Reel Issue

arouse

Reaction score
I took apart my fly reel due to a line issue and when I put it back together it gets stuck when I spin it. The weird thing is this only occurs when the spring and the washer-like piece are in, when I take them out it spins fine but the reel obviously comes apart because the spring and other piece aren’t in. Does anybody know how to fix this.
I have a vintage Cortland Crown II reel.9FA2B425-62B9-46E9-9136-382A282601F1.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

Nonno

Very Jaded Member
Reaction score
Try to post some pictures of your reel. Be thorough, show the parts.
Check the drag tension knob to determine if it is set to minimum drag.

Daz

Reaction score
Are the spring and the "washer-like piece" on the spool or inside the reel? I can't quite picture what parts you're referring to. A picture or two would definitely help.

I was thinking that the Crown 2 is the same as the old Martin 65 but red instead of black - A clicker with no drag?

arouse

Reaction score
Are the spring and the "washer-like piece" on the spool or inside the reel? I can't quite picture what parts you're referring to. A picture or two would definitely help.

I was thinking that the Crown 2 is the same as the old Martin 65 but red instead of black - A clicker with no drag?

Attachments

arouse

Reaction score
When that silver piece and spring are out the reel turns fine but when I put them back in it gets stuck when I turn it

Nonno

Very Jaded Member
Reaction score
That is the spool release. It keeps the spool on.
When you leave that piece out does the spool stay on the reel?

Nonno

Very Jaded Member
Reaction score
Post a pic of the reel frame with the spool out, and a pic of the back side of the spool.

trev

Reaction score
Is the latch (cupped) bent down where it contacts the spindle or is that just wear? I think it should be flat and smoth, and that any deformity might cause misalignment or binding. Mind you I don't have any Crown reels and that thought is based on other reels.

flytie09

Reaction score
Take the spool latch assembly apart again and take that little piece and spring out. Clean the groove on the spindle that that little piece catches on. Blow it out with canned air and a wooden toothpick. Get all the gunk out. When you put it back together….. add a bit of grease to the piece and the groove it rides in. Oil if that’s all you got and try that. Grease will last longer.

Let us know if that works.

Daz

Reaction score
Take the spool latch assembly apart again and take that little piece and spring out. Clean the groove on the spindle that that little piece catches on. Blow it out with canned air and a wooden toothpick. Get all the gunk out. When you put it back together….. add a bit of grease to the piece and the groove it rides in. Oil if that’s all you got and try that. Grease will last longer.

What flytie said, PLUS I'd also recommend running a Q-tip up and down the center of the spool to clean any gunk out of that passage and lubricate it before putting the spool back on. There may be a small bit of gunk that's binding when the latch is engaged.

Southerncaster

Reaction score
Looking at the photos, my first thought was that the end of the spool shaft looks as if it could be a bit high and is, for some reason, pressing against the latch plate --as Trev suggested.

Check underneath the spool to see if it is seated properly or if something is pushing it upwards a bit.

Photos of the inside of the side plate and back of spool would be helpful.

Last edited:

arouse

Reaction score

Ok I will try that, thank you all for responding

Southerncaster

Reaction score
Years ago my 1st Marquis 6 sounded and felt like the spool rim was rubbing on the cage rim. I was convinced that was the problem and kept tweeking the areas with sandpaper where I thought it was rubbing. For a long time I just couldn't figure out the problem --until I completely cleaned the reel and lubed the spindle & spindle base... then the problem completely disappeared. Duh!

arouse

Reaction score
Did you get this resolved?
I cleaned the spool very well and got out all the gunk but the issue is still there. I still have to grease it so maybe that will do the trick. But if that doesn’t work I don’t know what to do. Does anyone know of a place that fixes fly reels? Orvis maybe?

jayr

Reaction score
I cleaned the spool very well and got out all the gunk but the issue is still there. I still have to grease it so maybe that will do the trick. But if that doesn’t work I don’t know what to do. Does anyone know of a place that fixes fly reels? Orvis maybe?
I seriously doubt Orvis would or would want to fix another makers reel.

Check the latch for any small burrs or deformities. Thoroughly clean, and I mean scrub with an old tooth brush all the built up gunk, etc. inside the spool raceway. Pipe cleaners work well too. Blow it out with compressed air and lightly lube with oil or grease and I mean lightly.

Also check inside the cap that retains the latch and spring. See if there is any dirt/gunk build up inside it and it not allowing the latch to fully seat when assembled.

ETA: It also appears your reel has been repainted. At least it looks like it to me. Check the raceway the latch sits inside of and smooth out any raised areas/thickened paint/etc. Once the screws are tightened on the cap it could be binding the latch.

Last edited:

knotjoe

Reaction score
I still have to grease it so maybe that will do the trick. But if that doesn’t work I don’t know what to do.
Junk it and by another reel, that's what you do. Not what you want to hear, but if you're having problems with it now it's not going to get any better when you're 3 miles upstream and trying to fish with it.

The latch? Yeah, it's very worn and to the point of having a long bevel to the edge against the spindle/catch. Probably some wear on the parts contacting area as well. They don't last forever and that one served it's owner for many years.

trev

Reaction score
Is the latch (cupped) bent down where it contacts the spindle or is that just wear? I think it should be flat and smoth, and that any deformity might cause misalignment or binding. Mind you I don't have any Crown reels and that thought is based on other reels.
Did you flatten the latch with a hammer and then debur it" ?
i wouldn't put much more time and effort into that reel, so far it's been a learning opportunity, but you've had that fun and now is a good time to either live with it as only used for line storage, or upgrade it.