Quit pimping the water

Status
Not open for further replies.

old timer

Reaction score
No, it's because fisherman abuse the fish when taking pictures. Not a concern if it's going to be eaten. Otherwise, it's just bragging. If you go fishing to takes pictures to show on a forum you're fishing for the wrong reason.

We all know what fish look like.

WWKimba

Reaction score
This needs further explanation ;)
Is it because the fish doesn't get any copyright say in the photo and the photographer intruded on it's private property, or the camera passes lethal radiation to the fish when photo taken leading to long term psychological damage. :D
And why should the fish be any different than me! ?

Kim

trev

Reaction score
This needs further explanation ;)
Is it because the fish doesn't get any copyright say in the photo and the photographer intruded on it's private property, or the camera passes lethal radiation to the fish when photo taken leading to long term psychological damage. :D
I feel that way too because in the trout parks every picture I see taken involves excessive air time, three or more drops into the gravel followed by stepping on it to get hold of it again and other similar procedures. I object to use of nets for similar reasons.

westcoast

Reaction score
I feel that way too because in the trout parks every picture I see taken involves excessive air time, three or more drops into the gravel followed by stepping on it to get hold of it again and other similar procedures. I object to use of nets for similar reasons.
I think you will find that most fish photos are taken while the fish is in the net and submerged, improper hook removal is 100 times more harmful.

trev

Reaction score
I think you will find that most fish photos are taken while the fish is in the net and submerged, improper hook removal is 100 times more harmful.
Perhaps pictures posted on this site. But, the people posting pictures on this site are not the average anglers.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
I don't have issues with pictures if done placing the well-being of the fish over the picture. I seldom take fish pictures; seen one you've seem them all pretty much. This one is a year or two back to prove browns existed in a certain water. So pictures can be useful tools. Oh, and the sigh of disgust from the biologist when I told her I let go. Lol

2021_0228_12303725.jpg

I

ikankecil

(not directed at anyone in particular)

Really care about fish and want to do the least amount of damage? -stop fishing.

The barbed-vs-barbless or photo-vs-no-photo sermons amount to debating which is the cleaner end of the dog turd in the yard.

Daz

National Treasure
Reaction score
No, it's because fisherman abuse the fish when taking pictures. Not a concern if it's going to be eaten. Otherwise, it's just bragging. If you go fishing to takes pictures to show on a forum you're fishing for the wrong reason.

We all know what fish look like.
How is this (or my avatar) abuse?

DSCN1333.JPG

old timer

Reaction score
I fish for trout and that's what i'm talking about.

I gave my opinion. You can give yours and I won't challenge it, so don't challenge mine.

fq13

Reaction score
I say we quit watering the pimp!
What he said! I have never taken fish pictures in my life, don't do social media and if you want my honey holes? You better be hot and easy or buy me a good meal. Otherwise I will give you good but vague advice and trust you know how to use Google earth and don't mind getting a little sweaty getting there.

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sharing is not a new idea, it’s actually been around since the beginnings of time to help make this a better place and not just for a fee. One of you old kind fellows just sent me a pm chastising me for posting a tidbit about a nice little canyon spot that has some of the most awesome spring fishing you can find if you have what it takes. I know he thinks the more people the worse and not the more people the better. More folks can get a better understanding of what it is and how to best manage it. I am already here, don’t build anymore, Btw this is social media. Learning and teaching go hand in hand with sharing, not just for a fee.

karstopo

Reaction score
Have lots of honey holes and always be looking for more, that’s my MO. Reliable spots get discovered or some disaster or something ruins them. Even If you don’t pimp them, someone else will, that’s almost a given these days.

Then there are places that are tricky to fish correctly so that they are in plain sight and readily available, but get overlooked by the more casual fishermen. Some places have very specific presentations that are required and anyone that doesn’t get that won’t actually unlock the key into great fishing at that spot. You could give exact GPS coordinates to the place, but 90 percent or more of the fishing population still wouldn’t get how to fish the spot.

Acheron

Reaction score
One of you old kind fellows just sent me a pm chastising me
There's no room or excuse for crap behavour like that and it should be stopped immediately. My advice (which I take no offense if not taken) is to start a thread calling the poster out. If you don't they'll continue this bs behavour. I advise it to everyone who gets a garbage PM to post it in a thread (with a screenshot of it) and call them out. This garbage needs to end and these people should be accountable for hiding behind their keyboards and private messages. Call them out!!!!!!

If you don't want to be called out, don't be an ahole. :)

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can appreciate your feelings on this. After more than a dozen years watching this site chase off the best, most giving and highest talented fly anglers I no longer feel it is possible to help those that still remain. Some good old souls do still remain but even they are rare to post these days. Monopolies have never worked and here is another example of just that in action. We all know how many people went fishing this weekend around our country or globe for that matter and wouldn’t be nice to sip a tea or coffee on Monday morning and peruse through some excellent stories astream and see some good fish and scenery to boot? In between these two clicks was an awesome adventure with multi species, multi fly patterns and techniques. We all live for this sport yet we die holding onto our secrets....17C99299-1BFC-4BF1-8E26-D738275D4FD2.jpegD1E527DA-54E6-43FD-B02D-28D850697666.jpeg

karstopo

Reaction score
Isn’t there twos through nines in this? I guess there could be a spot that is so special and somehow so very undiscovered that you want to hold it to yourself for at least a time. I think about what information I share about particular spots based on a lot of factors. Is it likely already somewhat known, how easy is it to get to, how truly good is it, how accommodating is it to pressure, etc.

I do know of cases where I’ve run into people in “my” secret spot and come to find out it was “their” secret spot. Two independent fishermen, neither relying on any social media or forum to find the spot in question, yet both through independent efforts have located the spot independently and not known anything about the other fisherman except by chance meeting.

Seems like revealing information has a ton of nuance about it, and not a black and white deal.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
Sharing is not a new idea, it’s actually been around since the beginnings of time to help make this a better place and not just for a fee. One of you old kind fellows just sent me a pm chastising me for posting a tidbit about a nice little canyon spot that has some of the most awesome spring fishing you can find if you have what it takes. I know he thinks the more people the worse and not the more people the better. More folks can get a better understanding of what it is and how to best manage it. I am already here, don’t build anymore, Btw this is social media. Learning and teaching go hand in hand with sharing, not just for a fee.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.