Pyramid Lake, NV

CaptRedbeard

Reaction score
Pyramid Lake Nevada remains closed to all fishing. The Paiute Indian tribe closed entry to the reservation a while ago and the latest update shows no loosening of those restrictions (tribal members only). The trout must be growing nicely, even with the lower water flows from the Truckee River, and hopefully, the upcoming season will find all restrictions removed. The actual dates of the season are up in the air which is why I didn't post it. I will advise so that people can plan there trips this year.

justahack

Reaction score
Fishing from a ladder in near combat conditions...ugh. More power to those who can tolerate that.
Have you fished there before? Crowded, sure. But not combat. The chatter down the line is insightful and people are helpful and happy whenever fish are caught, no matter by whom. Never in my visits have I detected a competitive vibe. And even if I did, there were always beaches without folks. That place is some kind of different. Really amazing. I had reservations at Crosby’s for late March. Those got canceled, but I understand why and appreciate that the tribe closed it down. I prefer the long view. Next year should be even better.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I've only taken one trip there, for two days of fishing--so a really small sample size--and the weather was pretty nasty so it may have kept some away, but I saw very few other people fishing, and no one else was anywhere close to me. I only viewed them from a considerable distance, but I did get a kick out of how elaborate some of the "ladders" were. My guide had me use a short ladder like you'd find at any hardware or home improvement store, but I could see some that looked like swimming pool lifeguard stands with chairs at the top. I presume those belonged to some locals. As mentioned, a very different type of experience.

myt1

Reaction score
Yes, a very different experience.

I went there a couple years back with some buddies and we fished three days with a guide; and yes, our ladders had chairs on top of them.

One of my buddies pretty much hated it. He's a dry fly snob. But my other buddy and I had a great time.

That being said, I really don't have a burning desire to return. It was a unique experience, I caught some large fish, not 20 pounders though, but it

just isn't my idea of what fly fishing is all about.IMG_0529.JPG

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
myt1: My reaction was basically the same. No regrets having gone--I will never catch a larger trout in my lifetime--but like you no burning desire to return. When I think of future trips, I wrestle between new destinations versus doing a repeat trip to someplace I really enjoyed, and Pyramid Lake just doesn't make my potential repeat trip list. But for those who have never been and are intrigued I do think it's worth checking out/doing once, especially if in to unique experiences.

hatidua

Reaction score
I've never been but the photos are intriguing and I'm far from a purist, I'd definitely give it a whirl.

MCHammer

Reaction score
I didn't catch any 20-pounders, on my first trip in March 2018, but a guy I was with caught a 10-pounder that looked like a steelhead. Other than being mildly hypothermic at the end of the first day, I had a great time and hope to go again. I was set to go this year but the virus squashed that plan...
As justahack said, it is not combat fishing. The vibe is friendly and it's easy to find solitude if you want to.

I went for a couple of days in April last year and was getting skunked when a guy pulled up and started catching. His son was also getting skunked; I found out later that his son was using the same basic flies and setup that I was (larger chironimids and a bobber). Finally, when it looked like he was getting ready to leave, I went over and asked him what he was using. He said he had to get back to California soon anyway, and gave me the balanced leech he was using. I caught fish on it, and that saved my trip. First balanced leech I ever saw, but I've tied a bunch since for the next time I get there.

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
My son and daughter in law went a couple of months ago with a Green River guide who moves over to Pyramid in the winter. They had a blast and froze their butts off.
I don't have a lot of interest myself in that type of fishing but I think he will return. I just wish I knew where I went wrong as a parent that would make him have that ugly, insane beard:oops:

Attachments