Quit pimping the water

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ahh, that's not it at all, it's just that we don't need to advertise.
I don't have any problem with new folks taking up fly fishing, even if they do it on my creek, I do have a problem with people that want to "grow the sport" beyond carrying capacity for their own profit. I also have a problem with the guy from over yonder coming onto "your water" and publicizing it.
With the population ever increasing the 'sport' will grow regardless even if the percentage of new recruits is lower the number will increase. Any serious angler can and will find a place to fish. Publicist and marketeers don't necessarily have to be anglers to profit from exposure of "your water".
I'm at the age where it really makes no difference personally, because more years are behind than are ahead.

But let's look at the "stingy" aspect, say a good fellow in your town always ha s an open door and food on the table for any neighbors that happen by, and goes out of his way to help the needy in the community, even within the area, but he fails to erect billboards on the interstate saying "free food and lodging for all" and he fails to take out advertising on TV saying that his house in open to all with no questions- is this guy then "stingy"? How much should be given before the "stingy" wears off?
I understand your meaning, these are old an tired reasons to me. Also, many would consider you as out west. Love me some old strip mines for fly fishin for LMB. I do not profit from fly fishing, I am firmly rooted in the cost/expense/gobroke club. One of your biggest problems with fly fishing is the guides and outfitters on your public lands. But no doubt you support that for reasons of your own. It’s a fickle sport we live in.

trev

Reaction score
. But no doubt you support that for reasons of your own
Not at all.
I think it should be illegal to guide on public land or water for payment. Maybe I am greedy, but I strongly disapprove bought hunts or bought fish. Each person should do their own work.
Also, many would consider you as out west.
Back in the '50s and '60s the locals in Oregon and Idaho called us all "pork eaters from back East" after years of living there and all of them liked bacon with their eggs.

SerialNumber

Reaction score
Each person should do their own work.
It took me about 7 trips to get to a more-or-less consistent fish-catching point on the river I was remembering in my above post. The client of the screaming guide got to that point on his second trip, if only for that one trip. I remember that client saying he'd gotten skunked his first time, and therefore had decided to hire a guide for the second. He was all smiles, but I never saw him there again. I feel I earned my knowledge.

sasquatch7

Reaction score

No stewardship in az. This guys channel really pisses me off. When I fish here no trout leaves the water. Sometimes i almost go in the water. Tough bank. They get offensive here when I say something and I'm too old to throw anybody in the water in years. Bring the wife kids and dogs. Lets go kill some fish.
Too many idiots doing this altho this particular place is no secret .

rsagebrush

Reaction score
I hope they all stay in the Hog Hole, keeps them concentrated and away from me.

I don't share much because it's my effort that found out about it, it's not for sale and it's rarely shared, when it is I let them know it's not for general distribution, break that rule and no more tips from me.

wjg

Reaction score
Next I figure we'll here from a military intelligence officer that uses a spy satellite to find hot spots!
I'm not military nor intelligent but I do use aerial photography surveys and go ogle earth to locate access and trails near water I'm interested in.

wjg

Reaction score
It's not like pimping a good steak house.
It kinda is Steve. The more great reviews a place gets leads to longer line ups/fewer reservations available. Worse case, the owner tries to capitalize and now everything is hurried and subpar because of the crowding. :)

WWKimba

Reaction score
It kinda is Steve. The more great reviews a place gets leads to longer line ups/fewer reservations available. Worse case, the owner tries to capitalize and now everything is hurried and subpar because of the crowding. :)
"Nobody goes there anymore because it's always crowded" - Yogi Berra

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Where do you draw the line from pimping the water to helping someone to enjoy the sport of fishing - especially those new to this fine sport? I remember growing up that the American Legion Post in my hometown didn't want to recognize Vietnam vets for inclusion and they didn't include them for years! Then what happened - the WW II and Korea vets got too old, died off and all of a sudden the post tried to throw it's doors open to those same vets!

