Radian cork configuration ?

eastfly66

Reaction score
Why did Scott place the swell on the Radian series so far forward ? I'm sure there must be some reason that eludes me. I have somewhat large hands but nothing that is going to land me in a freak show so I'm sure others have noticed this too. My typical grip is key or thumb on top placing my thumb above the cork with the swell or I have to compress my grip. It's not the end of the world but I'm just wondering ......

dennyk

Reaction score
I know what you are talking about Paul. I have 2 Radians and yes, the grip did take some getting used to. I by far like the grip on the G-Series much better. I'd say I have medium sized hands and tend to favor the lower, or the reel side of the Radian grips. I have no idea how or why Scott came up with this style, it would be interesting to know what the driving force was behind that design. I do really appreciate the quality of cork on my Scott rods.

Denny

eastfly66

Reaction score
Good Morning Denny !

As you can see I'm dealing with the real important issues this morning :) I don't recall any other mfg'er using a configuration like this so I just figured there must be a reason. The only thing similar I can think of is what Hardy did with the Ultralite series and that narrow grip. I can see that thou being similar to what they did with the handles on archery gear years ago ....remember the old Bear and Browning and then the Hoyt, High Country , Mathews and PSE hit the market.

osseous

Reaction score
It is confounding. My hand's hollow is in the center- Pretty sure that's the case with everybody, but they swell the cork right into the base of the index finger!? I would own a lot more Scott rods if they didn't choose to be unique with this bass-ackwards design. They also grind the hell outa the back half of the grip- which compounds the problem.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

timd

Reaction score
I really like the Scott grip. Have it on 2 rods 5 and 6 Radians. I cast with my thumb on top of the grip and my thumb fits perfectly on the forward part of the grip in the indentation. It reminds me of Winston’s old Joan Wulff grips. Of course you can get any grip you want on a Scott Rod from the factory custom shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

eastfly66

Reaction score
Guys , I'm not saying the grip is good or bad. I find it a little odd for my hand sure but it;s not going to ruin my day. I'm just curios why they made such a major change in configuration ?

ryc72

Reaction score
Im with el jefe. I just pick it up and fish it as well as all of the other rods. My hand just finds the most comfortable spot to hold a grip and I fish. I hadn’t noticed anything different about the grip on the radian. Or meridian. Do they have the same grip? Or are they different? There’s only one grip that I don’t love and that’s on a tnt switch rod...shape it’s fine but it’s just too thick but even that after a few minutes I stop noticing. Even my kids echo geckos which I use as a small stream rod I find comfy to fish and cast. Then again I’m usually just so happy to be fishing that I tend not to dwell on things that I can’t control at that point at time. In general though I’m not that particular either.

eastfly66

Reaction score
We have guys here that think about rod balance to a 1/10th of an once and study nano resins ......I thought someone would be able to answer "why" the change. I never give it much thought when fishing but for some reason this morning over coffee I seemed to want to know. The good thing is my attention spam is not very long........

osseous

Reaction score
We have guys here that think about rod balance to a 1/10th of an once and study nano resins ......I thought someone would be able to answer "why" the change. I never give it much thought when fishing but for some reason this morning over coffee I seemed to want to know. The good thing is my attention spam is not very long........
To stand out on the rack at the shop-

srock

Reaction score
I recently purchased a radian 906 and have fished it several times. I fished it and caught trout with it just a few days ago. I did not even notice the cork grip while fishing. I agree though that when I first looked at a radian the cork grip design seemed a bit odd. But, after testing casting I began to like the grip and have found it comfortable. Then, I have smaller hands and this grip feels good for me. For someone with a larger hand I could see where it may not be as comfortable. I tend to dislike fat cigar type grips as not facil in my hand. This does not address what Scott had in mind when it designed the grip originally but my hunch is that whoever designed it had a smaller hand that worked well with this type of grip.

