Pre tied tipet to fly

peterk1234

Reaction score
Now that you guys have me tying tricos and other way too small flies; I have a question. Do you guys ever pre tie the tippet onto these little things? And if you do, what is a good way to sore them so they do not end up a tangled mess?

Speaking of tangled mess, am I the only one that will bugger up their tippet every once in a while using a dropper? I found going shorter tippet onthe dropper seems to hep a lot.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I pre tie #22-#24 dry fly rigs with 15 inches of tippet, and especially 2 fly and 3 fly nymph rigs that are about 4 feet long and store them on foam rings that I bought on ebay.
I simply attach the nymph rig to a eye ring, and the dry fly rig I uni knot on .....
1626899745309.png

foam.jpg

AZFalconer

Reaction score
I use similar rigs to what Okaloosa has, but I use them for leaders/tippet rigs, and not flies. I tied a batch of droppers on a while back to do this and found that tying a triple surgeon's knot with a nymph on the end of the line was a losing proposition for me...
YMMV

stenacron

Reaction score
Now that you guys have me tying tricos and other way too small flies; I have a question. Do you guys ever pre tie the tippet onto these little things? And if you do, what is a good way to sore them so they do not end up a tangled mess?

Speaking of tangled mess, am I the only one that will bugger up their tippet every once in a while using a dropper? I found going shorter tippet onthe dropper seems to hep a lot.
If not doing so already, switching to fluorocarbon will allow you to get away with heavier tippet. I never go smaller than 5X and go through more 3X and 4X than anything. I fish #22 midge patterns a lot on 5X without issue.

Everyone back in the Lehigh Valley area of PA had (probbaly still has) a love/hate relationship with Trios on the many limestone streams located there. Consistent fishing from end of June thru first hard frost in Oct, but consistently frustrating too fishing/seeing #24-#26 flush spinner patterns on 6X or 7X mono.

trev

Reaction score
I take a piece of card stock, cut out a 3" (+/-) circle, then go around the edge of that making cuts about 1/2" deep pointed toward the center and ~3/4" apart, this creates "ears" that can be folded one way and the other then the leader is wound onto the card in the slot created by the ears. These cards (called "Leader Wheels" in the book I copied them from) fit in a shirt pocket, can have tippet and fly or a 16' leader with droppers and flies. or plain tapered leaders. They also fit in the plastic envelope pages of a "leader wallet" I bought from Orvis about forty years ago. I think some of the leaders in that thing may have been there half that long, because over time I've found it more expedient to tie and modify the leaders as I go.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I haven't pre-tied tippet onto a fly in a very long time, but tried it years ago. I didn't do it with dry flies however.

I did something similar to what trev has said, but used pieces of craft foam and then tucked them into zip lock bags. Even wrapped around something they tend to come un-done and still tangled, so the bags limited that issue. I did the same with leaders that I tied, but just coiled them up & placed them in a bag. 3"X 4" or similar size bags work well, and they have to be placed into a box or soft side type storage. I used a small plastic worm bag, that has plastic sleeves inside.

I stopped doing that because I would end up forgetting them and they would just sit in the bag and never get used. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JoJer

Reaction score
I have a failed prototype around here somewhere, too. A 3/4" white plastic pipe with craft foam wrapped around it and glued on. I tried using shortened sewing pins with the round colored heads to hold the tippet loop, and hook the fly in the foam. Like others found, either the tippet or the hooks just didn't want to stay put, especially since all my flies are tied barbless.
I have a large salt water version that was in my Grandfather's tackle box: A large red plastic donut with a long clear plastic bag fixed to the outer edge. You stick the snell lines through the donut hole, and stick the hooks in the plastic donut. Stays in the tackle box without snagging and tangling.

Last edited:

sasquatch7

Reaction score
I do it all the time . I use a tippet ring on my rod side and use a Fast knot on the tippet line . Fast and easy .

corn fed fins

Reaction score
I will pre tie a couple of complete rigs for the Taylor in deep winter. If I use them it's not just cold but ******* cold and I'm rerigging because the fish are cooperating; or I'll just GTFO.

planettrout

Reaction score

These:

PT/TB

WadeK in to Deep

Reaction score
For me, the magnet thingy worked down to #26's consistently. #28 and below sometimes it worked and sometimes it flopped the hook over and needed resetting. I have stopped using flies smaller than 22's, so it works, when I can find it.

AZFalconer

Reaction score
I have a couple of those magnet things but haven't tried them. Guess I'm going to have to give them a try this week... thanks.
Charlie