Recommendations on a small travel camera?

ts47

Reaction score
Thanks
There is a plate that screws into the tripod mount on the base of the camera and the connection “rotates” in a similar manner to the mount for a GoPro, and locks into place securely with a screw connection. Not sure if you can see the mount in this photo but, this is how it sits on my vest. I’ll see if I can find a better photo, if you need it. I hope that helps!

View attachment 33474
Thanks Wallace!

I appreciate the effort you went to and your sharing the photo. I also see the clip and do not need another photo. At least I don't think you do.

Your prior post suggested the camera lens faced forward and recorded while you were floating down the river. Since the clip attaches to the bottom of the camera, I couldn't understand how the lens would face forward without you somehow holding the camera. In the above pic, it looks like the lens would face down. Did I misunderstand your prior post - or am I just confused?

EDIT: Nice fish by the way! (y)

iv_wjb

Reaction score
No problem Todd... Glad to be of help.

Like you, I'm a long-time Nikon guy and have been happy with their service (when required) and overall reliability and performance. I did consider the Olympus but, did not see any reason to go there when the Nikon did all I needed or wanted. The Coolpix has been from the top of mountains in Montana skiing, underwater in the hot springs and the cold Atlantic ocean... It's never failed and is a great grab and go camera that the kids and my wife don't hesitate to use. This means, that I don't have to lug-around a DSLR and a bunch of heavy lenses that only I have the strength or knowledge to use. Therefore, I end-up in more photos (which is a blessing or a curse, depending on your perspective). The way I look at it, it's a tool to capture moments and provide memories. This does it all, and I don't care if it fails in the line of duty... It's (relatively) disposable.

Here's a better photo of how the camera sits in it's mount on a vest or backpack strap... Very handy when fishing, skiing or biking.

DSCN0569.jpg

Here's a worse photo but, better illustrative of the mount:

DSCN1075.jpg

Hope that helps... If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to let me know!

IMG_5152.jpg

ts47

Reaction score
No problem Todd... Glad to be of help.

Like you, I'm a long-time Nikon guy and have been happy with their service (when required) and overall reliability and performance. I did consider the Olympus but, did not see any reason to go there when the Nikon did all I needed or wanted. The Coolpix has been from the top of mountains in Montana skiing, underwater in the hot springs and the cold Atlantic ocean... It's never failed and is a great grab and go camera that the kids and my wife don't hesitate to use. This means, that I don't have to lug-around a DSLR and a bunch of heavy lenses that only I have the strength or knowledge to use. Therefore, I end-up in more photos (which is a blessing or a curse, depending on your perspective). The way I look at it, it's a tool to capture moments and provide memories. This does it all, and I don't care if it fails in the line of duty... It's (relatively) disposable.

Here's a better photo of how the camera sits in it's mount on a vest or backpack strap... Very handy when fishing, skiing or biking.

View attachment 33489

Here's a worse photo but, better illustrative of the mount:

View attachment 33490

Hope that helps... If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to let me know!

View attachment 33491
Wow, Thanks Wallace!

I really appreciate all the help. That really is a neat setup you've got there. I couldn't imagine how it would sit in that mount and still be useable. Those photos make it make much more sense. Thanks again, and those are some beautiful fish you've got there! (y)

teledan

Reaction score
Back to the topic of cell phones, I had one of these cases for one of my older iPhones.

Looks like they have stopped production on these but I thought it was an awesome product. It had different lenses you could attach to it. I even 3d printed an adapter for it so I could use it with GoPro mounts. Maybe there is something else like it out there?

JoJer

Reaction score
While reading here, I was googling pix of the models mentioned and prices. Saw a black aw100 for $235 @ appliance palace.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Wow, Thanks Wallace!

I really appreciate all the help. That really is a neat setup you've got there. I couldn't imagine how it would sit in that mount and still be useable. Those photos make it make much more sense. Thanks again, and those are some beautiful fish you've got there! (y)
No problem Todd... Glad to be of some help. Good luck with your purchase & have a fantastic trip!!

SerialNumber

Reaction score
I'm glad to find this thread. I've had my cell phone in a waterproof case, in my chest pack on a lanyard. Sick of it, though. Buttons are tough to hit, and the picture quality is quite bad (cheap phone). I think I'll be buying a camera before the year is through.

No one has mentioned the Ricoh WG- series. I was looking at those at one point. Any reason not to consider them? And BTW great illustrative pictures, Wallace.

