Recent 5W Reel Shootout

dipaoro

Reaction score
I have read a few older Reel shootouts but where can I find one for 2019 or 2018?

Been seeking the perfect reel for my G Loomis NRX LP 5W.

I am very close to the final decision but want to do more research.

Much appreciated!

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have read a few older Reel shootouts but where can I find one for 2019 or 2018?

Been seeking the perfect reel for my G Loomis NRX LP 5W.

I am very close to the final decision but want to do more research.

Much appreciated!
What are your finalists and how much do you want to spend?

dipaoro

Reaction score
What are your finalists and how much do you want to spend?
I am leaning towards the Ross Evo LTX 5/6 @$399 minus $75 credit for line and no tax.

Just wanted to read about all of the reels some more before pulling the trigger.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Good choice. Really, it the Hatch 4+ and Nautilus Xm and a few others are the most harmonies matches. RIO Gold.

burk48237

Reaction score
Old School for me, mid 70's Hardy Marquis 6 with a Rio gold 5 on it. That reel has handled some big AK bows and I have nothing but confidence in it.

thomasw

Reaction score
As one who uses his old Hardy reels for most trout and steelhead pursuits, there are not many other reels that I trust as much; yet both the Ross and Danielsson series reels I own are built well and have functioned perfectly for years, so I recommend them highly.

baconcrusader

Reaction score
Lamson Lightspeed 2.0 with Rio IT Gold on mine [NRX LP 5wt]. Balances two-fingers-down from the top of the cork with 10' of line out. Love this set-up!

okiekev

Reaction score
BTW, have you considered the very manly looking 2018 Ross Gunnison? It is rugged in matte black and it comes in the 5/6, too.
Not to derail this thread, but I am curious as to what makes a reel “manly” looking? Granted matte black looks more rugged than say the pink or purple colors from companies such as Nautilus or Abel... but what else contributes to a reel’s manliness? Is it the logo, spool design, color, size, etc? I am not poking fun, but genuinely interested in this opinion, this could be interesting.

thomasw

Reaction score
Not to derail this thread ... but what else contributes to a reel’s manliness? Is it the logo, spool design, color, size, etc?
Likely no one else beside okiekev and myself has much interest in this topic, so I will be extremely brief so as to not derail the main intent of the thread.

This topic of manly reels is near and dear to my heart. Ruggedness and durability and fitness for the task are components -- but one can find the latter two traits even on a pink reel. So traditional muted colour tones that are not meant to draw attention for its own sake are another component. So the Tibor reels with purple and lime are fun and very eye-catching, but are not manly in this sense. Counter to the current trend toward making reels as light as possible, I do associate a manly reel as having a bit of solidity and even a bit of heft. The sleek design of certain reels gives way to a certain kind of manliness which I will call 'the elegant gentleman' design; this kind of reel is best likened to a man in his tuxedo, as it is indeed a portrait of an elegant man who looks fancy and knows it and is very satisfied and confident: it is for sure a type of manly reel, though perhaps not the pinnacle. However in the case of the 2018 Gunnison, it is more an example of a certain kind of manliness I will call 'the lumberjack chic' reel design and it fits with a portrait of a man in comfort clothing like a flannel shirt and toque etc.; this type of reel design is manly in the sense of being satisfied and content but not explicitly or even subtly looking for external validation through any 'blingy' aspects. Lastly there is the issue of manly reel sounds... but this requires more thought and careful consideration. Undoubtedly most of us reason that trout are indifferent to reel sounds, and that may be, yet fly fishers are not and this fact merits much, much further investigation and experimentation and close study. For example, can a quiet reel be manly? If not, what about a reel which makes sound retrieving but not outgoing? Is it only 1/2 manly?

So okiekev as you can see this is a vast, largely uninvestigated topic on reels that does indeed have perplexing aspects. Some even deride the topic claiming it has little to do with fooling fish... but do not be deceived, it has a lot to do with those who do strive to deceive the fish and therefore much to do with fooling fish, even if somewhat indirectly. But all this requires way, way more careful consideration.

That will do for here.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Wow I never thought about reels in this image light. I do like reliable durability and muted often black and matte over shiny reels but this is a performance and stealth aesthetic not "manly". But I confess I like a large thick handle and a big easily gripped drag knob (that does not protrude too much though). I will not fish a loud reel, a clean click is fine as long as it is subdued, for my ears only. A good buddy loves his Hardy Perfect. I hate it when he hooks a good one across the river, every fly fisher anywhere can hear the darn thing screaming. I'm not one for whooping and hollering on the river.

okiekev

Reaction score
Great post Thomasw! While I do believe I select a reel based primarily on performance, I agree there is a large part of that selection process that may be based on immeasurable attributes that simply appeal to my senses. You have verbalized some very interesting, subjective points that I think enter everyone’s mind as we select gear! Nicely done.