Quit pimping the water

Status
Not open for further replies.

old timer

Reaction score
It's been said a lot. The majority will fish the upper river where the hogs are. Locals will downstream but i'm not telling them anything.

You could say any tailwater will have more solitude downstream.

westcoast

Reaction score
I turned 65 this year and it's $5 per year from here on end.
The thing with BC is that there are lots of fish and just as many lakes, you don't need to travel far North to be all alone, but I understand how it's different in the US, especially on the more popular rivers/streams. Being a still water kayak fisher, overcrowding has never been an issue for me.
Don't get me going on the mosquitos though 😢

westcoast

Reaction score
How's the mosquitoes?
Since you asked.
I was fishing this "double-secret" lake last summer, only accessible by logging road. There I saw a lot of bear activity in the area and decided to sleep in the Suv that night. Being hot, I had the sunroof open, next morning I woke up with a bloody and itchy face. There was so many mosquitos that everytime I rolled on my side I squished the ones on my face leaving a pool of blood.

westcoast

Reaction score
Black Flies and Horse flies are worst.
They are the custodians of productive waterways. You can give people the GPS coordinates for the exact honey hole spot and they still wont go. :D

old timer

Reaction score
I got permission to fish a creek on private land. The creek ran through a cattle ranch. Not sure what the flies were. Horn flies, horse flies? Whatever they were they were kamikaze and ate me up. I never went back there again.

westcoast

Reaction score
When mosquitoes are truly bad you can hear them. I don't mean you can hear one buzzing beside your ear, I mean that you notice a din of noise that is clearly made by millions of the insects.
Another reason why not to go outside ☠

yikes

Reaction score
I'm late to this thread, but here's how other people have inadvertently pimped their secret spots to me: When I see a car or truck with stickers for FFF, TU, CalTrout, SIMMS, Sage, etc. at an otherwise unassuming roadside pullout, I flag the location in my GPS for a later visit.

Want to keep it secret? Either don't put stickers on your vehicle, or hide them, or park further away from your secret spot.

WWKimba

Reaction score
I'm late to this thread, but here's how other people have inadvertently pimped their secret spots to me: When I see a car or truck with stickers for FFF, TU, CalTrout, SIMMS, Sage, etc. at an otherwise unassuming roadside pullout, I flag the location in my GPS for a later visit.

Want to keep it secret? Either don't put stickers on your vehicle, or hide them, or park further away from your secret spot.
Next I figure we'll here from a military intelligence officer that uses a spy satellite to find hot spots!

Kim

Actually, we probably WON'T hear from someone in military intelligence!

SerialNumber

Reaction score
It's not really "pimping," but what about sharing a favorite location with another fly fisher you have good relations with? What if you are that other fly fisher? Do you then come back on your own? How long of a period of doing that, fishing it yourself and bonding with the place, before you feel it's just as much "your" spot, and you are entitled to share with yet another? Is there an etiquette for that situation?

I shared a rental cabin location with someone (not fishing related), then really regretted it when they started going there regularly for a getaway, even telling others. I didn't even volunteer the information about the cabin initially. They just knew we were "away in the mountains" because we talked about being there, and eventually they asked us where we went because it sounded so nice. I learned a lesson.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Living in a small town many here know my proclivity to fish small blue lines. When asked about them my standard answer is a paraphrase of a quote from Craig Childs.
" It is very difficult to get a fly around in there. Every metaphor of frustration can be held taut on a line caught 20' up in a tree."
Seems to work most of the time😉

old timer

Reaction score

You'll need a good rock crawler to get to where I park.

Status
Not open for further replies.