Rainbow Trout Pics

wjlapier

Reaction score

I learned something when I caught this fish. Using a egg sucking leech pattern is considered bad by some ( maybe most? ) fly fisherman. I was at a hole that could produce a Steelhead but I was using a nymph for trout--much smaller trout. As I was bringing in this small trout a much larger one was following it and rolling in the water. I tied on the egg sucking leech thinking it might have been a Steelhead and immediately this large trout took it--I've never used this fly before. Biggest rainbow I've taken from this river. I eventually lost the fly in a log jam.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't post many because they tend to look alike in some rivers. I fish a place where the trout are pretty much like small steelhead in size. Always curious that I don't catch many small fish. I'm not a fan of measuring them because it's hard to do if alone but when I have someone with we sometimes check a few so we have an estimate of the lot.

This is the fellow who took the picture for me with a nice one.

That particular fish was quite heavy. They are like the bears building up body fat & weight from May through November because they will have a semi hibernative existence until next May.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I think I am the king of making fish look smaller than they are. It's the hands, the hands are what are huge. the fishes are nice healthy fish that often are right in that 17 inch 2 pound zone but then we have Shrek hold then for the photo op and there it goes :)

That one looks like it still has a Wilkinson Sunray in the net with it and they too are a 3 to 3 1/2 inch long fly, I mention that for a sense of scale like the post above has. I know how you feel, you catch a 2 foot rainbow and when you see the images you're thinking 'where's that big one?'