needed or makes sense. If we restrict the number of trout anglers, who's going to stand up for the trout, or the water resources? You won't have any trout, or enough that care about the trout. Clean, cold water, and enough of it, are what the trout need.

myobangling87

Reaction score
Northeast United States, Earth, Sol System, Milky
Careful there. You do realize that if trout were on the endangered species list, you couldn't even fish for them, right? I'd rather keep them off any list, educate anglers and non-anglers about their value, and allow for smart selective harvest in places its needed or makes sense. If we restrict the number of trout anglers, who's going to stand up for the trout, or the water resources? You won't have any trout, or enough that care about the trout. Clean, cold water, and enough of it, are what the trout need.

I should of been more clear. Trout on highly pressured waters(or any waters with wild populations) should be FFO only. My tiff is with bait fishermen who coincidentally kill what they catch or mishandle the fish when removing hooks. I've caught trout with bait hooks embedded in their jaws with inches of leader tangled up in their gill rakers. How they managed to survive this is a testament to their strength considering their fragility!

I just don't want the precious trout streams up north having the same situation as the Salmon River in upstate NY. People standing shoulder to should with spi**ing gear snagging and killing the fish. This is our concern, dude.

littledavid123

Reaction score
I have caught more trout with flies embedded in their jaws and tippet trailing than I ever have with trebles! So based upon my experience should we ban fly fishing? Comments like yours deterred me for many years from taking up fly fishing because I didn't want to take part in a community with opinions like yours. Finally wised up and determined not to let the actions of others limit my pursuit of happiness.

Still to this day will go out of my way to help a spinning rod guy with lure selection based on what flies I am using (that always gets them curious). ;)

Just for good measure, where the law allows I will take a wild trout for the frying pan every now and then...Yummy.

Dave

killem

Reaction score
I think I am going to put my 2 cents in here.

I think that the fear of out fishing a stream, or body of water is much like my view of gun control. Instead of trying to ban/limit it try to educate the people. Place a class in high school just like sex education. teaching them on gun control, and make it with rubber guns. have them load/unload...cross fences. teach them about fishing and how to properly release/land fish, as to not hurt the environment to come. Far to many people just want to throw a ban instead of education...It would be really really awful for me to say...ok, I can take you, but not you, and I can't have you do that, so you must do it this way...it saddens me that is what it's coming to now.

you can't even have a gun in the state of MA now without a license...and let me tell you...they don't give those things out easy....

myobangling87

Reaction score
I think I am going to put my 2 cents in here.

I think that the fear of out fishing a stream, or body of water is much like my view of gun control. Instead of trying to ban/limit it try to educate the people. Place a class in high school just like sex education. teaching them on gun control, and make it with rubber guns. have them load/unload...cross fences. teach them about fishing and how to properly release/land fish, as to not hurt the environment to come. Far to many people just want to throw a ban instead of education...It would be really really awful for me to say...ok, I can take you, but not you, and I can't have you do that, so you must do it this way...it saddens me that is what it's coming to now.

you can't even have a gun in the state of MA now without a license...and let me tell you...they don't give those things out easy....

I agree. I would however, like to see a special federal permit situation for trout angling. I have no problem with those who want to use non-fly gear for trout as long as live bait isn't in the mix. It's just a total cop-out to me and it's not fair to the fish. I also want to put it out here that I'm not entirely an elitist, fly fishing snob. There's most definitely a time and place for using sp**ning gear such as when wind conditions make it difficult or impossible to cast. I've admitted to using lures other than flies from time to time.

I think several states have a special license category for those seeking trout. Georgia is one of them. Peg the limit of these licenses or have anglers pay additional costs(apart from a general license) that can be used for re-stocking and upkeep of the fisheries.

stenacron

Reaction score
I would however, like to see a special federal permit situation for trout angling.
I could not disagree more. I for one hope that the Federal Government NEVER tries to manage fisheries, especially coldwater fisheries. It is difficult enough at the state level.

