Recommendations on 3wt Blank

mike126

Reaction score
I'm looking to build a 3wt rod for smaller creeks and streams that I fish in the mid-Atlantic region. So far I have cast an Orvis Superfine graphite and really liked the moderate action for smaller flies. I think it was the 7'6". Unfortunately you can't get the Orvis blanks and the Superfine graphite was discontinued this year. My next option was a Sage LL. I have not cast that rod so I don't know if it has a similar feel to the Superfine. I like working with Sage blanks as they already mark the spine and provide pretty good information on spacing etc. My other option was to look at a TFO Finesse blank or the CTS Affinity M. Any recommendations or feedback on how these blanks feel or others I should consider?

TristianSutton

Reaction score
I'd look at the offerings from proof fly fishing I've bought his blanks before and enjoyed them

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

motts

Reaction score
I built my wife a 7'6" 3wt on a MHX blank from Mudhole and was very pleasantly surprised with how it handles. I also built her an 8'6" 3wt on a Rainshadow Revelation blank that is even better - I don't doubt that the 7'6" model would be just as nice. I got the Rainshadow on ebay from a guy that looked like he bought out all a closing shops inventory and the price was very good; I don't recall whether the had the 7'6" though.

Graybeard

Reaction score
I just finished building an Affinity X 4 weight and absolutely love it, my favorite rod so far. Unfortunately they do not make a M 3 weight in a 7'6" version but they do make an 8' version. they do offer a 7'6" in their Quartz fiberglass.