Quit pimping the water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Old Timer, did you just pimp out a piece of water, I'll remember that if I ever go back to Colorado.
Everyone knows the only place to fish on the Pan is right under the dam. But skip the tiny flies if you want to catch the big ones.
A good mouse pattern twitched across the surface is much more effective.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that the mystery behind a post like this is much more inspiring than for me to tell you where or when.

Steelhead.jpg

When you know where there are trout like that you just don't tell. All these new guys are able to go find them without me telling them how, I did it. I've been doing it since before we ever heard of a Smart Phone or internet. I wasn't running my mouth back then either. This whole concept of people wanting to be the big man, the guy who shares, the guide who will make a commercial video about a stream........ This is all the spawn of the internet. Prior to the internet people who ran their mouths telling everyone where they fished were known as blowhards or bullshitters and no one subscribed to them. Quite frankly the tail of that fish is larger than most of the fish people want to brag about catching on some weighted nymph.

Must be the final stages of cabin fever here, I'm feeling a little grumpy.

Last edited:

trev

Reaction score
Before internet there were outdoor magazines, maybe there still are, but I dropped all my fishing magazine subscriptions in the mid '80s because I was tired of the "grow the sport" mindset and promotion of waters that were already pressured. I know that didn't stop them but it keep me from getting angry again with every new issue.
We can all be closed mouthed and the marketers of tackle and magazines and fishing permits and lodging will continue to oversell any accessible waters there are.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
Ard you need to accept nymphs , they are here to stay . Just like bobbers , 75 percent of nymphmaniacs use some type of floater. lol

Last edited:

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I keep giving out angry icons on fb every time someone wants info when the op doesn't give it up. But it's not working. A few more posts and somebody always blab. So the op has no control of the info once it's out there. Destroy all newbies.

al_a

Reaction score
Pimping the water is definitely one of my pet peeves. If I know you and trust you, you'll have any secret spot I have for the asking. But there is a VAST difference between that and splashing that spot all over the internet. In Missouri, the streams large enough to float are all permissible to float, fish, wade, or whatever. The wading size streams are private, and you fish them either by permission of the landowners, or because the landowners don't mind people fishing them. I've recently seen one young nimrod putting videos of those private creeks on Youtube, naming the creek. How stupid is that? If that video brings even a handful more people onto that stream, the landowner is probably going to get fed up with it and close the creek to everybody.

I've suffered first hand from the effects of publicizing smaller streams on the net. What was once my favorite little creek, a creek so small you could step across the riffles in three steps and not get the top of your tennies wet, regularly produced 18-19 inch smallmouth, and LOTS of nice fish. Then some young idiot whose family had land on the creek decided it would be okay to publicize it on a fishing forum. The next thing I knew, there was more trash, cars parked at the only two bridge crossings, and fish guts at the bridges...and now those 18 inch plus smallmouth are absolutely gone.

That creek had such a fragile fishery that I made myself only fish it two to three times during the summer. And my other favorite wading streams are the same, and I treat them the same, never publicizing them, keeping quiet about them even when in casual conversation with another angler. This has been the worst year ever for hordes of people descending upon spots, whether they be good fishing or good hiking spots, and ALL these new or inexperienced people are finding out about those spots on places like Facebook. And the more people you attract to someplace, the more likely it is that some of them will mistreat it.

I read somewhere on here where somebody asked what the harm was in publicizing spots, because he could learn where to go in a state far away from where he lived, and since he was only going to be there once, what did it matter? Well, what about the other thousand people that also learned of those spots? Ask me a question in a private message, convince me that you'll appreciate it, value the resource, and keep quiet about it, and I'll tell you where I think you should fish. But I ain't gonna put it up on a billboard.

I understand the need for introducing new people to our sport, with the idea that they will become more advocates for protecting the sport and the waters we fish. But we MUST be circumspect on talking up lesser known waters to the newbies. The focus has to be on valuing those waters and explaining that they simply can't take an order of magnitude more pressure.

