Pretty Gloomy even for an Angler;

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I stopped by the PO yesterday and found a small package in my box. Inside were 2 packs of AHREX Tube Double hooks and 2 of the same brand for tying. I had ordered them in size 10 in both style. For those not familiar with a tube double hook they have a short and straight shank & eye so they will nest in the extension tube and not affect the way the fly swims along. The up turned wee doubles are for low water small flies that will still have some hooking potential due to the 2 points on a size 10.

Also found some Finn Raccoon in a really great orange yellow sort of cross color and some Claret which I have zero of in furs.

All for a top secret trip I had on the schedule but now not happening but tie I will and try to make the best of what appears to be the worst case I've ever seen in life.

Here in Alaska things are turning quick, all the snow we got is now in a rapid melt sequence. I heard on the Public Radio news that 3 dog teams and the mushers had to be rescued due to flooding on the trail to Nome. National Guard Heilo's and ground search and rescue teams to get it done. If it warms quick then there's a chance that rivers will have stabilized by June. By stable I mean high but fishable. Worst case would be flooding which will put the King salmon fishing in the bin for yet another year..... Only time will tell I guess.

Whether you are a stay at home fisher or had your plans dashed by the Pandemic just do what you can to protect yourself from anyone who thinks this is somehow not really a problem. The virus is here in AK. and so I will be doing less and less outside of my own property lines with each passing day. Fishing isn't something I'm worried about, I'll be alone in my boat and there will be a whole lot less competition because we're on C&R regulations for Kings:)

How are you guys doing with all this change?

MCHammer

Reaction score
Bummer your trip got canceled, Ard. That would have been the trip of a lifetime.

I canceled a trip I've been looking forward to all winter, to Pyramid Lake Nevada. I would have left this coming Tuesday, the 24th. Theoretically, it would have been OK since I have my travel trailer and as long as all went according to plan, would only have to interact with society for gasoline stops. But, I thought, what if I get a flat tire on the trailer, or some other road-related problem? It's a three day drive towing the trailer, at least for me. All bets are off in a situation like that. So, I'll be staying home as much as possible. I'll keep tying the Pyramid Lake flies. Those fish better look out next year!

I may go out for day trips on the South Fork of the Snake when the weather warms up a little more.

Saw some of those people you mentioned who don't seem to think this is a problem, in the pharmacy Thursday. The pharmacists have a raised platform they work on, with plexiglass separating them from the public except where you pick up your meds. While I was waiting for mine, some idiot in a cowboy hat and snow gaiters walked up to the opening, stood on tiptoe to stick his head in as far as he could with his hands on the counter, and yelled "Howdy" at the pharmacists. Meanwhile a woman was examining the Easter candies by the register with her face about 1 foot from the candies--didn't buy any. I was totally creeped out, and needless to say I kept my distance.

Today, the pharmacy doors are locked, and phone or text orders are the only way to get your meds. You park outside the door and call when you're there, and someone brings your stuff out to you. The pharmacists must have gotten creeped out too.

Out of relatively few known cases in Idaho, two of them are here in our little, remote valley. So it really is everywhere. No toilet paper today, either. We have enough for a couple of weeks, but after that....

I made my own hand sanitizer today. I always have isopropyl alcohol around, for first aid and for cleaning keyboards, mice, etc. It has been sold out for weeks here, along with aloe vera. The checker in the grocery store pointed me to some Solarcaine Cool Aloe sunburn lotion that had survived the panic buying. It's mostly aloe, so I bought some. 2/3 cup isopropyl alcohol and 1/3 cup aloe, and you have a liquidy but effective hand sanitizer. The wife and I are leaving a bottle in each vehicle, so we can use it after going the the grocery store or whatever.

We have at least a month's worth of emergency food storage, and at least 10 days' worth of our usual foods. Not quite ready to go all in and use the emergency food, but it's nice to know it's there.

Take care and stay well.

Mike

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
I'm profoundly sorry to hear, Ard, but it's for the best that you stay safe and close to loved ones for the foreseeable. As I've often said to deep-wading guests, "No salmon is worth dying for."
Either that or, "Have you trod on any yet, Sir?"
"Sir" lets you get away with so much. ;)

I left the relative safety of seclusion on my island for the UK Mainland yesterday. Early exit in case of a total travel lock down and ferry sailings ceasing. Very eerie, quiet crossing with groups staying together, singletons filling gaps. Quiet until one guy sneezed half way across The Minch and was forced to walk the plank.

