Recommended line for Steffen fly rod

jayr

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for an 8’ 3/4 weight rod ( Thanks Steve). This rod will be primarily used on GSMNP bluelines and WNC bluelines. Casts will be short and primarily using dry dropper rigs.

I know the 406 lines are recommended, any others? I would like to stay with a DT line, but would you go with a 4 or 3 weight DT?

Thanks!

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I used to have that rod. I preferred it as a 4, as I believe most, but not all, do.

As to which line, it's been many years now since I sold it and so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but my recollection is that I liked it best with a 406 DT. I thought it also handled a Peach quite well.

johan851

Reaction score
I had the 7'9" 3/4 for a bit and would recommend a 4wt line as well. I wouldn't want to go lighter than a true to weight 4.

406 DT or Peach, as WNC said. The tapers of those two are fairly similar. There are of course other options, but both of those lines are relatively inexpensive and high quality.

Last edited:

flafly14

Reaction score
I have the 7'3" #3/4 Steffen. I've got a Terenzio DT #4 on it. Works well. I would buy Terenzio again.

Acheron

Reaction score
Blue Halo DT is an inexpensive option which gets good reviews. I have not stream casted it but playing with it outside, it sure felt like I had a lot better line control with it than with RIO Premier Technical Trout which is more than twice the cost. Couple more weeks and I'll have some water to put the Blue Halo to the test, out of the box it appears much better (feels better, easier to manipulate, feels lighter, etc.) than the RIO.