Redington butterstick

LOC

Reaction score
Butter stick is one of the slower rods of the new breed of glass rods. For some that may be a great fit for the experience they are looking for and others it may not fit their needs at all.

proheli

Reaction score
My local shop has a 602. I always like to give it a wiggle. I think it would be fun in the right small water. I thought the 764 was a little noodly, but I’ve read reports that people really like fishing it.

LePetomane

Reaction score
I don't own one but I did fish one a while back that belonged to a friend. The rod was very slow to unload on the forward cast. It didn't feel like it had a lot of backbone. Not for me.

redietz

Reaction score
I've got the 8' 5 weight. The second generation (the white ones) are faster than the original. It casts great; I have no problem hitting a 60 foot target. It also roll casts quite well.

The only down side is that I have a problem hooking fish and keeping them hooked. Something about the action doesn't suit (for me) hooking fish that either down stream or up. I've had a few rods that have problems in one direction or another, but this is only where it doesn't matter. Out of a hundred or so grabs over seven or eight trips, I hooked maybe a dozen fish and landed only five. I'm sure operator error accounts for some of that, but I've lost confidence in the rod.

trev

Reaction score
Someone likes every rod being sold otherwise they wouldn't be made. You won't know what you like until you're on your 4th or 5th rod.
The negative comments above sound almost exactly like Redington's sales hype "Built using T-Glass construction on our Heritage Taper, the BUTTER STICK is a slow action glass rod that will delicately present a fly even in the tightest of places. The retro cosmetics and slower action will make every day feel like throwback Thursday. "
If you want moderate, moderate fast or fast it should be obvious that a rod designed to be slow even for fiberglass won't fit your style. I like my 'glass a bit on the faster side and I don't have any that would compare favorably with a rebar for stiffness. I've never even seen a 'glass rod that I would call Fast when compared with high modulus graphite.
I have never used a Butter Stick, so can't give an evaluation, but I'd bet it works, or they would not still be making them. Slow rods put the cast on user control.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I have the Butterstick in a 6'2" 2wt and used for it's intended purpose to deliver a feather like dry fly presentation in small streams it does a very good job. Definitely a rod you do not want to have an over weight line on as the action gets dampened. If you buy one get a line that is true to weight class. I actually think the Butterstick 7'6" 3wt is an awesome rod for it's purpose also, although I have a 7'6" Payne 100 taper bamboo rod in 4wt that is that takes that place in my quiver. I bought the 6'2" 2wt to replace a 6' 2wt fiberglass rod I had for 30+ years that I had finally managed to break by mistake. The 2wt model is a blast with small native trout. Oh and setup properly it is definitely not a wet noodle.

old timer

Reaction score
If you want to try a soft glass rod to see if you like it. Try the Cabelas CGR glass rod. Really cheap, so you won't be hurt too much if you don't like it.

For what they want for the Butterstick you can buy 4 CGR's.