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Better than the sunday comics. It is better to give than to receive.
Over the years I have found that those with the tightest lips are the ones who give away very little of themselves in life. They also want to charge you for everything.

if someone respectfully asks, I will tell. everyone has a few spots they reserve as their secrets...as it should be. But soon we will be gone from this earth and what was our legacy...stinginess and secrets or sharing and discovery?

where do you draw the line? family? friend? cohort?

it is in these snowy winter months where one can choose to add to the excellence of the tradition or close up shop and keep it quiet. Winter months are for planning, taking care of the inner beast and getting people happy and motivated to hit the water when the time arises.

we have monetized everything. I bet those with tight lips would take someone to that secret spot for hire. if You cannot understand the dichotomy you will never know the feeling of true giving, teaching and motivating and the feeling of success that follows such an act.

I have been so blessed to have been to so many locations you’re darn right I share my Spots, you may call it pimping but I call it preserving the sport, the legacy and the love of Flyfishing.
B95106B7-2CEA-4AD9-85BF-FD9182BABBE9.jpeg

trev

Reaction score
The 'sport' won't be preserved by having hordes of people attracted to it any more than a crop field is preserved by having a plague of locusts.
The tradition of fly fishing has never been to expand the 'sport' really. Until the 1950s the 'sport' was pretty much reserved to the wealthy and to the professional classes, even in the post war surplus of disposable income and more importantly disposable time fly fishing wasn't the 'sport' of the masses that it has become in this century.
The 'sport' has already out grown sustainability of the native resources, only kept in semi balance by stocking of non-native trout and by the creation of tailwater fisheries. If this growth rate continues will there be any place left for sports to congregate? I see 'sports angers' as being the light geese of mankind, we are using the resource just as they are devastating the only place on earth that they can breed by overpopulation. I don't foresee a long term future for any wild or native fishery, I've seen demands that states stock large reservoirs with the native bass in order to support competition fishing, that is where fly fishing will be if we "grow the sport".
If we admit that most fisheries are strained at present, then we must see that even maintaining the current numbers of anglers is endangering all of "the sport". "Growing the sport" can only accelerate the "sport's" demise.
Will fish & game stock macro invertebrates to replace those killed by anglers boots? or will they just set up pellet feeders on the "wild" streams?
Have fun while it lasts, and include PDF maps with those GPS coordinates.

old timer

Reaction score
Over the years I have found that those with the tightest lips are the ones who give away very little of themselves in life. They also want to charge you for everything.

if someone respectfully asks, I will tell. everyone has a few spots they reserve as their secrets...as it should be. But soon we will be gone from this earth and what was our legacy...stinginess and secrets or sharing and discovery?

it is in these snowy winter months where one can choose to add to the excellence of the tradition or close up shop and keep it quiet. Winter months are for planning, taking care of the inner beast and getting people happy and motivated to hit the water when the time arises.

we have monetized everything. I bet those with tight lips would take someone to that secret spot for hire. if You cannot understand the dichotomy you will never know the feeling of true giving, teaching and motivating and the feeling of success that follows such an act.

I have been so blessed to have been to so many locations you’re darn right I share my Spots, you may call it pimping but I call it preserving the sport, the legacy and the love of Flyfishing.
View attachment 31917
I think more about the fish than some other fisherman. You want to learn how to fish? Go to a fly shop. You want to know what gear to buy? Go to a fly shop. You want to know where to fish? Go to a fly shop or ask you.

You want to know my honey holes? LOL

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score

View attachment 31917
Every morning I give several posters on fb the angry emoji for telling, asking, or just plain ruining my sport. I was easy on you. People need to find their own way. It's not like pimping a good steak house.

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think more about the fish than some other fisherman. You want to learn how to fish? Go to a fly shop. You want to know what gear to buy? Go to a fly shop. You want to know where to fish? Go to a fly shop or ask you.

You want to know my honey holes? LOL
No.
Every morning I give several posters on fb the angry emoji for telling, asking, or just plain ruining my sport. I was easy on you. People need to find their own way. It's not like pimping a good steak house.
no need to be easy on me, my skin is thicker than steel belted radials. Sad for you bruh.

