Question for the guys in the GSMP

luked

Reaction score
Been down since last sat. Rode the Harley around for 2 days and today got to do a little fishing. Caught one small fish about 8" between the sinks and Elkmont.
Then the rain came. And it came down hard. Fished a little more and headed into Gatlinberg. Waders were leaking so for our anniversary the wife bought me a new set. Talked to a young guy while at the store in Gatlinberg and he told us to head to Greenbriar road and fish the Little Pigeon I think it is. When we got up there the river was pretty muddy from the rain.

My question is how long does it take for the rivers to clear up normally. Is it fairly quick or does it take a while. Hoping to do some fishing tomorrow but might just fish around Cherokee since we are staying in Bryson City.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

jayr

Reaction score
Sometimes it doesn’t take long and other times it may take several hours to days. It all just depends on how much rain for how long. Also, it may not rain where you are but can way above you and this can be dangerous as you may see a wall of water coming at you.

Ive been fishing the GSMNP for over 40 years and a bit of color in the water usually helps. You may have to change your tactics a bit, but don’t let stained water keep you from fishing. It’s the gin clear water that makes it difficult.

Ditch the waders and wet wade. You will be far more comfortable. You probably will sweat more wearing waders.

mysticm

Reaction score
The GSMP streams clear up pretty quickly. Another option is to hike in for a few miles on some of the trails and then start fishing. There are a myriad of excellent trout streams in the smokies. On the Bryson City side, you can try fishing Deep Creek. Another alternative is to fish the Nantahala river. Suggest you visit the fly shop in Bryson City downtown. Those guys are very good with advice and also can set you up with the right flies.

2ltdjorn

Reaction score
I tell you what I’m seriously debating knocking of GMSP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayr

Reaction score
I tell you what I’m seriously debating knocking of GMSP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The GSMNP is and can be tricky. These are some of the spookiest fish there are.

In high or stained water go with nymphs or possibly streamers.

What you wear has a LOT to do with success here. Wear muted earth tone (camo) clothing, move slow, use the natural cover to hide, etc. to improve your success. And get as far off the beaten path as you can.

JDR

Reaction score
If you fish Cherokee water, understand that they have their own license requirement and their streams operate with rules that are different than NC or TN.

luked

Reaction score
Stopped in at Tuck fly shop today and bought some new boots and talked to a nice guy in there that pointed us to where deep creek was at. So we went up there for most of the day and I managed to catch one right at the first bridge going into the park. A lot of tubers floating down the river but was a really nice place.
For you all that get to fish the lark all the time you are some really lucky anglers. The place is beautiful and hopefully we will be back. Not sure when but I'll be back again.

jwbowen

Reaction score
Stopped in at Tuck fly shop today and bought some new boots and talked to a nice guy in there that pointed us to where deep creek was at. So we went up there for most of the day and I managed to catch one right at the first bridge going into the park. A lot of tubers floating down the river but was a really nice place.
For you all that get to fish the lark all the time you are some really lucky anglers. The place is beautiful and hopefully we will be back. Not sure when but I'll be back again.

They loaned me a fly rod once when I broke my only rod while backcountry fly fishing. I had opted to just switch out
reels instead of packing an extra rod to save weight. I had forgotten to pack an extra rod and leave in my truck on that
trip. They saved a 4 day trip:)). Very helpful group of guys at Tuck Fly Shop.