Pyramid Lake, March 19-22, 2021

MCHammer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I made it to Pyramid Lake this year. I left about 12 days after my second dose of the Covid vaccine; I would not have gone if I hadn't had the vaccine.

March 19—Got to my favored campsite at Warrior Point on Pyramid Lake about noon, and set up my 21 ft. travel trailer. Fished a little but no luck. The wind started about sundown and nuked all night—it shook the trailer!

_DSC5320-Pano.jpg
A panorama from the south end of Pyramid Lake.

_DSC5341-Pano.jpg
A panorama at Warrior Point, starting north-northwest on the left, to south-southeast on the right.

March 20—Too windy to fish at my north-exposed camp and beach at Warrior Point. Went to Windless Bay, a semi-protected bay where the wind was tolerable. I caught one using a pink size 12 chironomid under a bobber. I tried to measure it using tape marks I had put on my net handle, but trying to tail it with one hand and attempting to get it aligned with the net handle in waves on the beach was impossible. So was getting a decent photo… I estimated the fish was about 24”, or about 7 pounds. This is actually an average-sized catch here, and I was hoping for something bigger.
P3180002.jpg
My most excellent fish photo. What looks like haze on the hills in the distance is snow falling, and the waves crashing on the beach are small compared to the beaches that are more exposed to the wind.

_DSC5355.jpg
"The Needles" at the north end of Pyramid Lake

March 21—fished 3 hours in the morning at camp with no action. At least the wind was calm! Ate an early dinner and fished until dark—not a bite. Nobody else was catching any, either. Fished almost entirely with my 8-weight switch and a bobber, because I was having issues single-hand casting my new 10’ 7 weight, which I built this winter from a Proof Fly Fishing kit. The arthritis in my thumbs was making it painful to use my thumb on the forward cast.

March 22—My last day. Got up at 6:00 a.m. and fished near camp for about an hour before the wind came across the bay out of the North, and made casting impossible. A strong North wind at Warrior Point means you’re done. As I fished, I could see the whitecaps moving across the lake, and knew I would be done when that weather reached me.

I packed up and went to Windless Bay again. Before I even started fishing, a guy in a group with a guide hooked a 15-pounder. I went over to look at the beast in the net; they were jigging with spinning gear. They had a scale, and weighed the fish in the net. The guide was friendly, but wouldn’t tell me the exact pattern he was using. I can’t blame him for that—I probably wouldn’t have, either. I fished there with the same chironomid and bobber setup that worked the day before. Meanwhile, while his clients took a long break, the guide hooted and hollered every time he caught one, which was every 15 minutes to a half hour or so. None of the other fly fishers were having any luck either, so at 3:30 I headed back to camp for some hot caffeine.

After warming up and drinking a cup of coffee, I decided to try stripping with my 10 foot 7 wt. I used the Pyramid Lake combo of a foam Popcorn Beetle (white) in front, and a black and purple balanced leech in back. I know a lot of guys fish balanced leeches under bobbers, but I have caught fish in previous years using this setup. The foam beetle tries to float to the surface on the pauses, bringing the leech up with it. On the strip, the line straightens out and the leech pulls the beetle back down. And, I was getting bored watching the bobber.

I figured out a way I could cast the 10-footer without using my thumb on the grip. I used my left hand on the fighting butt and used my right hand as more of a lever point on the forward cast, similar to casting a two-handed rod. It worked, and I could finally enjoy my new rod! It casts pretty well, and it was a fun way to get started in rod-building.

Casting and stripping can get tiring, though, and I was getting lazy. On my first trip to Pyramid Lake a few years ago, a group of us hired a guide for the day. He sold me a fast sink-tip single-hand line for a 7 weight, and rigged it with a short butt section of yellow-green mono. He told us to always keep stripping until we saw the mono, because often a fish will follow your streamer right up to the end, and sometimes take it just before you pull it out.

I had been casting and stripping for about an hour, and was starting to think that with all the wind and only one fish, I might be done coming to Pyramid Lake. I got lazy, and on what was going to be my last cast, pulled the rod tip up before the mono had appeared. As I watched my line and started to reel in, I saw a pretty big fish following my fly—the first time I had seen that the whole trip!

That night, the wind blew harder than it had since I got there. It shook my trailer and set up a humming noise in something, making it difficult to sleep. The next day was sunny and clear, but the wind was still pretty strong. March can be a good month to fish Pyramid Lake because the fish are close to shore, but the weather can be an issue. I would not want to camp there in a tent! I will probably go back, though. There's a 20-pounder in there with my name on it, and it followed my fly until I pulled the fly away too soon.

_DSC5358.jpg
The Pyramid that gives Pyramid Lake its name. Warrior Point is in the right-hand distance.

golfrod

Reaction score
Only went there once many years ago, remember guys up on ladders fishing. Your report of the 15 pounder has me excited again :)

okaloosa

Reaction score
Nice report but i dont understand people who keep a hot pattern secret. That is bad karma.

Bigfly

Reaction score
You haven't guided apparently...

Notice he said nobody was catching but them...
Being able to find the key fly is partly what people pay a guide for.
At a fishery like Pyramid, word can spread fast...and then the fish get hooked enough they are put off by the "popular" fly.
Loose lips sink ships......
Or to put it another way...if I withhold the info from about a million yahoos, I'm doing the fish a favor, which is good karma. Right?
Several times I've been the only guy on that lake hooking up. It feels pretty good actually. I believe as fly fishers, figuring it out, is what the game is about.
It's a great place to study how people fish poorly.

Jim

Last edited:

okaloosa

Reaction score
You haven't guided apparently...

Notice he said nobody was catching but them...
Being able to find the key fly is partly what people pay a guide for.
At a fishery like Pyramid, word can spread fast...and then the fish get hooked enough they are put off by the "popular" fly.
Loose lips sink ships......
Or to put it another way...if I withhold the info from about a million yahoos, I'm doing the fish a favor, which is good karma. Right?
Several times I've been the only guy on that lake hooking up. It feels pretty good actually. I believe as fly fishers, figuring it out, is what the game is about.
It's a great place to study how people fish poorly.

Jim
I have fished with a lot of saltwater guides not as a client but as a friend. I pole them, they pole me. They always seem to share what fly is working with other guides as well as locations because they know one day they will be on the losing end and can get their day salvaged by another guides tip. I have fished tough tailwaters and cross paths with guides on their days off and we share what is working for us. Sounds like Pyramid Lake hosts a tough crowd;)

Bigfly

Reaction score
I have helped out a few times too many. When you trash a perfectly good pattern by bragging on line for instance, that's just bad business.
We're talking huge numbers of fishers...I remember when the balanced leech appeared out there. Not as great these days.
I do share about Lady bugs falling out there....but it only happens one week a year...so good luck with that one.
Helping a fellow guide is possible...but not because he's a guide, if we know each others character.
There is a guide out there who would love to know what I fish, because he would tell Umpqua that he invented it....to make a dime at my expense. AND then wear it out.
Yes, it's a dog eat dog world....
But honestly, the fish out there are as dumb as a Cutty could be......had an old fart tell me..."I been fishing here since '69 and all you need is a black and white bugger".
There....the secret's out.

Jim

Last edited: