Quad vs Pent vs Hex

gnarl78

Reaction score
How does the shape of the rod affect the way it performs, if it does? Do the different shapes have advantages in weight, flex, or other performance; or is it mostly cosmetic and personal preference?

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I'm hardly an expert, but I did look into this a while back when thinking of getting a first bamboo rod. First off, in terms of how a rod casts it's more about the taper than the shape. That said, quads are said to cast/track the straightest. Pentas were described as the springiest. Hexes somewhere in between and I read somewhere the best shape for someone new to bamboo - thought again the taper is more important than shape. If you Google the title of your post, you should find several older threads on this topic from the Classic/Clark's board.

gnarl78

Reaction score
What would you recommend in choosing a taper to match your casting style? So many tapers...I’d be interested in fast/medium fast rather than some of the more traditional deeper flexes.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
The only taper I can really recommend over others right now is from Paul Dufour @ PJ's Fine bamboo rods. Power to handle the wind and big fish while delicate and precise to present a tiny dry to spooky trout.

With my 3wt. I can easily cast a hopper/20 incher combo 30 ft. then lengthen the tippet and offer up the bug of the moment to those looking up.

Have heard great things about his 5wt. After a custom net it is on my list. He has one for me to try out. Gotta get over there and pick it up.

Hex stylee!

Last edited:

LePetomane

Reaction score
I don't know one taper from another as far as clones go. What I would recommend is to contact a rodmaker and describe what you are looking for and what kind of fishing you do. One thing to remember is that graphite and bamboo are two different materials and a fast action quick loading graphite will feel different than a fast action cane rod. My most recent rod was made by Chris Raine (hollowbuilt.com) and I could not be happier. I have owned rods from other makers, all good but this and a quad by Don Schroeder are what I reach for the most on local, smaller waters. One of the nice things about working with a dealer is that if you give him a price range he can get you what you are looking for whereas with a rodmaker the prices are fixed. Another thing is that very few if any of these things appreciate in value. What is collectible to one may be junk to another.

Perhaps the best value would be to look for an Orvis on the secondary market for starters instead of something by an obscure maker. Used Orvis rods in good condition can be obtained for less than the price of a mid-range graphite.

Last edited:

rsagebrush

Reaction score
You should probably try to attend a bamboo gathering where you can try various rods by various maker's, that can be hard to do though depending on where you live. You could go to a used dealer, Bob Selb is not too far from you and try a plethora of nice used rods.
The trip would justify the expense as good bamboo is quite spendy.

gnarl78

Reaction score
You should probably try to attend a bamboo gathering where you can try various rods by various maker's, that can be hard to do though depending on where you live. You could go to a used dealer, Bob Selb is not too far from you and try a plethora of nice used rods.
Is there a calendar of events? I know this year has been crazy so far.

gnarl78

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I found his web site and it looks like he has many rods, and I’m sure advice on what to look for with a used bamboo rod.

dr d

Reaction score
hi,

some years ago the european rod builders compared a lot and they preferred hex.

interesting that the best result came of a historic modell from pezon&michel and not a modern...

>>>gespliesste.ch>>>taper>>>messungen

thomas

Last edited:

LePetomane

Reaction score
Check out Orvis rods on the secondary market. Orvis rods on the secondary market are a lot better value than new ones.A previous poster mentioned Bob Selb (Classic Fly Fisherman). I have dealt with him on two occasions. A knowledgeable stand up guy.