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The 'sport' won't be preserved by having hordes of people attracted to it any more than a crop field is preserved by having a plague of locusts.
The tradition of fly fishing has never been to expand the 'sport' really. Until the 1950s the 'sport' was pretty much reserved to the wealthy and to the professional classes, even in the post war surplus of disposable income and more importantly disposable time fly fishing wasn't the 'sport' of the masses that it has become in this century.
The 'sport' has already out grown sustainability of the native resources, only kept in semi balance by stocking of non-native trout and by the creation of tailwater fisheries. If this growth rate continues will there be any place left for sports to congregate? I see 'sports angers' as being the light geese of mankind, we are using the resource just as they are devastating the only place on earth that they can breed by overpopulation. I don't foresee a long term future for any wild or native fishery, I've seen demands that states stock large reservoirs with the native bass in order to support competition fishing, that is where fly fishing will be if we "grow the sport".
If we admit that most fisheries are strained at present, then we must see that even maintaining the current numbers of anglers is endangering all of "the sport". "Growing the sport" can only accelerate the "sport's" demise.
Will fish & game stock macro invertebrates to replace those killed by anglers boots? or will they just set up pellet feeders on the "wild" streams?
Have fun while it lasts, and include PDF maps with those GPS coordinates.
You definitely need to get out of your circle and see a bit more. I can fish in a different quality location for a year without seeing these phantom crowds of spot killers.

old timer

Reaction score
You definitely need to get out of your circle and see a bit more. I can fish in a different quality location for a year without seeing these phantom crowds of spot killers.
Probably, more with where you live than anything else. Live where fisherman come from all over the world to fish your area and you might feel different. There's no shortage of water to fish here. Noobs are fine finding good water to fish. It's everywhere. Go to the DOW website and it will give you a gazillion places to fish and tell you what you'll catch and what to use to catch them.

They don't need to fish where I am.

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Probably, more with where you live than anything else. Live where fisherman come from all over the world to fish your area and you might feel different. There's no shortage of water to fish here. Noobs are fine finding good water to fish. It's everywhere. Go to the DOW website and it will give you a gazillion places to fish and tell you what you'll catch and what to use to catch them.

They don't need to fish where I am.
I hear you, I can find quiet productive waters around BV even with the new CO masses. I understand you’re not mobile like you once were and that makes things more difficult. I will be there soon but until then a few minutes of walking gets you away from most folks. Just really despise the I am already here you’re not welcome mentality that goes with stingy hearts and minds. Hope you’re staying healthy.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score

No stewardship in az. This guys channel really pisses me off. When I fish here no trout leaves the water. Sometimes i almost go in the water. Tough bank. They get offensive here when I say something and I'm too old to throw anybody in the water in years. Bring the wife kids and dogs. Lets go kill some fish.

trev

Reaction score
the I am already here you’re not welcome mentality that goes with stingy hearts and minds.
Ahh, that's not it at all, it's just that we don't need to advertise.
I don't have any problem with new folks taking up fly fishing, even if they do it on my creek, I do have a problem with people that want to "grow the sport" beyond carrying capacity for their own profit. I also have a problem with the guy from over yonder coming onto "your water" and publicizing it.
With the population ever increasing the 'sport' will grow regardless even if the percentage of new recruits is lower the number will increase. Any serious angler can and will find a place to fish. Publicist and marketeers don't necessarily have to be anglers to profit from exposure of "your water".
I'm at the age where it really makes no difference personally, because more years are behind than are ahead.

But let's look at the "stingy" aspect, say a good fellow in your town always ha s an open door and food on the table for any neighbors that happen by, and goes out of his way to help the needy in the community, even within the area, but he fails to erect billboards on the interstate saying "free food and lodging for all" and he fails to take out advertising on TV saying that his house in open to all with no questions- is this guy then "stingy"? How much should be given before the "stingy" wears off?

SerialNumber

Reaction score
A few years ago, there was a guide I ran across a few times whose lips were tight in a certain way. He didn't like to talk, but you got the impression that putting a few quarters in would loosen those jawbones up. But then, when there was a fish on, he'd be absolutely screaming, "ROD TIP UP! ROD TIP UP!" You could suddenly hear him from hundreds of feet away! STFU, I would always think. His own form of advertising, perhaps. I can't fathom paying anyone to scream at me. There are definitely different types of reticence. It's a balance between stinginess or selfishness, and appropriate trust in others who share your approach to fishing and the riparian habitat. And that probably depends on what your own motivations for fishing are.

Status
Not open for further replies.