Virgin Cork

Reaction score
To stand out on the rack at the shop-
When playing around with the Radians in the shop, the grip was exactly why I never bought one despite all the glowing reviews. I own several Scott rods and prefer the full wells style of grip, but for some reason the Radian just felt a little thin to me. A few weeks ago, I fished with my brother's 5 wt Radian and was loving it after a few casts. The grip was comfortable and worked for me in the field casting and playing fish. Like others, I never gave it a thought once I started fishing. I liked it enough to pick up a Radian 5 when they were discounted. I have not heard any rumors about how the grip came about or whether its design is integral to the performance of the rod, but in a highly competitive market rod makers are looking for any edge that sells. Maybe the folks at TA have some insight.

srock's take posted while I was getting ready to send and I had a similar take locked and loaded....

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Whether good, bad or otherwise, and whether loved or hated....it is my understanding that Bartschi's focus was to custom design the grip for more positive control while casting:
check out 2:11 on the video.

I'm likewise on the totally neutral fence....I have larger hands and some grips are just flat unusable to me (likely saving me thousands in bamboo rods with 5" grips) the Radian I have found to be one that I don't really have trouble with, works fine, but isn't one that I'd request for a custom build. Don't really have an issue with it one way or another....and don't really know if the design changes anything or not.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
I'm with cooutlaw here,and it's incredible that in 2020 there's no "Size Options" list for composite Cork grips on high end rods.
Many folks have to build up the grip as the majority of factory offerings are still too small,and as everyone knows a "too small" grip is a major contributor to RSI (well anyone who's played tennis anyway ;))
P.S.I prefer Scott grips

dr d

Reaction score
Why did Scott place the swell on the Radian series so far forward ? I'm sure there must be some reason that eludes me. I have somewhat large hands but nothing that is going to land me in a freak show so I'm sure others have noticed this too. My typical grip is key or thumb on top placing my thumb above the cork with the swell or I have to compress my grip. It's not the end of the world but I'm just wondering ......
hi,

i would give the question to akos because he did some hard work

to the grip anatomy.

good luck.

thomas

osseous

Reaction score
I had a Radian- fishing it, the grip never stopped being a hindrance for me. Bulge right at the base of my index finger, and too small around my little finger. Any Centric I fall in love with will have to come out of the custom shopp

Virgin Cork

Reaction score
I'm much more adaptable to lighter wt rods when it comes to grip. When I start swinging a big stick, especially my flats rods, the grip becomes much more critical for enjoyment and performance for a day on the water. I have an 8 wt Winston BIIX that has a grip that I was never comfortable with, it has resided forgotten in a closet for years and is now heading fo the sale bin. Moral of the discussion for me is to try before I buy, preferably live on the water. That Winston was a lawn casting tiger but never panned out in the field, and the Radian never got serious consideration until I used it for a day afield.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I guess I'm in the minority. I like the Radian grip. To me it's sort of like a modified Ritz, and I'm a big fan of Ritz grips. I may not be as particular as some--I'm generally OK with just about any shape, what I don't like are overly fat grips--but I've always been fine with the Radian grips.
I don't own a Radian so I can't pull one out to examine the grip though I do not recall finding it off putting when last I fished Dillon's #6. Style does tend to dominate over ergonomics in rod grips and Charles Ritz's grip style was ergonomically correct, thinner at the rear where your smaller fingers encircle it and thickest in the front for a good foundation to plant your thumb upon. The last graphite rod I recall that employed the out-of-style Ritz grip?; Scott's Heliply series. I applaud the new found popularity of full Wells grips on trout rods joining the long standing dominance of this grip style on saltwater rods. A thank you to Sage followed by Scott for making such grips standard. I will join with others in wishing these rods were available with three different sizes of grip but I'm fortunate that my fairly average medium large hands find most grips about the right size. An overly exaggerated mid grip swell can be uncomfortable but the swell should be forward of center to morph into the thicker forward waist thumb foundation. Steve Rajeff does this very well on his Wells grips and you should see his hands, like bear paws.