Rabbit Super Strips

dcfoster

Reaction score
Hi there, there are some bags of rabbit super strips on for 50% off… I was wanting to tie some Barr’s Meat Whistles and was wondering if this would be a good option? Is there anything different about the super packs? are they non-standard width Or will they be fine for this type of fly and other Zonker ‘s?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WWKimba

Reaction score
Anytime I've seen them they are 1/4" wide so should work OK for most of the size hooks you'd tie the whistle on and since the fly ALWAYS takes a beating I think these strips should work for you.

Kim

dcfoster

Reaction score
Thanks! Related to that, how about Magnum Zonker strips? I just started see these in the shops but I've never seen them on a tying video online. Would those work as well for hooks that are in this range (2, 1, 1/0)? Or are they more for bigger pike flies?

WWKimba

Reaction score
These, too, come in 1/4" widths. As long as you've got 1/4" width stuff (maybe some 3/16ths for your smaller end ties) you are OK. Just find the best price/selection and go for it. It's sort of like asking if you should buy brown eggs or white eggs for your breakfast!

Kim

dcfoster

Reaction score
The egg metaphor is great… I spent a lot of time stressing about it when I guess I shouldn’t have! Thanks I’m gonna go down and grab those 50% off ones.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
DC, I tie a lot with rabbit strips, and frankly have a lot of packaged strips in the various types, and many whole hides too. I've yet to find that I can't use them, regardless of the width, but I do tie some very large flies too, like you mention, Pike size.

If the price is such that you can afford to stock up, don't let it worry you about these differences. I found some one time that were labelled "Texas Magnum" I think it was, that they were in the 1/2" to 3/4" wide range. I tied some with them, but not a lot but the price was very good, so had to try them. I've been tying a long time, so have a reasonably good idea about what various materials can be used for, so it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that an extra wide strip was a material I might devote to some of the bigger flies that I tie.

Sometimes you just have to check these out for yourself, and find out, if you can or will use them. I use strips cut in 3/16 to 1/4" width often, for bass flies and on hooks in the 1/0 to 5/0 size range, so to me, none of the most popular widths are too wide.

ghostrider408

Reaction score
Get em! And then take a pair of sharp scissors and just simply cut them in half. If they're 1/4" then they'll be 1/8" and you'll have twice as much material to work with. I do this a lot when using my steelhead size zonkers (1/4") and cutting them in half lengthwise from the bottom side and using them on my trout sized stuff. Matter of fact when I can find the bigger zonkers I buy them instead of the more expensive pine squirrel zonkers or the smaller rabbit zonkers. Or, alternatively you put a corner of that zonker in your vise and pull it tight and slice em in half with a razor blade. Either way works.

dcfoster

Reaction score
Thanks for another great tip! I was gonna buy a pack of white as well to tie the white death Zonker for steelhead but also wondered if those would be a good choice. That fly is tied on a much smaller hook so the tips on cutting will really help.

ghostrider408

Reaction score
Thanks for another great tip! I was gonna buy a pack of white as well to tie the white death Zonker for steelhead but also wondered if those would be a good choice. That fly is tied on a much smaller hook so the tips on cutting will really help.

Just sent you a PM.

WWKimba

Reaction score
Get em! And then take a pair of sharp scissors and just simply cut them in half. If they're 1/4" then they'll be 1/8" and you'll have twice as much material to work with. I do this a lot when using my steelhead size zonkers (1/4") and cutting them in half lengthwise from the bottom side and using them on my trout sized stuff. Matter of fact when I can find the bigger zonkers I buy them instead of the more expensive pine squirrel zonkers or the smaller rabbit zonkers. Or, alternatively you put a corner of that zonker in your vise and pull it tight and slice em in half with a razor blade. Either way works.
If you are going to cut ANY hide - cut it from the back (hide side). You lose much less hair that way.

Kim

ghostrider408

Reaction score
Kim, exactly! I cut them from the back with as much of the tip of the scissors as I can. A little fur is lost, but not much. Less would be lost by using a razor blade, but I mostly just use scissors. Also taper cut the tail end into a point. It gives the tail a little more action and streamlines the fly.

WWKimba

Reaction score
Kim, exactly! I cut them from the back with as much of the tip of the scissors as I can. A little fur is lost, but not much. Less would be lost by using a razor blade, but I mostly just use scissors. Also taper cut the tail end into a point. It gives the tail a little more action and streamlines the fly.
I agree with the razor blade but I'm too much of a klutz! Was in charge of first aid/CPR programs for the Red Cross for 20+ years and just hate when I have to practice on myself! ;) I end up using a Stanley construction (drywall) knife with a nice big protective handle!

Kim

WWKimba

Reaction score
Yes for sure! For me, over the years, dicing potatoes and onions in the kitchen has resulted in a few cuts and scrambling for the bandaids, lol.
My Grandfather used to put on clambakes. You'd be the guy we would have cut up the 50 pound bag of onions and then put the olives and dill pickles in the enamel pans! A GREAT way to find all those little nicks and cuts!!! :) ;)

Kim

ghostrider408

Reaction score
That's a LOT of onions lol. I've gotten better through the years now since I started tucking my finger tips underneath and out of the way! A clambake sounds good.

WWKimba

Reaction score
When I was going to college (in the late '70's) refrigerators were not allowed in the dorm rooms. My Grandfather would drive up to visit me after a bake and bring 10-20 pounds of hot sausage, 10+ pounds of minute steaks (ones he cut from what, at that time, was called a Spencer Roast (let's see if we have any grey haired meat cutters out there!) which were 1/4" thick steaks cut from that roast - now-a-days the same item would be from a rib-eye roast! Also, cut onions, a half #10 can or so of sliced peppers, a couple packages of hamburger buns (for the steak sandwiches) and a few loaves of French bread - a little bigger around and longer than a baguette and perfect for two pieces of sausage with peppers!

What I'd do is use my old Joe Namath popcorn popper (which were allowed) to cook the sausage, steak, onions and peppers and feed the guys on my floor! Made a LOT of friends that way and got rid of the problem of keeping the stuff!

Kim