Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

flav

Reaction score
Hi Flav, I'm calling dibbs if you ever decide to part with it!

Nice reel!

Denny
Sorry, I think my wife would kill me if I ever unloaded one of her dad's reels. I have a matching Hardy Featherweight as well, and both are sweet reels. I wish they had a palming rim, but the check is pretty strong and even a fast running trout can't make the reel overrun.

ColinB09

Reaction score
reel fronts.jpgreel backs.jpg

Hi All: Here is my humble collection...

Top row left to right,
Orvis Battenkill 10/11 Disc, Orvis Battenkill 7/8 Disc, SA System 2 5/6L, Okuma Tempest, Pflueger 1834

Middle Row left to right,
Lamson DCA-3, Martin 67SSA, Spare spool SA, Orvis CFO III, Orvis Battenkill II

Bottom is spare spool for Lamson DCA-3.

They all get their time on the water!

Colin

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Colin and welcome :)

You should post more, maybe some images of your beautiful Province?

And Flav, don't worry about being able to handle fish on the Lightweight series Hardy reels, I've caught some huge fish off my Featherweight, you jus gotta be fast on the handle ;)

ColinB09

Reaction score
Hi Colin and welcome :)

You should post more, maybe some images of your beautiful Province?

And Flav, don't worry about being able to handle fish on the Lightweight series Hardy reels, I've caught some huge fish off my Featherweight, you jus gotta be fast on the handle ;)
Thanks Ard! And I will post some pics up soon! hoping for the water levels to come back up a bit! Rivers are quite low right now, same as almost everywhere I guess.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've been out there but loved every second of it. Hint: when I stayed at Ch'eticamp I rented a little efficiency cottage for $8.50 American and a 2 pound Lobster dinner over at Port aux Basques cost me $4.00. I came up twice while living in Pennsylvania. Caught some grilse but saw some big fish swirl in the Margaree and there was public water back in NB too. Beautiful country there, went all the way to Gros Morne and spent a week out there.

Just start a thread when you have the pics ready :)

COTater

Reaction score
Thanks and yeah it just alternates between red, white, and blue. It’s my first time getting multicolored backing and I’ll probably get it again for the next reel I buy, it’s definitely got a good look.
I have the Red, White & Blue backing on a Taylor Rev Z and a Nautilus CCF X2. Super cool stuff.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
My wonderful Hardy MLA 350 from the early efforts on Hardy's behalf to add performance design reels to their classic standards. I have in the past caught bonefish on this reel with a #7 Diamondback but its drag has declined for reasons I can not fathom to being trout appropriate only. It is going to make a wintertime excursion to Alnwick, England.

T21 006 Upstream+6 MLA 350.jpg

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never even touched one of those MLA reels but can kinda guess what type drag they used in them. If, and this is a stretch, if the drag has been left in the full on position for extended periods of time the drag discs can become squished. Compressed may be a better word but squished was what came to mind as my fingers were gliding across keys here. If that never happened then I'm out of guesses. Every reel I've ever owned that had anything from a dual pawl click check to the more sophisticated sealed carbon Sage Spectrum Max reels will exhibit issues if the tension is left on for extended periods.

Now that I've said that I must go check all my own reels ;)

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Hi Ard, I NEVER leave reel drags set to anything but zero when not in use. Also, this reel features an early innovation of what Hardy called an "Avocarb" disc, a carbon composite used by the British military's fighter jet brakes, non compressible. I thought maybe I contaminated it with too much light lubricant but have washed it out with soapy warm water. Both Hardy's leading reel expert in their employ for decades, going back to the Cortland days, on these shores and I have gone over it together. John Shaner has forgotten more about Hardy reels than the rest of us have ever known and we could not figure it out...somebody back in Alnwich I suspect will know. It is still a great and unusual reel highly regarded in it day as the ultimate in sea trout reels, it is fully machined and mid-arbor with fine aspect ratios. Way ahead of its time, it is still a fine reel...for trout.

adrien schnee

Reaction score
Paul, the Marquis looks great on your new Carpenter! I think you found a winner.

Richard, I believe you’re right that if John Shaner couldn’t find a solution to your diminished drag, then it pretty much needs a visit back to where it was born. Provided they have parts in Alnwick it should be possible to replace the drag if needed. Neat reel, I admit I have not seen one before that I recall.

burk48237

Reaction score
The up dated Family photo: From L to R BACK ROW Hardy Mark IV Bougle 4", Hardy St John, Hardy Taupo Perfect 3 7/8", Cortland Current 9/10, Two Orvis Hydros 7/8 weights (they were closing them out-cheaper than buying spools), MIDDLE ROW Bauer Rogue 8/9, Hardy Marquis Salmon 1, Bauer McKenzie 6/7, Hardy Princess, Cortland Current 5/6, FRONT ROW Mid 70s Hardy Perfect 3 1/8 (owned by Rusty Gates), SA System 6, Hardy JLH 5, Winston Perfect 2 7/8", Hardy St George 2 7/8", Hardy Featherweight. Here's the photo and the shot of the St George on my Boo.

IMG_1370 (1).jpegN Branck  0194 (2 of 1).jpeg