Reel Issue

Daz

Reaction score
I'd do what Jayr suggests, and if that doesn't do it I'd call it and find something else. In good working condition, it's a $25 reel at best so unless you have a strong emotional/sentimental attachment to it, IMO you'll be better off replacing it rather than spending any money on trying to fix it.

flytie09

Reaction score
It’s difficult to diagnose without it in hand. It could be damaged beyond what you’d spend to fix it. Anything can be fixed…… but is it worth it?

The spindle or spool could be bent, it could just need a good lube job or have a nick that could be sanded out. Lube it up and fish it as is. It’s not worth the freight sending it anywhere. You could send it to me and I might be able to “fix” it for free. Or I could mess it up royally and you’d show up at my door wanting $20.

If you need a reel…. I’ve got one I can send you. I can’t take them with me. I’ll take one of those Scott G rods in return. A fair trade…. No?

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I cleaned the spool very well and got out all the gunk but the issue is still there. I still have to grease it so maybe that will do the trick. But if that doesn’t work I don’t know what to do. Does anyone know of a place that fixes fly reels? Orvis maybe?
My suggestion if you were serious about repair which I can assure you it will not be a couple dollars would be to contact Bill Archuletta at Archuletta's Reel Works (google) and use the phone first. I've met the fellow and been in his machine shop, he can fix reels and he can build them from scratch. I myself wouldn't count on grease doing anything other than making things gooey and would simply get another reel.