Reconditioning/preserving an old net - seeking advice

frickerdog

Reaction score
I bought this no-frills net at a garage sale last spring and have used it extensively. I love it because it is extraordinarily light, but notice that the color is fading and there is some separation in the wood layers. What would be your advice on how to extend the life of this one? Note that I already replaced the netting after initial purchase.

Attachments

jayr

Reaction score
Take it apart, sand it, apply glue to the separated areas and use clamps. When dry apply spar varnish. Place net and handle back on, done.

peterk1234

Reaction score
Take it apart, sand it, apply glue to the separated areas and use clamps. When dry apply spar varnish. Place net and handle back on, done.
This right here. I find that gorilla glue can work quite well for a project like this because it flows well so it will get into the nooks and crannies. It also expands, kind of like foam, further ensuring it will get everywhere. Clamp it snug, let it dry shave off the gorilla glue foam that came out out. then spar varnish. I like the water base stuff though because it dries quick and its easy to cleanup. It wears just fine. I built a kayak and used the water base on it. Lasted fifteen years.

jayr

Reaction score
Coat #1 of spar has been applied. I decided not to remove the grip and work around it. I may replace it at some point at which time I will coat the handle separately. Out of curiousity, I weighed the net frame at roughly 9 Oz.
Lightly sand between coats, in case you didn't know.

frickerdog

Reaction score
Lightly sand between coats, in case you didn't know.
Thank you for the reminder. I am hoping that 3 coats does the trick since low overnight temps (mid-to-upper 50s) for the next few days may mean that I can get some trout fishing in early Sunday morning.

USGS temperature gauge was at 66.7 at 8:00 this morning on the good trout stream that is roughly an hour from me. I haven't fished there in about a month. I am hopeful that water temps will be around 64 by Sunday based on my read of these gauges. Also, the USGS gauge is downstream from where I go to fish, so water temp upstream is usually a few degrees lower.

On my bluegill stream this morning, I spotted a trout! I had to intentionally avoid catching it given water temps in the upper 70s. It must have been a holdover from spring stocking...pretty amazing given the temps, the snapping turtles and the herons that frequent the area.