Practicing Proper Catch and Release

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Ruth has taken a liking to the ketchum release. I had not used it in years and she asked if there was a way she could take the fish off without touching or landing it.
The fish I hook are usually kind enough to unhook themselves before I have to handle them.

fishgolf

Reaction score
Except for the few worthy of a hero shot, I simply use barbless hooks and my hemostats to remove the fly while the fish is still in the water. For hero shots, keep the fish wet facing upstream (net or tailed), wet the hands, hold over the water, and return them to the water as quickly as possible.

dillon

Reaction score
Except for the few worthy of a hero shot, I simply use barbless hooks and my hemostats to remove the fly while the fish is still in the water. For hero shots, keep the fish wet facing upstream (net or tailed), wet the hands, hold over the water, and return them to the water as quickly as possible.
Yes, and in addition the the fish should be held in the water until the photographer says lift, after he is focused and ready to shoot. The angler then raises the fish. Several frames can be shot in a matter of a few seconds. In a proper photo water should be seen dripping off the fish. I will no longer totally remove the fish, but keep it partially submerged. I learned this technique from fishing with Sweetandsalt (a professional fish photographer) and posing with the fish he caught and rods he used. Well, sometimes they were mine...

NWADrew

Reaction score
Great post. Very useful information we can all share and promote in our network of social media and Clubs.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
As the years have passed I have become a person who takes so few fish pictures that to new members here I may be suspected of being some guy who talks a good game but couldn't catch a fish if you threw it at me.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I am with you Ard, caught so many fish over the years I realized that all my pictures started looking the same. So unless the fish has exceptional markings or is extra-ordinary large, I just pull the hook, release the fish and thank my higher power for seeing fit to give me a gift.

I think it was my mother who insisted on catch and release long before I had heard about it, when my family moved to a house on a lake back in 1967. My brother and I went fishing as soon as homework was done (and sometimes when it was not done) and often as not we brought home fish. After a few months we had a full freezer so we called the relatives and had a big family fish fry and used up all the fish we had caught. The next day my mom said that fish fry was a lot of work and she had to throw out some fish because you guys had not stored them correctly and they got freezer burn. So from now on the maximum number of fish allowed in the freezer at any one time is 5. One fish for each member of the family. She told us to check the freezer before you go out and if we are at the limit then release all the fish you catch. If you can't do that then you can't go fishing. We still follow mom's rules...