Redfish Pics

dylar

Reaction score

A friend who guides out of Charleston called me up Wednesday night and told me his Friday charter had bailed, and wanted to know if I was down for some salty critters. I haven't been down to the coast in months, so I leapt at the chance.

I slipped down Thursday evening, checked into a hotel, and met another old friend for dinner. On the way out the door, I saw myself in the mirror. Usually, that still makes me feel a little twinge of sadness, but for once, I looked in the glass and saw something that didn't make me want to look away.

The weatherman had been promising good, glassy conditions. The plan in the morning was to run offshore to a few artificial reefs, tease up some amberjack and tug on a few of those bad boys. Alas, the weatherman was full of it, and we found too much chop to make the long run in a bay boat. We called an audible and chased birds just off the beaches after bull redfish. Success was attained. They are handsome fish. This one was the handsomest of all.

Cheers y'all!

Claire

Txbart

Reaction score
Not caught on a fly but I wanted to share this lure caught red fish. Something over 44” and weighed 37 1/2 pounds. Caught her outside the jetties at Port O’Connor, TX a couple years ago. Thought I snagged a junk tire or big stingray. Flies only for my future trips there!

968B9A00-FA9B-43DD-879C-2203CEDA2C6A.jpg

J

joe_strummer

Here's one caught in Estero Bay a couple weeks ago. Not the biggest one I found, but representative.

estero bay red.jpg

lacivic99

Reaction score
20200126_first red tail.jpg20200126_first red.jpg

Caught a handful of reds on Sunday to inaugurate the new year. Cold morning with a pretty stiff north wind, so I began by fishing deeper channel edges. Saw a bunch of fish but they weren't taking. It was tough to fish slow enough with the wind blowing my boat around and no anchor/waders. By early afternoon, the water really warmed up along the shallow northern shorelines, protected from the wind and warmed by the sun.

I saw a few massive trout stalking schools of finger mullet in a few inches of water. Never really got a good shot at one, but that's the one fish I've been after for many years now. To sight fish a gator would be the pinnacle of fly-fishing in my area.

okaloosa

Reaction score
My guide friend Tom Campbell of Destiny Unbound Angling sent me this photo of this 32 lb redfish caught on a fly in Louisiana on his boat. Sight fishing in shallow water. 2 strips and they watched the hog slam the fly.

22942.jpg

karstopo

Reaction score

No bull reds yesterday in the Freeport marsh, but these 5 pound fish run around and do some hard fighting in 12-18” of water, with the oyster reefs complicating matters. Lost another pretty multi-spot mid-slot when it powered between my stake out stick and the kayak. Good thing I was using a fiberglass rod as it bent double trying to wrestle the fish from under the kayak and between the stick. That fish won the war when it bent open the hook after the leader got wrapped around some clump of reef. Other reds and one speckled trout came to hand, though.

I’m definitely on a pattern for the last three outings. Post front, 60 something degree sunny days, fish are coming up to warm up and feed on the shallow sun exposed warmed mud/shell mix. Pattern might hold another 2-3 weeks if history repeats itself.

okaloosa

Reaction score

No bull reds yesterday in the Freeport marsh, but these 5 pound fish run around and do some hard fighting in 12-18” of water, with the oyster reefs complicating matters. Lost another pretty multi-spot mid-slot when it powered between my stake out stick and the kayak. Good thing I was using a fiberglass rod as it bent double trying to wrestle the fish from under the kayak and between the stick. That fish won the war when it bent open the hook after the leader got wrapped around some clump of reef. Other reds and one speckled trout came to hand, though.

I’m definitely on a pattern for the last three outings. Post front, 60 something degree sunny days, fish are coming up to warm up and feed on the shallow sun exposed warmed mud/shell mix. Pattern might hold another 2-3 weeks if history repeats itself.
awesome colors on that fish...blue, silver, copper...gorgeous

Prof. Salt

Reaction score
When fishing solo it's difficult to get interesting photos, but this red loved the EP fly I tied!

brooktrout21

Reaction score
This thread gets me excited to move back to the mainland! It’s been a LONG time since I caught a redfish!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk