PSA: Yellowstone Park is not a petting zoo!!!

B

blackbugger

I drove down to the park today with the girlfriend. We saw 5 bears.
Four grizzlies, a sow with two cubs and then another single adult and one black bear.

The second adult was right next to the road, right beside our car eating grass. A father with two daughters (around 12-14 years old) ran up between our car and the edge of the road with their phones just desperate to get a picture and I mean INTENT and SERIOUS.

Dad is seemingly oblivious to the girls as he frantically tries to get a phone pic.
I kid you not, they were no more than 15-20 FEET from this bear!

There was a very sparse line of small pines about 5 feet from the edge of the road and the bear was just on the other side of it.
I mean 15-20 FEET AWAY!!??!

I was swearing up a storm inside the car and rolled down my window and shouted "HEY!! You guys are like 15 feet away...FROM A GRIZZLY BEAR!!! YOU ARE WAY TOO CLOSE!!!...."
As I'm saying this about ten other people crowd around our car. It's a full on bear jam at this point with traffic stopped all around us and blocking the road.
I was dumbfounded.
Herd mentality at it's worst.
And kids!?!!...jockeying for position to get a cell phone shot!??!!..I'm still..just...completely blown away.

I've seen a lot of stupid **** in the park but this was unbelievable. And they were all just frantic to get a picture of it on their phones with zero regard or apparently even UNDERSTANDING the kind of danger they were in.
This bear had its choice of fresh meat. Two or three leaps and he could have severely mauled or killed anyone of the ten or fifteen people standing virtually right next to him

Grizzly bear is 15-20 feet on the other side of this kids head.

The bear after it hiked a hundred yards or so out into a meadow.

FlymanSJB

Reaction score
Yep seen that out there, and I saw a guy holding up the whole show get chased by a buffalo once, just made it back to his car before getting trampled to death. The animal turned off and around near the car, he was lucky.

Great bear pic man!

chechem

Reaction score
Saw the same **** when I was there last month.
To me, I don't care if they get eaten, but the idiots will walk right in front of everyone else to take their pics. They block everyone's view and photos. Just ignorant.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:

ditz

Reaction score
And we are surprised at the amount of stupidity all around us??......People are stupid. Just go out and sit on your front porch and watch all the stupid people texting while driving.....and they are endangering my families life and it aint just youngsters either. Stupidity is rampant.....

0bie

Reaction score
It isn't just the Bears, either- last time I looked something like 4-5 people had ready been gored by bison out there this season. And even if the consequences aren't dangerous to us humans, all that extra human attention surely stresses the wildlife, especially in seasons like this where it's been so dry.

I'm not sure what the Park's policy toward saddling up that close to wildlife is- but if they can confiscate equipment of poachers or folks using lead or barbed hooks, surely they could do the same with other tourist demographics. Maybe the threat of losing ones life isn't enough to keep some folks at bay- but maybe the threat of having hundreds or thousands in camera equipment confiscated woJoe be.

mikel

Reaction score
That's how innocent bears end up being euthanized. All we strive for in America now is the lowest common denominator...and we find it consistently.

J

james w 3 3

Everyone should read the famous essay of Carlo M. Cipolla, titled "The Basic Laws of Human Stupidity".

Written by a professor of economics specializing in economic history, and now taught in most every behavioral economics program.

Five laws, a short read, but ones to keep in mind. This episode does not surprise me in the least.

B

blackbugger

I'm not sure what the Park's policy toward saddling up that close to wildlife is- but if they can confiscate equipment of poachers or folks using lead or barbed hooks, surely they could do the same with other tourist demographics. Maybe the threat of losing ones life isn't enough to keep some folks at bay- but maybe the threat of having hundreds or thousands in camera equipment confiscated woJoe be.
I've seen rangers get seriously angry with people getting close to animals.
In the Hayden valley where we saw the sow with cubs there were three rangers cruising up and down the road moving traffic along and keeping people from hiking out to get a closer vantage point.
The bears were a couple hundred yards away.

I once saw a ranger just berate a couple of guys who had hiked off the road and down towards a grizzly on Dunraven Pass. They were maybe 20 yards from the bear when the ranger drove up and got on his bullhorn.
He shouted, in a VERY angry voice, something like "What are you guys doing?!! Get the hell back up here NOW!" He used some kind of mild profanity like that and when they got back up to the road he just berated them in front of everyone.
He was seriously pissed off. I was like "right on man":thumbsupu

I'm sure if a ranger had been at the bear jam where the girlfriend and I were there would have been some serious orders being handed out.
I don't know if there is anyway they can ticket people for that though you'd think there would be.

The desire to post exciting things on social media is strong, and seemingly trumps common sense.
I seriously think this contributed to the craziness.

When I woke up this morning the events of yesterday were the first thing I thought of. I'm still just blown away.
I love seeing grizzlies in the park but at a safe distance or from inside the car.
I really don't like running into bears when I'm out hiking/fishing and would prefer to not to see them at all

Last edited:

spm

Reaction score
That's how innocent bears end up being euthanized. All we strive for in America now is the lowest common denominator...and we find it consistently.
Absolutely correct. Someone gets hurt and they blame the bear. The bear gets put down simply for being a bear. STUPID! STUPID! STUPID! I have no patience with people like this.

steve

jdwy

Reaction score
Yep seen that out there, and I saw a guy holding up the whole show get chased by a buffalo once, just made it back to his car before getting trampled to death. The animal turned off and around near the car, he was lucky.
Great bear pic man!
So far 3 people have been body-slammed by buffalo this season. People said the last person was 5-8 feet away from it when it finally charged.
I'm not sure what the Park's policy toward saddling up that close to wildlife is-
Legal minimum distance regarding bears is 100 yards. There's also lots of food/game animal storage regulations even outside the park boundaries. Believe it or not, on the USFS sign at the end of Southfork Road among the list of bear warnings is extra caution for women who are on their period. Most all grizzly attacks are outside the park during hunting season----- guides, outfitters and their clients.