I usually fish alone and like to take pics to share my adventures with my family. It would be cool to have a little remote or something to snap pics. It's as much a matter of technique, I guess, but I find taking photos quite hard when I'm fishing, and that's as a person who generally enjoys photography.

EDIT: It would be interesting to hear how easy and quick these various models are to whip out, turn on, and shoot a picture with. With fish in the net especially, time is of the essence, and I know with my old Panasonic Lumix, it takes way too long for it to turn on, open its shutter, and extend its lens. For me, this time pressure magnifies any slight annoyance with a camera's interface and usability.

Last edited:

MCHammer

Reaction score
It would be interesting to hear how easy and quick these various models are to whip out, turn on, and shoot a picture with. With fish in the net especially, time is of the essence, and I know with my old Panasonic Lumix, it takes way too long for it to turn on, open its shutter, and extend its lens. For me, this time pressure magnifies any slight annoyance with a camera's interface and usability.
The Olympus TG-850 turns on quite fast. I haven't timed it, but I would say one second or so. There's no lens protector to move out of the way at start-up, which didn't impress me at first but it hasn't been an issue so far. My older Olympus TG did have a lens protector, and I thought a "tough" camera should have one. They are no longer made, but can be found on ebay.

RichTheTall

Reaction score
Can you give me any feel on how good the macro feature is on the TG-6? Would it take a really sharp and clear photo of something like a fly you just tied?
OI000075-02.jpeg
A DHS I tied taken with TG-6 and FD-1 flash diffuser (fantastic add-on for the camera)
Considerably downsized for the Forum, obvs.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
It would be cool to have a little remote or something to snap pics. It's as much a matter of technique, I guess, but I find taking photos quite hard when I'm fishing, and that's as a person who generally enjoys photography.
If I’m not mistaken, the Coolpix has a remote shutter function via the app on your connected device. I’ve never used it as I imagine having to take out my phone to take a photo with my camera is too cumbersome and practically ineffective. You may find it more appropriate to your situation. Worth looking into.

SerialNumber

Reaction score
...the Coolpix has a remote shutter function via the app on your connected device...
I agree in that it kind of puts you back at square one! :D I just thought, though, maybe pre-setting a camera to stay on burst and short timer mode would be a solution, in lieu of a remote? It would make it easier to simply hold it out at "selfie" length and focus on the fish and composition, without worrying about hitting a button. The act of depressing the shutter button, at least on the lower-shutter-speed cameras I've had, often generates enough shake to blur the image.

I've been reading this, which has a nice side-by-side comparison, as well as detailed, practical reviews:

Thanks Todd for getting this thread started. Whatever camera I get is going to be a quantum leap over my cell phone.

Acheron

Reaction score
It would be cool to have a little remote or something to snap pics. It's as much a matter of technique, I guess, but I find taking photos quite hard when I'm fishing, and that's as a person who generally enjoys photography.
Smart phone + smart watch = remote controlled camera. Add a timer delay to the take and you could even get "hero shots" (I think I'm using that correctly) if you try :)

I have never used it fishing because I like to take pics of the fish in the net or as it swims out of the net a lot of times. However, when I've used my watch in other situaions I completely feel like James Bond!! :D

Anways, back to the streamside pictures...the pain would be having the camera setup on the riverside in a place that's easy to access, get the pic, and get a quick/safe release all while keeping the fish wet and breathing. The best way to accomplish this would be to have the camera setup and zoomed in on a spot where you can stand in the water, fish in the net in the water, press the button on your watch, then stand up and get the pic, lean down and release. Seems doable but also a pain, especially if you catch fish outside of your camera shot area.

ts47

Reaction score
I agree in that it kind of puts you back at square one! :D I just thought, though, maybe pre-setting a camera to stay on burst and short timer mode would be a solution, in lieu of a remote? It would make it easier to simply hold it out at "selfie" length and focus on the fish and composition, without worrying about hitting a button. The act of depressing the shutter button, at least on the lower-shutter-speed cameras I've had, often generates enough shake to blur the image.

I've been reading this, which has a nice side-by-side comparison, as well as detailed, practical reviews:

Thanks Todd for getting this thread started. Whatever camera I get is going to be a quantum leap over my cell phone.
You‘re welcome! It’s good to see that I’m not the only person over analyzing a camera purchase. 😀 These things are tools, just like our fly fishing gear. My thinking is that a waterproof camera would just be too much fun not to own. (y)