Prairie Permit

LandoLando

Reaction score
You're right Lando, I have not caught a large trout on a fly. Most of my experience is with Redfish, Specks and Bonefish. Never been to Alaska and don't plan to. Our trout here in Wyoming are on the smallish side.
On the small stocked alpine lakes, I have found the same thing as you have, mediocre, lethargic trout. In the winter, even a large trout will feel like not much more than a fingerling. Have you tried nymphing the larger rivers? Have you tried dries and streamers on the more remote streams and lakes? My personal best trout was in Wyoming and I fought it in a fast riffle on 5x tippet for 20 minutes before bringing it to net. A 30lb Albie didn’t give me that much of a rush. Late in the spring run off or in the fall I’ve had 16” trout fight nearly as hard as my personal best. If you’re in Wyoming and finding that carp give you the most thrilling fight, you’re fishing in the wrong part of Wyoming.

Last edited:

Critter

Reaction score
I also have given up on trout, seeing and stalking carp are all I do now. Trout are a quicker, faster fight but they don’t have the muscle and pull strength of the carp. Nor do they have the brains of a carp, carp are frken smart, and one of the lakes here they seem super leader shy, they can spot a “ fake” so easy it’s frustrating. But I’ll take out smarting a 13-25 lb. carp any day, I don’t eat trout and I don’t eat carp, so it’s just about the tussle.

zjory

Reaction score
Have gone out fishing for carp four times this summer. Have never done it before, but a couple fishing friends have been encouraging me to do so. I really hate it. I hate where carp live. I do not enjoy fishing a muddy pond in town when I could be hiking in the Rockies fishing pristine waters.
I have not caught one yet, so I’m going to keep going until I do. My friends say that will change my mind. But I don’t think it will. 5 minutes of a hard fighting fish doesn’t seem like it will make up for a day walking around in the mountains.

jayr

Reaction score
Have gone out fishing for carp four times this summer. Have never done it before, but a couple fishing friends have been encouraging me to do so. I really hate it. I hate where carp live. I do not enjoy fishing a muddy pond in town when I could be hiking in the Rockies fishing pristine waters.
I have not caught one yet, so I’m going to keep going until I do. My friends say that will change my mind. But I don’t think it will. 5 minutes of a hard fighting fish doesn’t seem like it will make up for a day walking around in the mountains.

I use to think the same thing........until I finally hooked one. The fish I hooked was not small but then again was not huge, but 30 minutes later and going into my backing gave me a fight like I have never had before. By the way, I was fishing a 6 weight.

As for muddy water, we look for clear water in order to spot them first, at least hopefully before they spot us.

zjory

Reaction score
I use to think the same thing........until I finally hooked one. The fish I hooked was not small but then again was not huge, but 30 minutes later and going into my backing gave me a fight like I have never had before. By the way, I was fishing a 6 weight.

As for muddy water, we look for clear water in order to spot them first, at least hopefully before they spot us.
This is what people keep telling me. So I’m going to keep at it until I catch one. But not tomorrow. Tomorrow I’m hiking RMNP for Greenbacks ;)

LandoLando

Reaction score
I disagree that carp are all that smart. For proof, I've caught one...by accident.
I can catch European carp easily with any fluorescent floating foam pattern on the Jordan river. They aren’t hard to fool and they don’t fight particularly hard for a fish of there size. Maybe because very few people are pursuing carp in this area, they aren’t as educated as carp elsewhere? I once saw a couple of bait fisherman using rolled up balls of wonder bread to catch big carp. I came back with a large tan egg pattern and covered it in floatant and caught several.