Rainbow Trout Pics

johan851

Reaction score
Well, I should follow up my previous post from last week, because I spent some more time in the same spot this morning. Turns out that water does hold some bigger fish. I had heard that 12" was a big fish in this river, but somehow today I managed to hook this 17" beast. Took a second attempt to net it because it didn't really fit.

PXL_20200830_174350873.jpg
PXL_20200830_174739155.jpg

Last edited:

rob bishline

Reaction score
Beautiful pics everyone! Living in Oklahoma I don’t get the opportunity to fish fabled trout waters for wild trout often, but I am still very thankful for my local river that gives me the opportunity for Rainbows within an hour’s drive from my home .

This was from my most recent trip .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Well, I should follow up my previous post from last week, because I spent some more time in the same spot this morning. Turns out that water does hold some bigger fish. I had heard that 12" was a big fish in this river, but somehow today I managed to hook this 17" beast. Took a second attempt to net it because it didn't really fit.

View attachment 25588
View attachment 25590
Hi Johan,

I've seen a lot of trout from all over this continent but that fish has what I will call an unusual appearance. I'll leave it at that, unusual. Nice fish,

Ard

johan851

Reaction score
Hi Johan,

I've seen a lot of trout from all over this continent but that fish has what I will call an unusual appearance. I'll leave it at that, unusual. Nice fish,

Ard
You're right, it was a very strange looking fish. Even stranger in person. About 1/4 of the total length was the massive head. I'm guessing (s)he was an old timer given how outsized it is for that particular fishery. Pretty confident it's a westslope cutthroat (which I didn't know can look quite different from a typical cutthroat) given the coloration, spots, and the jawline that extends past the eye socket. I considered it notable enough to retire the fly, which now joins a couple of other flies from memorable catches on my bookshelf. :)

Here's a smaller westslope cutthroat (I think) caught the same day.
PXL_20200830_171317641.jpg

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I would say that its a male fish but the coloration is what caught my eye. The smaller Cutthroat pictured looks like a cutthroat or rainbow but the larger fish has hues of color that are reminiscent of brown trout. The speckled body reminds me of the rainbows I catch in the interior here but it's colored really strangely. Is there a lot of wetland drainage to the stream that could cause the fish to be colored strangely because of living in a tributary?