I know that we all would hate to see elbow-to-elbow fishers at our favorite spot overfishing our favorite streams BUT we also don't want to discourage the new generations of fishers out there or we will rue that day as well!

Kim
The lines are drawn....on a map. Want to discourage people just show them a crowded river. I encourage people non stop. That doesn't mean I tell them where to fish. When I do, 90% of the time it's the same place and they'll catch fish there. Stockers eat anything and they are especially fond of the beginner's SJWs in all their thread, chenille, and rubber forms. Lol

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Here's another aspect. How much does media focus on fishing etiquette, handling, staying off redds, etc. compared to go here go there, use this use that and catch fish? The fact is the majority don't give two turds about the fish and they have their justification for whatever they do.

Mean to tell me you just stumbled on this spot but don't know what a redd is? Reality. They read something about the location and didn't give two rat's arses about the fish.

I see fish in the dirt pictures. I politely say nice fish but the dirt is hard on them. Then comes the excuse; didn't have a net, fishing alone, it was wet dirt, etc. Let's be honest, you didn't give a shite about the fish as the picture was of greater value.

These are the people being invited to a river near you. Well how do they learn? The info is out there, just like the locations, but they have no time or need for it. Just tell them where to go.

Ok. Enough from me. I'm preaching to the choir. Lol

SerialNumber

Reaction score
Ok. Enough from me. I'm preaching to the choir. Lol
You probably are, but there are some experienced folks who disregard what's good for the fish, too. They're not in the choir.

I called a fly shop this winter to ask about a river I'd been considering, which has dramatically variable flows (250cfs to 2000cfs in a day, sometimes). I mentioned that I'm currently heeding the voluntary closure of a different local river that's heavily pressured. The season's officially open in winter on that other river, but it's quite looked down upon to fish it, and there are efforts underway to make the closure official. The river's health has had its ups and downs over the past 10 years or so. I figured that mentioning my observance of the closure would show I was someone who respects fisheries, and not some yahoo, and might lead to helpful info on the flows of this other place.

The main web page for the shop has information on the voluntary closure, including its reasons and a request for fly fishers to heed it. On the phone I was referred to a man who sounded like he was in his 60's, and after a brief chat on the new river (he didn't really know anything) he started grilling me on the last time I'd been at the voluntary closure river. He seemed impressed with my success there from a few weeks back. He started asking where, precisely on the river I'd been. What flies had I been using? What size? And what color? It sounded like he was writing it down, even. I found it strange, so finally I asked him about the voluntary closure, which was already several weeks in. He starts explaining how it's not really necessary to heed the closure if the fisher knows what to do, and fishes it in a certain way, etc., etc. It was total B.S.

I was surprised on two accounts -- first, that the shop would have this ecological "keep away" message posted on their page about the river, but then at the same time be fishing it themselves. Second was that this experienced guy thought that location and detailed fly information from three weeks past would have any bearing whatsoever on his success. I learned my lesson there, I suppose. In any case I'm definitely never patronizing that shop.

SerialNumber

Reaction score
SerialNumber , he probably used your info for a fishing report .
I thought so, too, but when I brought up the closure he definitely reacted, as if he was backtracking on something or explaining or justifying. No question. So it wasn't as obvious as your bold letters make it seem.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
I thought so, too, but when I brought up the closure he definitely reacted, as if he was backtracking on something or explaining or justifying. No question. So it wasn't as obvious as your bold letters make it seem.
The bold letters appeared magically when i copied and pasted you name . Chill , now if it were all caps ..............

SerialNumber

Reaction score
Ah, I see. Thanks. My boldness is catching. It was a weird conversation, in any case. I regret not having been bolder then, and saying something to him.

westcoast

Reaction score
Here's my grouch for today.

Taking a picture of a fish caught should be against the law unless you keep it to eat.
This needs further explanation ;)
Is it because the fish doesn't get any copyright say in the photo and the photographer intruded on it's private property, or the camera passes lethal radiation to the fish when photo taken leading to long term psychological damage. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.