Recommendations on 3wt Blank

mike126

Reaction score
I'm looking to build a 3wt rod for smaller creeks and streams that I fish in the mid-Atlantic region. So far I have cast an Orvis Superfine graphite and really liked the moderate action for smaller flies. I think it was the 7'6". Unfortunately you can't get the Orvis blanks and the Superfine graphite was discontinued this year. My next option was a Sage LL. I have not cast that rod so I don't know if it has a similar feel to the Superfine. I like working with Sage blanks as they already mark the spine and provide pretty good information on spacing etc. My other option was to look at a TFO Finesse blank or the CTS Affinity M. Any recommendations or feedback on how these blanks feel or others I should consider?

TristianSutton

Reaction score
I'd look at the offerings from proof fly fishing I've bought his blanks before and enjoyed them

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

motts

Reaction score
I built my wife a 7'6" 3wt on a MHX blank from Mudhole and was very pleasantly surprised with how it handles. I also built her an 8'6" 3wt on a Rainshadow Revelation blank that is even better - I don't doubt that the 7'6" model would be just as nice. I got the Rainshadow on ebay from a guy that looked like he bought out all a closing shops inventory and the price was very good; I don't recall whether the had the 7'6" though.

Graybeard

Reaction score
I just finished building an Affinity X 4 weight and absolutely love it, my favorite rod so far. Unfortunately they do not make a M 3 weight in a 7'6" version but they do make an 8' version. they do offer a 7'6" in their Quartz fiberglass.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
Mark at RDP fly rods in Mo has some nice blanks and kits . I built 3 of them , two 1wts and an 0 wt . All 7'6" and I really like them .

mike126

Reaction score
I just finished building an Affinity X 4 weight and absolutely love it, my favorite rod so far. Unfortunately they do not make a M 3 weight in a 7'6" version but they do make an 8' version. they do offer a 7'6" in their Quartz fiberglass.
I'm looking hard at the Affinity M in an 8' 3wt. That would work fine for me. Just curious what finish did you get? I was thinking of the sanded carbon blank, nothing fancy just plain.

Graybeard

Reaction score
Sorry I got back to late but I have been out of town. I got the Clear finish it is lighter than the painted ones but not like the P2000 finish. It just looks like the raw carbon. If you get the P2000 finish just wax it after it is all built, that is what I was told to do if I got that finish. I got my blank from Herb Ladenheim, he was very helpful.

dr d

Reaction score
I'm looking hard at the Affinity M in an 8' 3wt. That would work fine for me. Just curious what finish did you get? I was thinking of the sanded carbon blank, nothing fancy just plain.
hi mike,

i did a test of a custom affinity m 8,6 #4 in forum --- with this i see actual no need of a new #3 and

my #3 - quiver is considerable(stickman p3, zenith,sage x,zephrus,cts afiinity vintage,...).

i does all imho what it needs.

good luck and nice we.

thomas

Max L

Reaction score
I bought a sage dart earlier this year and it is by far my favorite little rod. has crushed the panfish this summer and bass up to 16"
the bass were not on purpose, but the outfit handled them
can throw some real distance with it if required, or it is great up close

mike126

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I ended up going with the CTS Affinity M in a 3wt 8'6". I hope to start the build next month.

Graybeard - I ordered my blank from Herb as well. He was very helpful. I ended up with the P2000 finish which from what I understand looks similar to the older Loomis GLX rods.