I heard of the first suspected case in NE Scotland today, about 25 miles away, and wonder if leaving for 6 months work was wise. If I get laid off/fallowed I may not be able to return home if stricter restrictions are imposed. I hear of guests cancelling daily as the reality dawns on the country. Personally I feel we should have been locked down over a week ago. Both here in the far north and over in the Hebrides there has been an influx of camper vans and caravans from more urban areas as folk seek safety in less populated areas - possibly bringing the disease with them and spreading it en route. I acknowledge the apparent hypocrisy having just travelled myself. In mitigation, I spoke to only 4 people in the past two weeks and there has been no suspected case in Lewis to date, so I considered myself uninfected with reason.

I'm sure you'll make the best of your season at home. Nothing to stop you trying some of those flies you tied for your trip on your fish - you never know! I don't think I've ever read you writing about hunting but I imagine you can. Probably trap moose with just with a nail file and ball of string. ;) Good to have that back up for the table, too.
I was talking about IPA as a basis for hand gel only today. Good call. The latest buzz I've heard is catching the virus from petrol pumps. I find it hard to believe any virus could survive for long on a pump handle but, hey, if your gel's in the car, treat yourself just in case.

I'll probably be posting here less as I get back to work so to you, to you all, my best wishes and, if you have one, may your God go with you.

James.

justahack

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the canceled trips Ard and MC. I also had a trip to pyramid on the books for several months. We were set to drive out tomorrow and fish for a week. Got a call yesterday saying the tribe voted to close the reservation to all visitors starting Monday. No camping, no fishing, no nothing. Glad we didn’t make the drive, although we had pretty much agreed not to go by the time the call came anyway. Would have been irresponsible on many fronts. Five guys traveling from an area with known cases to a fairly isolated small community a long distance from extensive medical services would have been selfish and cruel. We will fish locally and use any extra time to tie more pyramid flies for next year. I’m guessing shipping of fly tying materials will be cut off soon enough as well. We are on a trajectory that is similar to, but faster than that seen recently in Italy. Too many people in decision making positions were too slow to realize and then to acknowledge what was happening. Couple that with a culture that generally does not value science as highly as perhaps we might like and we miss the opportunity to make a difference. I can’t believe how many people here in the US thought this was a political thing. It’s sad and scary.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Now is the time when all your hoarding of feathers and furs will pay dividends :) I'll turn my attention from Atlantic Salmon patterns and get the King Salmon assembly line back up and working. Nothing beats a box filled with brand new AK. Assassin's and I have everything I need to turn out as many as could be needed. Now it's down to the water levels I guess....

Hey Mike, it's C&R for the season so you can guess right where I'll be :) I'll have to handle them without a net man though...

ejsell

Reaction score
Thursday afternnoon my director ordered all non-essential personnel to work from home. So we spent friday organizing equipment and teams. I and my team are considered essential personnel, out of 70+ employees 15 of us will be working in the office and field come Monday. I'm trying to keep it down to about 4 in the office and everyone else deploying directly from their homes to isolate each other. I also got put in charge of the thermometer, thank god it's an external read :)

I fully expect our governor to call it during his Sunday 2:00 PM press conference. If he does no non-essential travel or business will be occurring for the foreseeable future. My kids and wife have been set up at home for a week now and adjusting.

About the only businesses left open are groceries and hardware. Can get some carryout and drivethru. I got a haircut the day they shut down all of the barbers and got my license renewed just before they closed the BMV. I also got one last workout in right before they shutdown the fitness centers. Love to get some fishing in but I don't see that happening if we get the order to stay in place, nearest cold water streams are too far away.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

dennyk

Reaction score
I just got the truck loaded up and getting ready to go do some Steelhead fishing this AM locally. Last time out only ran into 1 other angler. This AM I do plan on cracking some ice from the guides. The temp here is a balmy 21 degrees with no wind. I didn't have any travel plans, I've got pretty much everything I need as far as fishing within an hour's drive in any direction from our home.

Besides working on the house and yard I finally got all the flies sorted and packed for our Project Healing Waters donation, they will be in the mail Monday. I do have something fun going on, I have a 1969 copy of Art Flick's Streamside Guide. The book contains 11 color plates with the live flies next to their imitations. Also included are the tying instructions for each fly. I decided to tie up 3 of each just taking my time and paying attention to detail. So far I've got 4 patterns done and 7 more to go.

