Project

LePetomane

Reaction score
This was my project for today. The woman who usually grooms our dog has been sick (fortunately on the mend) and Lois was starting to look a little shaggy. So I decided to do it myself. It is all done by hand, first stripping the undercoat with a special instrument, then brushing then combing her. Finally she gets a bath. I had to bathe the little one (Nikki) so she would not feel left out. The whole process takes about 90 minutes because I gave her a few breaks. The amount of fur that I combed out was amazing.

IMG_0065.jpg

LePetomane

Reaction score
The one on the left is a French Brittany. My wife hunts with her. The dog is better at flushing and pointing birds than my wife is with a shotgun. Lois is a Bouvier des Flandres. They are a Belgian breed and considered a working dog. They are used for herding and some law enforcement agencies in Europe use them. She's on the smaller size for the breed (75 lbs.) and is pretty mellow. She is our third of the breed and the nicest of the three. The other two were pretty shy, but good dogs. This one is the most playful.

Last edited:

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
That is a nice stonefly pattern. I have been contemplating for awhile, about using the fur from my Irish Setter/ Golden Retriever mix "Bella". You have now inspired me!🙂

LePetomane

Reaction score
Davitticus,

That fur may make a good scud pattern. I would guess you would have to add a considerable amount of weight to get it to sink. I've added lead wire to these but I suspect I may be using split shot to get them down.

Master rodmaker Dave Norling uses fur from his Golden Retrievers for scud patterns. Here he is with one of his dogs with the Henry's Fork in the background.

IMG_1605.jpg

Last edited:

GloveMan

Reaction score
Labrador Retriever underfur makes great dubbing for stone flies and midge emergers. Breathes like seal fur in the water. Guard hairs make great tails and float like heck for dries. Natural oil floatant in their fur.