Rainy Days

Bam Boozelled

Reaction score
Over the past year I have been trying to take my fishing experience to the next level, from picking up my first fly rod, hiking out to location, and going out in freezing temps with snow. Now that spring is starting to roll out I figured I'd go out and try fishing in rain which I had never considered until now. It was a beautiful experience that I look forward to now, and for that area it was a productive day. I always heard fishing in the rain brings a good bite!

trev

Reaction score
Some days rain seems to make the fish bite better, but I have been skunked in the rain too.
I think a light rain focuses the fish attention to the surface, and I'm sure surface disturbance, coupled with the low-light factor of rain, reduces the need for stealth and covers some presentation faults.
Heavier and sustained rain seems to me to put fish down and only bottom dredging works, if anything does.
Just my perception.

MaryLo1987

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
very beautiful photos, and I think on rainy days fishing is better, at least with my husband. Although I do not know what explains it, maybe it's just my opinion. Do you have the same?

Virgin Cork

Reaction score
Until I retire, my fishing days are too few and too far between to sacrifice for weather. The only thing that runs me off the water is a lightning storm. I've had some miserable days in the weather and some spectacular fishing as well. I find the fishing for many species to be much better on a rainy warm front when fish seem to be triggered to feed than a temp dropping cold front. One of my best trout days ever was years ago on Henry's Fork in an early June snow storm.

dswice

Reaction score
very beautiful photos, and I think on rainy days fishing is better, at least with my husband. Although I do not know what explains it, maybe it's just my opinion. Do you have the same?
Hi MaryLo1987 - just wanted to welcome you and your husband to the Forum family. We are glad you found us and look forward to your forum contributions. (And I agree that rainy days sometimes make the fishing better.)