I guess all we can do is play out the hand we've been dealt and do our best to stay healthy and positive. This too shall pass.

Denny

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Sad to read the effects of this virus, here on the forum and the tragic consequences / havoc being caused around the world. Truly unprecedented times for a lot of us (especially we who had not experienced the devastation of the Great Depression or World Wars). I am only now beginning to imagine what it may have been like. I live in-hope for better days ahead.

Postponing my April trip to Montana was a no-brainer. My focus and energies are in keeping my family safe and healthy.

I hope you all can weather the storm. Stay well.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I retired this year, and now am "working" from home. I started a fly & tackle business 2 years ago, and decided to concentrate on it, rather than drive a truck another year. That turned out to be a good decision, with this virus issue, as I would have likely had a high potential to be exposed. The job that I had been doing part-time the past 3 years was with a company that put on dance competitions so I had a lot of interaction with people all over the country. That company has had to cancel and reschedule a lot if their events due to this virus.

Our life at my house is staying relatively normal. We don't socialize much, so that's not a big concern, and we buy essentials in bulk anyway, so don't have to make frequent trips to town. My wife shops at Costco & some of the other similar stores when she knows that she'll be near there, such as if she goes to Charleston. Most are at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours drive from us, so not something she does frequently.

This has affected my one son more than the rest of us, as he's been dealing with some health issues at the VA in Charleston, and has had to cancel appointments. His immune system is compromised so he has to be careful about getting exposed to this virus or any other.

There's no mandated lock downs here other than dine in restaurants, but nonessential travel is supposed to be limited. My wife went into town yesterday morning to get gas, and she said that she was surprised at how many folks were out. A lot of businesses are closed, but they do that routinely here on the weekends anyway.

We had only one case of this virus reported in our county, but also one death, with no other details. I can only guess what that meant.

Donna also said that there was a lot of vehicles in the parking lot at the boat ramp when she passed there, so folks are still enjoying time on the lake, which is typical for here & this time of year.

I went to the river on Monday with spinning tackle to see if I could find some shad, but only caught one very small Striper. The river was a bit high & muddied from rains we had last week, and should be good again now. The game warden rode thru while I was there, but didn't bother to stop.

I'll likely go again to the river, but will again take other tackle. I haven't even had the fly gear out yet. The route to the river from my house is all rural back roads, and there's not much traffic anyway, so life here for now is still very normal.

weiliwen

Reaction score
I'm also stuck at home as my company has told us all to work from there, except for those in our commercial labs. I was supposed to be in Barcelona with my son this past week, you know how that went. I will be travelling to The Driftless Area, where my brother has a home that he won't be moving into for a while, so I'll be on my own there as well as fishing; I figure I won't be at a higher risk than at home.

My worry is for my road trip to South Dakota's Black Hills, planned for the first week in May. I hope things have settled down by then.

spm

Reaction score
Yeah, my trip was canceled, too. I was going the end of the month and just learned the lodge has closed until further notice. Sooo, I'm at the tying bench. Guess my fishing this spring will be on my daughter and her husband's farm pond. Oh well, I don't have to drive as far to get there. Silver linings ...

Thanks,
steve

dillon

Reaction score
How are you guys doing with all this change?
I’m doing fine as far as fishing goes. It’s too hard to think about a fishing trip due to the uncertainty of the future. For me, there are far more serious things to worry about than the next fishing trip. So, as far now I have no plans to go fishing, no trips to cancel. I will make plans when the time is right.

karstopo

Reaction score
I’ve been bothering a few bass and crappie out on the lake, just to get some casting in. Might go out to the marsh or bay this week. Was supposed to be off to Santa Fe, New Mexico for a couples trip. Lots to do in the garden this time of year and watching plants grow is a joy. Weather has been beautiful. Everything is so green. Cooked 6 racks of ribs yesterday, a record on the big green egg. Feeding my folks that live next door, making them stay buttoned up at home, plus food for my daughter and her boyfriend. Staying clear of people otherwise. Lots of hand washing, love the smell of bleach.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Had several trips go by the way....
Expect few inquiries...
Fishing isn't life or death until the stores run out of food....then, you will wish you had practiced more.
I expected this for many years, but was always told I was a dark side ranger......true enough.
It's like watching a house of cards fall in slow motion.
Should have bought the bunker.....
Be well out there......

Jim