I have no problem with those who want to use non-fly gear for trout as long as live bait isn't in the mix. It's just a total cop-out to me and it's not fair to the fish. I also want to put it out here that I'm not entirely an elitist, fly fishing snob. There's most definitely a time and place for using sp**ning gear such as when wind conditions make it difficult or impossible to cast. I've admitted to using lures other than flies from time to time.
Are you sure about this bolded part here? Cause the rest of your statement kind of makes it sound a little different. :confused:

myobangling87

Reaction score
I could not disagree more. I for one hope that the Federal Government NEVER tries to manage fisheries, especially coldwater fisheries. It is difficult enough at the state level.

Are you sure about this bolded part here? Cause the rest of your statement kind of makes it sound a little different. :confused:

Not going to discuss the political aspects of a federally mandated trout permit. Doing so would be against forum rules and it brings "big government" into the equation and I'm not going be having that discussion.

Considering I was a non-fly gear angler up until last season, I would say I 'am most definitely not a fly fishing snob. Sure, it's going to be my main method of angling going forward but I will probably be using conventional gear this spring/summer/fall when conditions won't allow for this beautiful passion consisting of using a fly rod and reel and weighted fly line along with a fly (wet and dry). :)

bruce m

Reaction score
I would think that "Fish management" is synonymous with Catch and release, or at least a component of fish management just as Antler Restrictions would be with deer management.
In this thinking wouldn't this thread still be on topic.

mikel

Reaction score
I would think that "Fish management" is synonymous with Catch and release, or at least a component of fish management just as Antler Restrictions would be with deer management.
In this thinking wouldn't this thread still be on topic.
Not really. The thread is about how to release fish with minimal harm so that they might live to be caught again or make babies. All else is off topic and should have a separate thread, imo.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Time for a bump on this very informative thread. Notice the post just above me here; a new member who found and appreciated the info. These are the type threads that made us the most popular forum on the net for fly fishermen. Content that people find when they are searching is how 99% of the members find us before joining up.

Thanks again Mike,

Ard

Last edited:

mikel

Reaction score
Hey, Ard...it is very cool to see this pop up once in a while. I've been away from fishing and the forum for a while, but trying to get back Into both a little. It'd be nice to practice what I preach again. 😕

area57

Reaction score
I'm reading about how fly fishermen carry around pliers to flatten the barbs. I was thinking, why not just do that at home to all your hooks when you get them? And also thinking, that's got to make it hard to land a fish....then I got the idea, you flatten the barbs, after the hook is in the fish's mouth but before you take it out, is this correct? This way you get to use the barb to help land the fish, but flatten it for easy removal and then release the fish....

nmc

Reaction score
Great article! You've given a lot of helpful information. I hope others will read this and practice proper catch and release techniques. Thanks for sharing!

PASTERCASTER

Reaction score
A ghost thread resurrected. STILL RELEVANT IMO. Time for another bump. Back in the day I felt that any fish touched by human hands or netted with a nylon net would likely disturb the slime & ultimately cause it's death, SO I only handled/netted/took pics of fish I planned on keeping, (when possible). OTOH I hated to see waste & had no problem with keeping a fish that would almost certainly die anyway. If a fish I didn't want to keep couldn't unhook himself (given slack) I would TRY and run my fingers down the tippet & grasp the hook by the eye, instead of the fish. Preferably without getting stuck. I came to this old chestnut of a thread via a search on whether touching a trout with bare hands will ultimately kill the fish, truth or myth? More truth it seems but not 100%??? Any new C&R friendly gloves come about in the last 18 years or so? I've been out of the loop. ;)

Bigfly

Reaction score
Hey there Mikel....long time no see!
I commend all C&R fishers.....recycle your fish! And big thumbs up for the Ketchum tool! Perfect for small fly guys like me.....
But......if I am going to treat them nice.....and I do......I won't lay them on the rocks......saw a beautiful fish brain himself with a good flop on a rock....haunts me to this day.
I'd rather have a fish happy than a have photo.....
Give a shout some time.

I think the guys who like to shock, should sit in a bath tub and get a blast. Might cut down on it.

Jim

Last edited: