Question on flying with gear

luked

Reaction score
For all of you travelers I have a question. My family are planning on a trip to the florida keys next year for vacation and I am going to be doing some fishing while there. I am planning on taking a rod an reel combo as well as fly boxes and some other gear.
What I was wanting to know is what do all of you use for luggage to pack your gear as well as your normal travel stuff such as clothes and so on.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
For all of you travelers I have a question. My family are planning on a trip to the florida keys next year for vacation and I am going to be doing some fishing while there. I am planning on taking a rod an reel combo as well as fly boxes and some other gear.
What I was wanting to know is what do all of you use for luggage to pack your gear as well as your normal travel stuff such as clothes and so on.
Good question, but a loaded one (answer wise) given you're a year out. What the different airlines will allow now (and how) can shift with the tide. Only 'given' is you can ship the equipment ahead to your destination. With a 'heads up' they will expect/hold for you at the front desk.

That said, you will want to 'post' them off at least 10 days ahead to assure they get there before you do.:fishing:

Fred

lil_ol_angler_me

Reaction score
Good question, but a loaded one (answer wise) given you're a year out. What the different airlines will allow now (and how) can shift with the tide. Only 'given' is you can ship the equipment ahead to your destination. With a 'heads up' they will expect/hold for you at the front desk.

That said, you will want to 'post' them off at least 10 days ahead to assure they get there before you do.:fishing:

Fred
I agree with the above whole heartedly....I have traveled a LOT with all sorts of gear....Here is what I've worked it down to

Unless you get free baggage, my clothes except for one complete change is carefully boxed and shipped via Fed Ex Ground insured ( I've found them to be the least expensive and 100% reliable and always on time delivery usually a day or two early)

Tackle I pack in among the clothing, I've discovered that in the beginning I packed like 10 times more than I could ever use (LOL...did the same thing with clothes...I've since learned my lesson and gotten more...MUCH MORE INTELLIGENT with my packing)

I always ended up buying stuff there...I also go thru my T's- briefs - socks etc. and found what were on like their last wear or close to it, those always made the trip, I marked them so I remembered what was what...why?

because I need space to bring back all the ESSENTIAL purchases I inevitably buy...the worn outs get washed while there and discarded at the end of the stay making the room I need ... rods go in tubes made from thin wall drainage I get at the HD or Lowes etc.(about $8 per 10 ft)

I make the tube a little extra long, I glue the caps on and I label the tube like crazy, I pack extra caps as not all places carry the 3" pipe I use, I put the rod(s) in the foam pipe insulation that costs less than a dollar a length, then I glue the ends on

when I open the tube I cut the pipe VERY carefully, I cut AROUND the tube not straight down thru it !!! (I pack a course tooth hacksaw blade in my baggage box, with my knives etc. no knives on the plane to be concerned over) at a cap and I now have a tube to ship back in,( thats why I make it like 6 inches longer than I actually need) I buy a $2 can of cement or epoxy and I'm set for the return trip, ....

I CARRY ON a small shoulder case, Mine resembles a mini over nighter (2 suiter $10 at wally World) I pack a change of everything except shoes, I don't bring t-paste or shampoo etc. I get those at my destination and dispose at the end of the trip before the return flight

I also BRING in plastic sheet protectors (learned real fast about cold air/high humidity/hot temps/ A/C and condensation) copies of reservations, deposits, e mail communications, itineraries, fishing licenses, etc. all that stuff you'd be surprised at how many places look at you and say "WHAT???"... copies make instant believers out of them...

my travels are now totally seamless and a LOT ... LOT less worrisome

hope any of this helps

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

where you going in the Keys, I lived down there for 5 years before moving to Las Vegas in 09....

luked

Reaction score
I agree with the above whole heartedly....I have traveled a LOT with all sorts of gear....Here is what I've worked it down to

Unless you get free baggage, my clothes except for one complete change is carefully boxed and shipped via Fed Ex Ground insured ( I've found them to be the least expensive and 100% reliable and always on time delivery usually a day or two early)

Tackle I pack in among the clothing, I've discovered that in the beginning I packed like 10 times more than I could ever use (LOL...did the same thing with clothes...I've since learned my lesson and gotten more...MUCH MORE INTELLIGENT with my packing)

I always ended up buying stuff there...I also go thru my T's- briefs - socks etc. and found what were on like their last wear or close to it, those always made the trip, I marked them so I remembered what was what...why?

because I need space to bring back all the ESSENTIAL purchases I inevitably buy...the worn outs get washed while there and discarded at the end of the stay making the room I need ... rods go in tubes made from thin wall drainage I get at the HD or Lowes etc.(about $8 per 10 ft)

I make the tube a little extra long, I glue the caps on and I label the tube like crazy, I pack extra caps as not all places carry the 3" pipe I use, I put the rod(s) in the foam pipe insulation that costs less than a dollar a length, then I glue the ends on

when I open the tube I cut the pipe VERY carefully, I cut AROUND the tube not straight down thru it !!! (I pack a course tooth hacksaw blade in my baggage box, with my knives etc. no knives on the plane to be concerned over) at a cap and I now have a tube to ship back in,( thats why I make it like 6 inches longer than I actually need) I buy a $2 can of cement or epoxy and I'm set for the return trip, ....

I CARRY ON a small shoulder case, Mine resembles a mini over nighter (2 suiter $10 at wally World) I pack a change of everything except shoes, I don't bring t-paste or shampoo etc. I get those at my destination and dispose at the end of the trip before the return flight

I also BRING in plastic sheet protectors (learned real fast about cold air/high humidity/hot temps/ A/C and condensation) copies of reservations, deposits, e mail communications, itineraries, fishing licenses, etc. all that stuff you'd be surprised at how many places look at you and say "WHAT???"... copies make instant believers out of them...

my travels are now totally seamless and a LOT ... LOT less worrisome

hope any of this helps

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

where you going in the Keys, I lived down there for 5 years before moving to Las Vegas in 09....
Thanks a bunch for the info. It will help a lot
As far as where we are going it's still a little up in the air with islamorda and marathon the 2 we are looking at the most. Or more me looking at the most just because of the fishing. Wife don't care as long as the hotel has easy close beach access. I'm wanting to book a charter for a day for some tarpon fishing on the fly. And hopefully some shore fishing from the hotel during the mornings while the wife and kids sleep in. Any info would be a huge help

lil_ol_angler_me

Reaction score
I lived in Marathon @ MM59, (they use Mile Markers to define location there) and the fishing a few miles in either direction was exceptional

don't know what the budget is, but Hawks Cay MM 60 or so is a really nice resort good beach and others short drives away so a variety can be had...You must try these places to eat, going south from Hawks Cay, The Wreck and Galley,say hi to Rachel ( a tall brunette) and Amber ( a sweet honey blonde) for me, it's right next to the Dolphin Research Center (must visit, plan on at least a couple hrs there, google it)), then The Island Fish House and Tiki Bar, ( you'll see my Capt Bob VA license plate on one of the beams of the HUGE tiki bar) say hello to Rob and everyone there especially Matt and his wife...Wooden Spoon a great fun locals place for breakfast,I always got a "Spooner Sandwich with an added slice of grilled tomatoe... say hi to LISA for me....the Stuffed Pig across from the Hospital (not because of the food) is a good b-fst place as well, on 35th st gulf side at the end of the road is the Keys Fishery and restaurant...YOU WANT TO TRY THE LOBSTER REUBEN!!!!!!!!!!!!, then down by the 7 mile bridge is "PORKY'S TOO" good food and deep fried key lime pie, one of my VA plates is there as well NVR4GT it's a VA Viet Nam Vet's plate and one of my Charter Co's hats as well, a dark blue with yellow letters "Bay Dream Charters" Johnny and Barbra are good people

now the little resort owned by the people at Porky's has nice rooms etc AND the rooms all come with a boat for you to use...no beach there but several only a few miles in either direction including Bahai Honda rated one of the best 100 in the world , at least the last I heard..Sombrero Beach is excellent and easy to get to with plenty of parking

I stayed at White Sands on a trip before my move to the Keys and I ate at Rainbows Bend which was right next door, good food and nice accommodations both have their own beaches on the ocean side

If you want to go north to Islamorada ...Check out CHEECA LODGE it's a very classy place as well

want or need GREAT sunglasses stop and see Pat and Linda @ Flying Fishermen Glasses in Tavernier
, great folks and fantastic glasses at really reasonable prices (google them also) known them like 20 yrs and theirs are the only glasses I wear

check out Homepage | KeysNet the online issue of the local keys paper some good info there as well

there's a ton of info on the net...go have fun and explore

drop me a pm with your e mail I have some pic's in my pc I'll send you

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

shore fishing is really openly available, but definitely try the bridges you can fish from the bridges (they have dedicated walkways) and along side the bridges from water level, Tarpon, sharks, jacks, cudas, you name it, you can get a skiff and fish in the lagoon on the south side of the causeway at Duck Key by Hawks Cay, catch a Cuda and butterfly it for chum attractant and do battle with a BIG hammerhead or two, you will literally be in casting distance of the Tom's Harbor Bridge by Hawks Cay and Duck Key