Last edited:

chechem

Reaction score
It isn't just the Bears, either- last time I looked something like 4-5 people had ready been gored by bison out there this season. And even if the consequences aren't dangerous to us humans, all that extra human attention surely stresses the wildlife, especially in seasons like this where it's been so dry.

I don't give a damn about the public.
But the YNP folks will kill the bear if it attacks!!

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

Absolutely correct. Someone gets hurt and they blame the bear. The bear gets put down simply for being a bear. STUPID! STUPID! STUPID! I have no patience with people like this.

steve
Oops, didn't realize you'd already said it (more politely).

:eek:

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I say let the people do what they are going to do. This sounds sick and wrong, but if the stupid people want to take the chance of getting killed because of stupidity, let them. There will be less stupidity in the world, maybe less crime and less war. Common sense will come back to all. Just call it survival of the fittest. As long as the animals are not brought down.

But I know even though that's how I feel about it, it's wrong. But think about this. If a man and woman with kids get 15 ft. of a grizzly to oooh and awww and take pics, they must not care much for their kids. Putting yourself in danger is one thing, but putting your kids in the same place IS STUPIDITY!!!! And if they don't care about their kids, they sure don't give a farkle about you or me. Yeah, I said farkle.

Like the last line in King Kong, " it wasn't the planes that killed him, it was beauty who killed the beast."
Same thing here, it wasn't the bear who killed the man, it was stupidity. They say curiosity killed the cat. Well.......? There is something to that saying.

Now being stalked by a bear or lion is a whole different thing.

wolfglen

Reaction score
Yes, there are some idiots out there. Down here it's the idiots who want to hand feed the sharks.

Now I spent six summers in Alaska, 350 miles from the nearest point to which you could drive and have been lot closer to bears than I wanted to by chance, (You're fishing and they come up behind you and the water's too deep to cross, etc.) and it's not a good feeling. That's why you always cook your shore lunch on the upwind side of the river.

I've been stalked by gators down here with no way to back off. (Hiking in on the canal long Alligator Alley between Naples and Ft. Lauderdale. there are boat ramps at several spots and a few hundred yards where you can fish from the bank, but the angling pressure on that hundred yards is so heavy and the fish have seen every lure ever made to where the blue gills are like a brown trout on a C&R stream.

I walk back in a half mile or so an fish my way out at dusk. One night just as it was getting dark, two `12-14' gators slippd off the opposite bank and stalked me all of the way out. You can't get away from the bank because of the chain link fence. Kept my 10 MM Colt in my hand all of the way out. Not a good feeling having shadow you from 10' away. Same with bears.

B

Becks and Brown Trout

Its the same the world over. I have lived next to the north sea in Britain all my life when you look north from the sea wall near my house the next land is Norway or Iceland the sea is unpredictable and damm cold., I have grown up with it and understand its dangers. Sadly every year when the summer invasion of tourists come we see the same stupidity. families dodging waves and tempting danger. Every few years someone dies , someone is swept away, a couple of years ago it was half a family , what follows is an outcry of more barriers , more signs , more restrictions and every year despite the barriers. People are back taking liberties they are am afraid just stupid.

Andy

0bie

Reaction score
I've seen rangers get seriously angry with people getting close to animals.
In the Hayden valley where we saw the sow with cubs there were three rangers cruising up and down the road moving traffic along and keeping people from hiking out to get a closer vantage point.
The bears were a couple hundred yards away.

I once saw a ranger just berate a couple of guys who had hiked off the road and down towards a grizzly on Dunraven Pass. They were maybe 20 yards from the bear when the ranger drove up and got on his bullhorn.
He shouted, in a VERY angry voice, something like "What are you guys doing?!! Get the hell back up here NOW!" He used some kind of mild profanity like that and when they got back up to the road he just berated them in front of everyone.
He was seriously pissed off. I was like "right on man":thumbsupu

I'm sure if a ranger had been at the bear jam where the girlfriend and I were there would have been some serious orders being handed out.
I don't know if there is anyway they can ticket people for that though you'd think there would be.
Good! I still remember working and living out in that part of the continent, watching folks get waayyyyy too close to elk and bison and moose. Driving the gravel road back from Slough and finding it impassable- a minivan sprawled across the road, dad snapping photos of a "wolf" (coyote) forty yards away, while I'm trying to maintain composure and explain that, in the event of emergency, no one could get in and out of the campground because of his vehicle. The look I received was as though I was from another planet. The possibility other people exist just never occurred to him.

Western megafauna like bison and pronghorn and grizzlies exhibit stress responses just at the existence of roads- they alter feeding, migration, distribution patterns. I can't imagine what a flock of tourists fifteen feet away does, but IMO it seems it'd fall under the category of harassing wildlife.