Rate your casting

karlsson

Reaction score
Curious about the entire set up. Rod/reel/SA MED/leader/and I assume fairly generic fluff.

Is a setup like this strictly your field/distance/practice setup?

I bought a saltwater capable 7 wt as my practice rod but have just started using it for little shrimp flies. I’m curious to know what the better/best casters have for the lawn.
Rod Sage TCX 690, reel loop graphite, line MED 5 weight, leader hometied from old shootinglines and yeah, a piece of acryllic wool for fluff.

That was my 5 weight comp/practice setup for years. Double as my go to demo kit for shows and mentoring instructors.

Rod and line also used for fishing, leader changed for obvious reasons then 😊

Generally, I practice with what I fish with, unless its something particular that needs tweaking, like carry, that needs a DT or a longbelly WF. And it's amazing how things like that have a knock on effect for other gear. If I can carry 75 feet of DT/LBWF with control, any 50 feet head line or shorter is a breeze, even if its a higher class. And that makes fishing so much more fun.

Cheers
Lasse

Acheron

Reaction score

Nondominant hand challenge was 3 out of 5 casts should hit inside the ring that was placed at 100 feet. Line I used was a 5 weight scientific anglers mastery expert distance.

Cheers
Lasse
Outcasting, with extreme accuracy, 99% of people, with your opposite hand...wow!! Very cool! Thank you for posting this :)

Last edited:

jjcm

Reaction score
The two hander is another story , that get's me pissed too. I only get to use it in steelhead season and by the time it ends I'm feeling pretty good about my basic cast but then I don't use it again for a year. So , every fall for at least a few weeks I'm pissed off at my casting which only makes things worse ! The madder I get the harder I try and really f**&k things up. Maybe I need to take up smoking pot or eating those gummy bears and chill out.
I feel the same way about this. With single hand rods, I can walk into the back yard after work every day and throw some fly casts. Practicing with a two hander just doesn't feel the same when there is no water for a sustained anchor. I feel like I forgot whatever little I knew when the fall run begins... The spey rods are fun for sure, but do come with an element of frustration.