Pro tip, zip those pockets!

jayr

Reaction score
Being used to fishing fairly shallow bluelines has made me a bit careless when now fishing deeper tailwater rivers.

After reaching down to my pocket, I quickly realized my packs of indicators and two fly boxes had floated off once I waded some chest deep parts of the river. :mad:

Luckily my fishing buddy found one box but I still lost another and it was packed with flies😭

rusty 54

Reaction score
Yep. Lost about $100.00 of stuff from an unzipped bag on a float yesterday. They put zippers on for a reason.

trev

Reaction score
Back when I used chest waders I kept the vest inside the wader top so that it and all those things it holds stayed dry. Of course I still used the pocket zippers. I was always getting in elbow deep.

plecain

Reaction score
Everything I carry is on some kind of tether. Old fly lines work well.
My fly boxes, camera, reading glasses, thermometer, net, nippers, even my little bottle of floatant all have tethers.
Makes the vest look messy, but I don't lose things.
I use the pocket zippers, too.

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
I lost my phone once to an unzipped pocket. Was fishing a tailwater, took some photos, then put phone in my pocket, made a couple of casts, heard a weird plunk sound and figured a trout took a big behind me. After moving a few feet upstream, I reached to my pocket and no phone! Panic set in as I headed back to where I last had it and suddenly realized what the plunk sound was. Miracle of miracles, the phone landed screen-side up and was still illuminated under the 3 foot riffle! Cold wet arm was the price of retriever and the waterproof case MOSTLY worked. Some fog that took a couple of days to clear from the camera lens, but crisis averted and photos retrieved! Now I zip every pocket, every time.

bumble54

Reaction score
Lost a dry fly box a couple of weeks ago for the very same reason, forgot to zip up the pocket. Already started tethering them to my vest and bag with tethers made from old boot laces, even my glasses now have tethers . I've even changed my fishing bag because the old one had straps, not zip's. Put's real downer on a trip when you lose stuff.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
Lost five $100 bills once in a IGA parking lot and my whole wallet at a lake . The wallet turned up a year later 60 miles away in a wash used by illegals . Credit card , license etc was still in it but cash was gone .

rusty 54

Reaction score
Another tip: Yesterday, my son in law found a fly rod in its tube that was apparently left by a late night hex fisherman. It had an i.d. tag on it and he was able to contact the owner and make arrangements for its return. I'm going to I.D. all of mine, now.

jaydub

Reaction score
Kenai River Alaska, 1989: I was wearing neoprene waders that had an open topped chest pocket with a fly box inside. I stepped into the pit toilet to take a leak. I slipped the suspenders off my shoulders and pulled down the top of the waders. The flybox fell from the pocket into the opening below. I am pretty sure the cursing could be heard in Anchorage.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Two days ago I thought I had lost my truck keys on the river. I was wet wading and assumed they had fallen out somewhere. It was a quick evening session so I had put a small fly box, some tippet, etc.. into one pocket of my shorts and I thought the keys, a cigar and lighter in the other. Got back to the truck and couldn't find them. So I walked back down to where I had lit the cigar and looked around until almost dark. Nothing. Looked under my truck for the hide a key and it was gone. My phone was locked in the truck so no calling anybody. Dropped the tail gate, grabbed a beer out of the cooler and set down, 6 miles from the nearest phone. Finished the beer and pulled the cooler over to the tailgate. My keys were behind the cooler. Why? Who knows.
Bought a new hide a key the next day and wired it to the frame with baling wire. Never had one fall off before but not taking anymore chances.

JoJer

Reaction score
I think my early problems forgetting to zip pockets shut was due to poorly engineered entry-level gear. Lots of my early vests opened easily with one hand, but required two to zip closed. I tethered lots of stuff early on after I lost my first Leatherman out of a top wader pocket while duck hunting. It just didn't work for me. Eventually, I got some discipline and a routine that usually keeps me from losing stuff. Better vest now, too.

Davebuech

Reaction score
I have an issue if I sit down to change a fly, sometimes I forget to put my flybox back in my pocket. Twice I have left one laying on the ground. Fortunately I have noticed and gone back to get them. Once though I didn’t notice until I got home, after a restless night I went back the next day to retrieve it from where I left it. Thankful it was there. Now, all my fly boxes have my phone number and name.