Question about deer hair and flies I can tie with it?

bigtasty114

Reaction score
With hunting season coming up, I have a friend that always shoots a deer. He is willing to give me the hair, but neither of us is sure if I can use it and/or how to preserve it.

My questions are:

1. What type of fly can I tie with deer hair? Can I tie a Elk Hair Caddis pattern but use deer hair instead? Is there a difference between Elk and Deer hair?

2. What part of the deer hair should I have saved and given to me? The tail? Parts of the body?

3. Besides putting it in a sealed bag, is there anything else I need to do to preserve it?

Thanks for any help I am not a hunter but I am new to fly tying and just don't want his deer hair to go to waste if I can use it for free.

goofnoff1

Reaction score
There are all kinds of differences in deer hair and there is much inormation on the net. Books have been written on the subject.

Deer hair from all the deer species is enormously useful.

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
With hunting season coming up, I have a friend that always shoots a deer. He is willing to give me the hair, but neither of us is sure if I can use it and/or how to preserve it.

My questions are:

1. What type of fly can I tie with deer hair? Can I tie a Elk Hair Caddis pattern but use deer hair instead? Is there a difference between Elk and Deer hair?

2. What part of the deer hair should I have saved and given to me? The tail? Parts of the body?

3. Besides putting it in a sealed bag, is there anything else I need to do to preserve it?

Thanks for any help I am not a hunter but I am new to fly tying and just don't want his deer hair to go to waste if I can use it for free.
All your answers to question 1 and 2 can be found here:

The ultimate guide to deer hair part 1.

The ultimate guide to deer hair part 2

The ultimate guide to deer hair part 3

As for question #3, the easiest solution but the most expensive is to have the entire hide tanned.

If you want to DIY:

You will need to stretch the skin and scrape off the fat and then preserve the hide with borax. Read through the instructions below for prepping deer hair. Go to Drying, Curing, Tanning

FAQ - Processing Fly Tying Materials at Home

goofnoff1

Reaction score
All your answers to question 1 and 2 can be found here:

The ultimate guide to deer hair part 1.

The ultimate guide to deer hair part 2

The ultimate guide to deer hair part 3

As for question #3, the easiest solution but the most expensive is to have the entire hide tanned.

If you want to DIY:

You will need to stretch the skin and scrape off the fat and then preserve the hide with borax. Read through the instructions below for prepping deer hair. Go to Drying, Curing, Tanning

FAQ - Processing Fly Tying Materials at Home
I couldn't remember Chris Helm's name to save myself. Thanks for the link. Helm was dead right about hair for compara duns.

flytie09

Reaction score
Get the tail and get a quarter of the hide which will include some of each the body, back, rump and leg hair. Enough for a lifetime.

Patterns to tie will be Bucktail streamers and Muddlers and components of dry flies like the wing of a Caddis, tail and body of a Humpy, body of an Irresistable, wings on comparaduns and emergers. Some guys even use it for streamer hackle. Great for spinning and shaping mice patterns.

If you start spinning it.... get some strong thread. And practice lots.