Reel Trouble: Classic or Modern for Glass?

Scooter1942

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently lucked into a new old stock Orvis Superfine Glass 7' 3wt rod. I'm in the process of pairing it with a reel and I think I've narrowed it down to two...both of which I already own.

The first is a Hardy LRH Lightweight. It balances very well, if just a weeeee bit heavy. But, it is a vintage classic, looks good with the seat hardware, and is a fine piece of kit, etc.

The other is a Galvan Brookie 3/4 in silver. It too, matches the seat hardware, has a better handle, larger arbor, but has a much more modern skeletonized aesthetic.

Both are proportionally close to the same diameter. The Galvan Brookie is about 6/tenths of an ounce lighter than the Hardy so it might be a wee bit tip heavy as compared to the Hardy.

Given that I'm ultimately going to sell one...which would you keep?

Meuniere

Reaction score
Hardy. Except you'll wind up with another light rod, eventually, that the Brookie 3/4 will be perfect for. The thing I decided some time ago is not to sell stuff unless I needed to, for whatever reason. Having some extra gear always seems to work out one way or another. Good luck!

flav

Reaction score
I sometimes fish with an LRH on my favorite 3 weight, even though the specs list it as a 5 weight reel. I have mine loaded with a 3 weight Rio single hand Spey line, which is overweight, so I need the extra line capacity. I wish the reel had a palming rim, like the Galvan, so I only use it occasionally and usually fish it with different reel.

I'd try your line of choice on both reels before you sell one. You may be surprised that you prefer one over the other.

Southerncaster

Reaction score
I've thought about putting a somewhat heavier DT-5 on the LRH and trying it on the 5wt 7'6" cane, but for now not in a hurry to do it. The LRH currently has a Mastery wf-4-f on it.

flav

Reaction score
If you want a palming rim, try the Hardy Marquis.
I have several reels with palming rims, including a Marquis. I love it, but mine's too big for that little 3 weight. The one I'm using most on my 3 weight right now is a Redington Drift in a 5/6. It's super light, holds the 2+ over weighted SHS line, has a palming rim, and makes a nice sound when a good fish rips line.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What size is the Hardy?
Little bigger than a Featherweight and smaller than a Princess, about 3.25 " diameter I think. I'm forced to leave it at that because I don't have one here. On the original question I think it is a matter of personal preference, what look and feel does a fella like. I have and use different types of reels from old Hardys I've been using for over 40 years to brand new fancy carbon fiber framed reels. I like em all.

Upstate08

Reaction score
What Ard said, your personal preference (on both weight and looks) will decide. I recently went through the same process with a classic Abel TR and more modern Galvan Torque on a superfine glass rod. I thought I’d like the Galvan but ended up going classic. It balances the rod better and I like the look.

If you post some pics we might have better insights for you. Either way, have fun and enjoy the setup 🍻
image.jpg

Nonno

Reaction score
At 3.2 inch diameter maybe the Hardy is about 2/10 inch too big, but after looking at the Brookie, . . . .
Put the Hardy on it! 😱

Scooter1942

Reaction score
Maybe I can get pics tomorrow. I spooled up the line and backing on the Brookie and it does balance a bit better and feels lighter in the hand which is kind of important when fishing a 3 wt. The polished silver is a perfect match with the reel seat hardware.

That said, I am kind of on a vintage reel kick having bought two Hardy's, two old Ross Colorado's and a Hardy made CFO III 25th anniversary, along with an Abel made CFO 1 that currently is paired with my Sweetgrass 3wt boo.